IGNORED

Which V60?

• 1 month later...
On 31/01/2021 at 09:15, jaffro said:

Yeah, I wanted something a little more eco friendly thank throwing away paper every brew! 

I spotted the cloth filter Co on Square Mile's insta. Thought I'd try them having, but have had crap experiences with hemp filters before... I was actually impressed at how many different brewers they make cloth filters for! 

They are a blend of cotton and hemp.

On 31/01/2021 at 19:44, Hairy_Hogg said:

Sorry, it was not a filter it was a V60 with steeper sides I think designed by a Japanese champion barista

Tetsu Kasuya

I've gone the opposite way, from ceramic to plastic.

Only reason being the plastic has a bigger exit hole (ooo ar matron)

I'm getting a quicker pour over and less clogging.

Been using an 01 plastic a few years now. Bought it since it was cheap and won't shatter if I drop it on the floor (which I have done multiple times). A metal version might be suitable if frequent encounters with the floor is expected.

As far as the insulation properties, I doubt they make a noticeable difference that can't be compensated by something else.

Edited by Zephyp
  • 1 month later...

I remember watching someone awhile ago saying plastic  > glass > ceramic. Mainly their argument is that the ridges in ceramic is shallower comparing to glass and even more so than the plastic version (something to do with the production method/painting techniques). As a result, appearently the filter paper stick onto the side wall and end up with a longer draw down compare to glass and plastic. 

However, I'm not sure there will be a mark difference with how the coffee taste tho. 

8 hours ago, hayhayc said:

I remember watching someone awhile ago saying plastic  > glass > ceramic. Mainly their argument is that the ridges in ceramic is shallower comparing to glass and even more so than the plastic version (something to do with the production method/painting techniques). As a result, appearently the filter paper stick onto the side wall and end up with a longer draw down compare to glass and plastic. 

However, I'm not sure there will be a mark difference with how the coffee taste tho. 

I have glass, ceramic & plastic, luckily I also have an adjustable grinder...this means I can brew the same coffee with all of them :-)

Plastic doesn't break when you drop it.

Glass works fine but I find it  bit more irksome/bitty to clean.

Ceramic just needs a flush with hot water after a brew.

Don't obsess over draw down, or total brew time. Focus on consistent pour regime, pour timings & grind size.

Edited by MWJB

Plastic seems to be recommended by most due to thermal properties, durability and cost.  I have the 02 as I often brew more than one cup.  Expect to get an 01 also in plastic for the office if/when we go back.