IGNORED

Issues with used Gaggia Classic

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last update... The seller contacted me and gave me the option of a slightly better offer than the previous one, or return the machine. I decided to keep it and see what I'll do with it. I guess I

I now have the "work in progress machine" I cannot refuse a challenge and hope to resurrect this machine! @Chrisrov drove over from Brum to mine to collect the 2007 Classic, so it seemed chu

I can confirm the above! Pulled my first shot and I enjoyed a very nice espresso! I used a bottomless portafilter and the cup is narrow, so there was a bit of spill early on, but not bad for

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, EvilLewis said:

I'm looking at used classics for my first machine and trying to avoid the minefield that is buying used machines on eBay.

Good luck 

19 minutes ago, EvilLewis said:

@Gilly are you tuli1960gill on eBay?

I'm looking at used classics for my first machine and trying to avoid the minefield that is buying used machines on eBay.

Yes that’s me!!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Yes that’s me!!

Good to know I've found one reputable seller at least. I figured as much from the listings. Those machines look beautiful! Bet they'll fetch a decent price. I've got them both on my watch list.

10 hours ago, Gilly said:

Thanks Ratty; I auction my totally refurbished machines on there and have many happy and loyal customers as they know they are getting a proper stripped down and rebuilt machine from an enthusiast who is also on many forums.

I don’t advertise on forums because I like my machines to go for what people think they are worth giving everyone a fair chance.

I love doing what I do and spend endless hours enhancing my Classics. The only downsize to this is courier services who think they can just throw parcels around willy nilly, good job I double box!

6 hours ago, bluesith said:

I tried my best to get one but the bidding was ferocious lol . I decided to gamble on another one of the same year and learn to do the modifications myself . Servicing next at some point when I've watched every video on the net . 

Yes exactly, especially lately with the lockdown, it has got crazy. I tried too, but the bidding just got too fierce. And that's how I ended up with this piece of junk lol

15 minutes ago, Chrisrov said:

Yes exactly, especially lately with the lockdown, it has got crazy. I tried too, but the bidding just got too fierce. And that's how I ended up with this piece of junk lol

Any luck with a refund?

Edited by Uncletits
2 minutes ago, Uncletits said:

Any luck with a refund?

I requested the refund yesterday and I also sent quite a few messages to the seller, describing the issue, with pictures.

E-bay gives the seller 3 days to accept the return, and then if there's no response, you open up a case and e-bay steps in to resolve it.

The seller has not responded to any of my messages, nor has he accepted the return yet. I sent him another message today, saying that if he does not accept it before Jan 30th, I will open a dispute with e-bay and with PayPal, using all the evidence I have that the item is defective and not as advertised.

I hope it will be an easy win, if he does not respond by then.

24 minutes ago, Chrisrov said:

I requested the refund yesterday and I also sent quite a few messages to the seller, describing the issue, with pictures.

E-bay gives the seller 3 days to accept the return, and then if there's no response, you open up a case and e-bay steps in to resolve it.

The seller has not responded to any of my messages, nor has he accepted the return yet. I sent him another message today, saying that if he does not accept it before Jan 30th, I will open a dispute with e-bay and with PayPal, using all the evidence I have that the item is defective and not as advertised.

I hope it will be an easy win, if he does not respond by then.

Fingers crossed for you

Everyone on here is really helpful and genuine 

Neil

1 hour ago, Uncletits said:

Fingers crossed for you

Everyone on here is really helpful and genuine 

Neil

Thanks Neil!

Yes, that's true, as I said in one of my previous posts, this forum is gold!

I will try and get a decent espresso machine from the forum, as soon as I get my refund, which I hope will be very soon, because I really miss my morning and my after-lunch espresso!!! 

I don't think I will gamble with e-bay again, after what happened, unless it's from a reputable seller like @Gilly 

Update: The seller offered me a partial refund, in order for me to keep the machine at a lower price. He has offered £107.35 refund, which means that it would cost me £80 to keep it.

Any advice? Should I keep it with that price, try to fix what I can, and worst case sell it in its current condition for £80, to break even?

Or just don't bother, refuse the offer and go for the full return and refund?

• Like 1

I guess depends how much time you have on your hands and how much you're keen on rebuilding the machine. 

Just scanning through the thread there looks like a lot of work is needed to bring it back to good health. My main concern would be if the bits you can see and easily get to are in that bad a shape, what would the inside of the boiler o and other bits be like.... 

If it were me, I think it would be going back

Just now, Gav86 said:

I guess depends how much time you have on your hands and how much you're keen on rebuilding the machine. 

Just scanning through the thread there looks like a lot of work is needed to bring it back to good health. My main concern would be if the bits you can see and easily get to are in that bad a shape, what would the inside of the boiler o and other bits be like.... 

If it were me, I think it would be going back

I refused the offer. The seller sent me a message that I found outrageous and offensive.

He sent me a link of a video that showed the machine working, and claimed that I admitted of having damaged the machine under my possession!!!

I replied to him that it doesn't take an expert to see that all the rust and destroyed parts in the pictures, would need more time than a few hours that I had the machine in my possession to develop! I said that I find his message and his offer offensive, and that I am happy to open a dispute and let e-bay resolve this, if he wishes to go that way.

• Like 1

@Chrisrov.

This not me asking to buy it (if you did sell then it would be an ad open to all) but at that price plus postage to wherever in the country, I'd say it's a fair purchase if I/somebody wants a project. 

If you absolutely don't want a project then it leaves you options. Reject the offer, demand return. Accept offer but offer for sale here or eBay / Gumtree as a project and you should get your money back that way.

If you are prepared to go for a project, then cost out replacement stats for brew and steam, second hand steam wand, second hand boiler, new gaskets throughout. I guess you could get those for a lot less than the reduction in cost, but you'd have a lot of work.

As a comparison I’ve recently acquired three Classics all in better condition and paid less than what you paid for this one

I work on mine between chores for a couple of hours at the weekends and love doing it

If you want a project then I also think £80 is okay but it will need time to renovate

Neil

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Chrisrov said:

I refused the offer. The seller sent me a message that I found outrageous and offensive.

He sent me a link of a video that showed the machine working, and claimed that I admitted of having damaged the machine under my possession!!!

I replied to him that it doesn't take an expert to see that all the rust and destroyed parts in the pictures, would need more time than a few hours that I had the machine in my possession to develop! I said that I find his message and his offer offensive, and that I am happy to open a dispute and let e-bay resolve this, if he wishes to go that way.

It's so frustrating and infuriating to hear sellers like that, and it only means more headaches for you. 

Hope this gets sorted and a machine can be sourced that you can enjoy once again. 

Let us know how you get on. 

• Like 1

Stick to your guns and go for a full refund.

Projects are fine if you have tools , time and the skills to complete. Also the expense is viable /worthwhile.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, HDAV said:

In the circumstances full refund this is what it should look like inside (2005 machine)

E23ACDFD-A8B2-49CE-98B6-48C09A95EDB9.jpeg

91505C27-253E-4F16-85EC-9A1033345EFA.jpeg

E573CDAE-7FC6-431F-8151-44BFD7A23AA2.jpeg

That's exactly what I was aiming for and what I was hoping to receive...

Looking at the seller, I see that he has all sorts of things for sale, from clothes to macbooks... He is a professional seller, who buys things and resells. I think it's obvious that he bought this machine, and didn't even bother to open the lid and check the condition before putting it for sale.

But on the other hand, any professional seller, would feel ashamed that such a junk was sold from their account and would immediately accept a return, apologizing for the terrible condition that the machine was in, avoiding bad feedback and a dispute that would stay at their account's history. The fact that he claimed that I destroyed the machine under my possession, just because I said that the pump was wobbly and it just fell off when I moved it, is simply outrageous, unprofessional and enraging. I don't think he will have a chance if a dispute will be opened, because it is obvious from the pictures that the condition of the machine is not something that could have happened during the few hours that I've had the machine here. It would take magical powers to create all this wear and rust during this time.

The issue is that I can't make an espresso until I get my hands on a proper machine! And THAT is driving me mad!

Even if I got a good offer and kept the machine as a project during my weekends, I would still need to buy another machine asap, as the v60 is just not good enough to replace a nice espresso...

• Like 1
On 27/01/2021 at 21:26, Chrisrov said:

We were almost bidding against each other . I was put off because I thought it said only collection in London.

I hope you get a favourable decision in your dispute.

• Like 1