IGNORED

Issues with used Gaggia Classic

I think I should return it and find one in a good condition, with maybe a few quid extra cost... 

I decided I don't have the time to invest in order to refurbish this one. Would be fun to do it actually, but I really don't have the time for it.

I will keep the bottomless portafilter, the tamper and the vst basket and I hope I will be using them soon with a proper machine!

I will give a heads up on how it went, but I hope there will be no issue, as it is clear from the pictures that the machine is definitely NOT as described and is in a non-working condition...

Thank you all for the help and for the advice, this forum is gold!

• Like 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last update... The seller contacted me and gave me the option of a slightly better offer than the previous one, or return the machine. I decided to keep it and see what I'll do with it. I guess I

I now have the "work in progress machine" I cannot refuse a challenge and hope to resurrect this machine! @Chrisrov drove over from Brum to mine to collect the 2007 Classic, so it seemed chu

I can confirm the above! Pulled my first shot and I enjoyed a very nice espresso! I used a bottomless portafilter and the cup is narrow, so there was a bit of spill early on, but not bad for

Posted Images

I have requested the return and I have sent several messages to the seller with all the info and pictures, no messages from him yet... Let's see...

Still trying to fix whatever I can, I noticed a leak on the top of the boiler (see picture), which explains the rust there...

I picked up the bolt shown in the other picture, just by gently pulling it out. It was just sitting loose there, with some old destroyed seal around it. I applied some ptfe, pushed it back in, and there is no leak now. Still no water coming through the brew head though... Looking at the condition there at the top of the boiler, I think that this machine would need a new boiler...

And still the very loud sound coming from the pump. I also tried the short term solution in the video posted by @Allicat, but still nothing.

I unscrewed the opv, there doesn't seem to be any blockage there. I can't bother to thoroughly check the seals, bolts and pipes by taking the machine apart now... I think I will give up and hope that the return will be accepted soon...

20210126_180629.jpg

20210126_175005.jpg

20210126_174850.jpg20210126_194943.thumb.jpg.31be2bd27c5cf6ae0009d980064558d6.jpg

Edited by Chrisrov

Just read your post and I’m disgusted that someone would sell a Classic in this condition to you. How was it described?

If it was described as excellent I would return it and ask for s full refund.

I frequently sell on eBay and all my machines are fully dismantled including thee very  boiler and serviced with new bits where required. I would be very careful whom you buy from in future. Always look at their feedback and make sure they accept returns.

How much did you pay?

• Like 1

If you don’t mind me asking who was the seller?

It makes my blood boil when this happens; too many folk have jumped on the price increase bandwagon and think they can pass off anything. 

The hours that I put into restoring my machines properly and carefully as an enthusiast,makes my heckles rise when this happens from a cheapskate who doesn’t care about the recipients experience the other end.

IF YOU SAY ITS BEEN SERVICED/ REBUILT/DESCALED THEN MAKE SURE IT HAS.

A64A5AE3-09D0-4571-A2F5-6EB523B7511C.jpeg

A43BA68A-6CD7-4518-9D53-A31256CB9A2F.jpeg

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Just read your post and I’m disgusted that someone would sell a Classic in this condition to you. How was it described?

If it was described as excellent I would return it and ask for s full refund.

I frequently sell on eBay and all my machines are fully dismantled including thee very  boiler and serviced with new bits where required. I would be very careful whom you buy from in future. Always look at their feedback and make sure they accept returns.

How much did you pay?

It was described as 

"Incredibly well cared for Gaggia Classic from 2003.

Regularly serviced and de-scaled. Recently replaced the rubber seals throughout.

Comes with new Gaggia portafilter and handle.

Grab an absolute bargain!"

Well, I paid 183£ + postage for the absolute bargain, which is not working, and in terrible condition!!!

Of course I asked for a refund, still waiting for the seller's approval. The seller has 100% positive feedback, with 244 reviews, so I was trusting tat there would not be an issue... Well... I was wrong

PS. I would love to get my hands on one of your machines, after I (hopefully) get my refund.

• Like 1

This is the problem with buying from an auction site.

People's ideas of well looked after are definitely not all the same!

You are better off normally buying from this site rather than the bay or marketplace, especially when they are advertised as refurbished unless all the stripped down photos are included in the ad or you have the time and inclination to spend literally hours refurbishing a slightly cheaper machine.

The going price for a machine has gone up significantly in the last 12 months plus the market for used spares has almost dried up. Refurbishers are now paying between £100 to £150 for a machine that needs lots of work and a fair bit of money thrown at it. So really they've become a labour of love to keep the old machines going as they should work, not a road to a refurbishing profit, if done correctly.

You will pay now £200 for a refurbished machine with all new seals and bolts and strip down with a full descale of all the parts, the OPV set to 9 bar and a rancilio sylvia steam wand fitted if you're lucky!

Any further mods will usually increase the price even more. With a PID fitted add an extra £50. Fitting one yourself after buying will cost you a few £'s under £100.

Edited by ratty
for clarity
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, Chrisrov said:

I picked up the bolt shown in the other picture, just by gently pulling it out. It was just sitting loose there, with some old destroyed seal around it. I applied some ptfe, pushed it back in, and there is no leak now. Still no water coming through the brew head though... Looking at the condition there at the top of the boiler, I think that this machine would need a new boiler...

20210126_174850.jpg20210126_194943.thumb.jpg.31be2bd27c5cf6ae0009d980064558d6.jpg

Yeah boiler threads knackered should be no tape on the threads steaM valve looks in bad shape too.... 

With all the knackered components that you can see, plus all the corrosion and difficulty in dismantling  your only sensible option is a full refund.

1.pump.   2. boiler.  3.steam valve.  4. possibly brew head.  5. seals, stats , bolts.

Totally NOT as described by any measure.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, ratty said:

This is the problem with buying from an auction site.

People's ideas of well looked after are definitely not all the same!

You are better off normally buying from this site rather than the bay or marketplace, especially when they are advertised as refurbished unless all the stripped down photos are included in the ad or you have the time and inclination to spend literally hours refurbishing a slightly cheaper machine.

The going price for a machine has gone up significantly in the last 12 months plus the market for used spares has almost dried up. Refurbishers are now paying between £100 to £150 for a machine that needs lots of work and a fair bit of money thrown at it. So really they've become a labour of love to keep the old machines going as they should work, not a road to a refurbishing profit, if done correctly.

You will pay now £200 for a refurbished machine with all new seals and bolts and strip down with a full descale of all the parts, the OPV set to 9 bar and a rancilio sylvia steam wand fitted if you're lucky!

Any further mods will usually increase the price even more. With a PID fitted add an extra £50. Fitting one yourself after buying will cost you a few £'s under £100.

Thanks Ratty; I auction my totally refurbished machines on there and have many happy and loyal customers as they know they are getting a proper stripped down and rebuilt machine from an enthusiast who is also on many forums.

I don’t advertise on forums because I like my machines to go for what people think they are worth giving everyone a fair chance.

I love doing what I do and spend endless hours enhancing my Classics. The only downsize to this is courier services who think they can just throw parcels around willy nilly, good job I double box!

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Chrisrov said:

It was described as 

"Incredibly well cared for Gaggia Classic from 2003.

Regularly serviced and de-scaled. Recently replaced the rubber seals throughout.

Comes with new Gaggia portafilter and handle.

Grab an absolute bargain!"

Well, I paid 183£ + postage for the absolute bargain, which is not working, and in terrible condition!!!

Of course I asked for a refund, still waiting for the seller's approval. The seller has 100% positive feedback, with 244 reviews, so I was trusting tat there would not be an issue... Well... I was wrong

PS. I would love to get my hands on one of your machines, after I (hopefully) get my refund.

It’s  tuli1960gill but even if you don’t buy from me make sure the condition is backed up with photos, and always check feedback.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, El carajillo said:

With all the knackered components that you can see, plus all the corrosion and difficulty in dismantling  your only sensible option is a full refund.

1.pump.   2. boiler.  3.steam valve.  4. possibly brew head.  5. seals, stats , bolts.

Totally NOT as described by any measure.

The thing is, that for somebody with the time tools and experience some of the above items wouldn't need to be replaced, they could be repaired. For example, we know the steam wand can be repaired in ways to stop leaks. The boiler, as long as it's only the thread could be tapped and heli-coiled, the brew head may need drilling the old bolts out but can hopefully be saved. That's not to disagree with @El carajillo it's just the difference between a madman who has tools for almost any job they encounter (guilty) and the average person (the sort whose eBay account doesn't need to have limits applied to safeguard both bank balance and workshop space).

4 hours ago, Gilly said:

Thanks Ratty; I auction my totally refurbished machines on there and have many happy and loyal customers as they know they are getting a proper stripped down and rebuilt machine from an enthusiast who is also on many forums.

I don’t advertise on forums because I like my machines to go for what people think they are worth giving everyone a fair chance.

I love doing what I do and spend endless hours enhancing my Classics. The only downsize to this is courier services who think they can just throw parcels around willy nilly, good job I double box!

I tried my best to get one but the bidding was ferocious lol . I decided to gamble on another one of the same year and learn to do the modifications myself . Servicing next at some point when I've watched every video on the net . 

1 hour ago, AndyDClements said:

The thing is, that for somebody with the time tools and experience some of the above items wouldn't need to be replaced, they could be repaired. For example, we know the steam wand can be repaired in ways to stop leaks. The boiler, as long as it's only the thread could be tapped and heli-coiled, the brew head may need drilling the old bolts out but can hopefully be saved. That's not to disagree with @El carajillo it's just the difference between a madman who has tools for almost any job they encounter (guilty) and the average person (the sort whose eBay account doesn't need to have limits applied to safeguard both bank balance and workshop space).

I agree, but this doesn't change the fact that this machine was definitely not sold as described, so it should be returned.

I am the average user that you describe, I just want to get a machine that works properly. In order to 100% fix this one, the tools that I would need to get, would probably cost as much as the spares to replace them lol

Whenever I buy something, I always get it with the purpose of using it right away, so I expect it to be in a good working condition, as described in the ad.

I am able to do modifications, and sometimes I even enjoy it, but I would like that to be a choice, not a needed repair in order to make the machine work properly. Unless of course this is clearly stated in the ad, which then makes it my choice and that's fair.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, AndyDClements said:

I have the tools and the skill but I would not waste time renovating that:yuk: