5 hours ago, J_Fo said:

Additional non coffee ingredients...!!??

Come on, spill the beans...??

(please tell me it wasn't beans)

🤣

No it wasn't beans.

Was all sparked off by whisky really. Big fan of sherry and port barrelled whiskies, but because the barrels are extremely expensive compared to the oak bourbon barrels (because bourbon barrels legally have to be used only once) the whiskies tend to be pricey too. So I started to wonder what would happen if I added tiny quantities of sherry or port to whisky. 

So I did, and the results were phenomenal.

This led me to thinking about coffee descriptors (blueberry, chocolate, nut etc) and especially about the power of suggestion and marketing. Which in turn led me to thinking that if people like chocolately coffee, why not add chocolate. So I did. In fact I looked at a wide range of coffee descriptors and added a wide range of ingredients with varying degrees of success. Some were vile (blueberries don't taste like blueberries) but some were very surprising and I still use them, not all the time, but for added depth of flavour.

I could go on about this for ages, but I'd probably bore you to death and upset the purists.

• Like 3

This sounds crazy but fascinating! Can you give me examples? Does the stuff actually go in the portafilter?

Tamp level and tamp light but don’t worry too much about the force you are applying as you will never apply the amount of force like the water hitting the puck at 9 bar. Just be consistent in what you do so that you limit the number of variants at play. This is especially important if you change beans often and are having to dial in beans frequently. 

• Like 1

Coffee. Because murder is wrong. 

56 minutes ago, J_Fo said:

This sounds crazy but fascinating! Can you give me examples? Does the stuff actually go in the portafilter?

Yes, it all went in the portafilter. I should also add that it was also craft beer that influenced me as well, with new world hops like amarillo and citra used to give tropical fruit aroma. If people want beer that tastes of passion fruit, why not just add passion fruit?

This is all off-topic, and I can see from what this forum has become that zis vill not be tolerated! so I'll keep it brief.

What didn't work? Fruit that wasn't in dry powder form. Chocolate. In fact anything in its natural hydrated form tended to give a weird bloated flavour. The only exception was small quantities (ie match head size) of orange peel....which was marvellous.

What worked? Cocoa nib, dessicated coconut, mango powder, and probably the best and most surprising was leather.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I like to tamp hard..  why, I seem to get more consistent results 🤷‍♂️ if its the same grams of coffee a.d the distributor stays the same it's the same tamp every time.

Just my two beans worth 

It really doesn’t matter that much as the water will be hitting the puck at 9bar (or however your machine is set.) Get the puck flat and level, jobs a gud’un. 

Coffee. Because murder is wrong. 

• 4 weeks later...

20kg. How do I know?

Using a Puqpress which esteemed reviewers mostly say is not recommended for prosumer use but its been a game changer for me. Incredibly consistent pours. I'm sure that many people, more experienced than me, would not need it but for me it's taken one variable out. 

15 minutes ago, tompoland said:

20kg. How do I know?

Using a Puqpress which esteemed reviewers mostly say is not recommended for prosumer use but its been a game changer for me. Incredibly consistent pours. I'm sure that many people, more experienced than me, would not need it but for me it's taken one variable out. 

There is in fact one in the classifieds at the moment

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

Looks like a Q2 which is for a busy Cafe. mine is a Q1 for small cafes or home use. I paid equivalent of £450 for my Q1. A Q2 for home use is probably a wee bit OTT even more than a Q1.

On 18/04/2021 at 10:28, tompoland said:

20kg. How do I know?

What happens if you change it to 25kg 

I've tried all sorts of tamping pressures with a calibrated tamper. I use 30sec fixed timed shots and check weigh what comes out. 15kg suits me and lower results in more variation. ;) Higher more effort than needed. Grinds distribution in the basket needs to be even though also in terms of any compression in them.

7 hours ago, Rob1 said:

hulk-smash-gif.gif

Pretty much of the same view as @DavecUK who is vastly more experienced than me, in that it does not make much difference at all. Or at 10kg. The main thing is the consistency and dialling in the grind size. But from 20kg to 25kg there is no difference. The evenness of the tamp and making sure there are no channels, that's 90% of the ball game.  For the former I initially used a level to see how consistent the levelness was. 

l2.jpg

@tompoland A mate bought me 2 little levels for Christmas, and a headphone stand....now I know exactly what to do with the little round level 😉

• Like 1

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

1 hour ago, tompoland said:

For the former I initially used a level to see how consistent the levelness was.

;) I wondered where I was going wrong. When I hold the portafilter out of level the grinds are too.

• Like 2