IGNORED

So my minima has arrived

Nice vid jake, some strange choices but clearly a capable machine if not the best at the price point. That drip tray flex is a bit of an odd one, I’d be surprised if that wasn’t fixed, lots of manufacturers seem to have left the drip tray as an afterthought over the years. How much space is wasted in the water tank area? Round pegs for straight holes! Or is there something else down there?

• Like 1
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys  So im on my 1500th machine and grinder 😂 Ended up getting a stainless steel minima from @BlackCatCoffee next day delivery on a bloody pallet!!! So un packed, flushed and flushe

Ive since modded the drip tray 😁          

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Northern_Monkey said:

@Cuprajake - Nice to put a voice to the forum member!

Looks like you do get a whole lot of machine for your money though. I could see why they chose a simple water container like that for cost/space saving, the open top does make it easier to get your hand in for cleaning as well.

Definitely on my list in case my old style Mara meets an unfortunate end. Wish for an extra £60 they braced the metal drip tray from flexing and gave a steel waste tray though...

I was surprised by the flex on the drip tray initially, but I don’t notice it in regular use. The powder coated drip tray is a bit more rigid. The waste tray does leave a lot to be desired - I suppose it does its job and is hidden away.

For me the steam wand works well, although I have space to the right side of the machine (I actually use it straight on). It does get very hot though even if using the rubber grip! If anything the hot water placement could be better, although I don’t really use it.

I’m no expert but the internals look very solid and as Jake mentioned, the steel is a thick gauge. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e583ae56609a9659a53b50eaad44e3f8.jpeg

Yeah its alot of machine, the only other competition is the Elizabeth at this price point and while very capable, the looks just dont do it for me. 

Both the drip tray and water container dont bother me, its plastic, easy to clean and cheap to replace should i ever need it, 

In echos of my last elba machine that had a magnetic drip tray, i may buy a small marine safe rubber coated magnet to serve as a shelf/anchor point for the tray. 

If it annoys me, i just thought id be honest

Way too early for this sh...

28 minutes ago, Cuprajake said:

Just helps people, theres not really that much info about the minima in terms of vids. 

Thanks @Cuprajake I’m sure that will help a lot of prospective buyers. If I needed a big steam boiler I’d definitely be interested in getting one 

On 08/02/2021 at 22:27, Cuprajake said:

This is great @Cuprajake.  As one of “those people” who get irked by little things, this video swung me to the Lelit Elizabeth.  Thanks for the video.

Edited by Kjk
  • Like 1

PMA all day!

So been playing with the baskets today, must say that im really impressed with the quality of the stock basket. 

In terms of shot, the only real difference between that and the ims seems to be ridgeless 

Heres a stock basket pull of a hasbean honduras. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Ive found it really good 

I dont always use the steam either. I was told best way to run it was only use steam when needed anyway, so my kasa timer plug turns the machine on half hour before we get up, then should i need steam then i flick it on, tskes 5 mins if that to get up to temp. 

I just run some water out once a week, but tbh as i make my own water, it cant physically scale 🤣🤣

For its price imo theres nothing to touch it. 

• Like 1

Cheers, 

That's really helpful. I will be on bottled water, so won't want to be wasting, but hopefully okay given the temps it will be up at. I also think I might need it once the family start coming round again... They'll all want something out of it! 

I note you've mentioned the noise a few times as well - how noisy is it when warming up? Can you hear it before you get up? 

4 minutes ago, SuffolkDoug said:

Cheers, 

That's really helpful. I will be on bottled water, so won't want to be wasting, but hopefully okay given the temps it will be up at. I also think I might need it once the family start coming round again... They'll all want something out of it! 

I note you've mentioned the noise a few times as well - how noisy is it when warming up? Can you hear it before you get up? 

It might autofill the service boiler for 10s max, (probably 3s) if you have used it the previous day and it was close to refilling...because water contracts when it cools and goes below the probe detector. Other than that, it's pretty much silent when warming up.

Edited by DavecUK

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

Im being really fussy sound wise, its just like any vibe pump, its me more than the machie, warm up wise silent bar a tiny bit of heating noise, but that you need to put an ear to. The pump will run for a second or so if a boiler needs filling. 

The family coming round was what swayed me to the minima, massive boilers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cuprajake said:

I just run some water out once a week, but tbh as i make my own water, it cant physically scale 🤣🤣

39 minutes ago, SuffolkDoug said:

The water Cuprajake is using is RODI water with added potassium bicarbonate, so it can't scale because there's no hardness. Bottled water is different as there will be hardness present and it will concentrate to the point scaling will occur when the service boiler is used as you evaporate water as steam and leave the minerals present behind.

I got into the habit of turning the machine on before bed to let it auto-fill so it didn't do it when it came on in the morning. This is something you could easily put into a timer too.

Edited by Rob1
  • Like 1