Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all

I’m new to the forum, having lurked for some time. I’ve recently purchased a gaggia selecta deluxe (it has the chassis of classic but internal parts I believe of a slightly lesser machine) for a very reasonable used priced. I previously about 5 years ago had a gaggia cubika which I never rated but this seems to be steps ahead (it may be that at the time I worked at costa and was used to their machine but haven’t touched a commercial machine in at least 5 years). Thanks to one of the members I’ve already upgraded the steam wand and given a good descale. 
 

I have a cuisinart grinder which I’ve never really rated for my filter and have tried it with my espresso machine and the grind is extremely inconsistent and poor meaning this will need to be the first upgrade. 
 

There is a lot of discussion about the SGP on the forum but I can’t find chatter about my specific query. 
 

The SGP suits my needs because, amongst my new espresso machine, I regularly use a V60, aero press, french press and bialetti (variety being the spice of life..) and the SGP seems to be the most adept at easily switching between uses. 
 

some people seem to rate the espresso grind and others not so much. Given my variety of applications and limited space on the countertop, I don’t think i can justify several grinders for specific applications. Would the SGP suit and if not, what are the alternatives (I can easily find dedicated espresso grinders but none with such a wide range for multiple applications). 
 

looking forward to some advice!

Alex 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a false economy to buy cheap. Based on the experience of other users you'll see the shortcomings of the SGP quite quickly. I can't say anything about it specifically but I can say, avoid cheap small conical burr grinders with poor alignment and poor burr mounting. I'm not sure the Iberital MC2 was bad because it was plastic and the burrs would move under stress, or if it was all down to the motor, probably a mix of the two. I've also had a delonghi grinder that was a similar story to the MC2 only somehow much worse. I've had hand grinders with 'floating' burrs that didn't have bearings directly above or below the burrs and compared to grinders with double or triple bearings (a bearing above and below the burrs at least, one at the top where you crank if there's a third) there is absolutely no comparison even though the burr sets are the same size. With that in mind I'd always advise a good hand grinder like a Lido or 1zpresso JX/JX-Pro (which many currently have on the forum), there are plenty of other good hand grinders around too. The reason I'd advise them is they hold their value very well and will provide a very good grind quality for all your brew methods; should you wish to upgrade or switch to a motorised grinder in the future reselling won't be difficult and you won't lose nearly as much as with a motorised grinder. 

This kickstarter looks very promising for a hand grinder that's also designed to be motorised. 

 

RE Machine, looking through this thread might be useful to you. Had a quick glance and there doesn't seem to be much to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a SGP that I used for a month or two before I found something far better suited to my habits in the For Sale section of this forum - I need to post it onto ebay at some point.

It did the job, and my one was able to grind high-altitude light roasts fine enough to choke a Gaggia Classic without needing to change the default calibration.

It has lots of features and bells/whistles that I really didn't use, it's not very easy to clean, using the supplied grinds bin is a static nightmare, and I suspect something would wear out or break shortly after the warranty period expired. You should assume that the £200 you spend on one of these grinders will last you a couple of years of light domestic use (2-3 cups of coffee/day tops), after which you will need to replace it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent months researching the very same topic. I ended up getting the SGP against what I had researched as I got it fairly priced. Honestly? It's a decent bit of kit for the price and a good introduction to the world of grinding. Best of all; it holds it's resale value.  

 

Those that slate it, there's a few reviewers that are in the 5year club on the original set up. So go figure. Whatever you're getting without jumping to the bigger machines are fairly similar in this price bracket. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DarkShadow said:

 

 

Those that slate it, there's a few reviewers that are in the 5year club on the original set up. 

 

 

What's the 5 year club?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alex W said:

Hi all

I’m new to the forum, having lurked for some time. I’ve recently purchased a gaggia selecta deluxe (it has the chassis of classic but internal parts I believe of a slightly lesser machine) for a very reasonable used priced. I previously about 5 years ago had a gaggia cubika which I never rated but this seems to be steps ahead (it may be that at the time I worked at costa and was used to their machine but haven’t touched a commercial machine in at least 5 years). Thanks to one of the members I’ve already upgraded the steam wand and given a good descale. 
 

I have a cuisinart grinder which I’ve never really rated for my filter and have tried it with my espresso machine and the grind is extremely inconsistent and poor meaning this will need to be the first upgrade. 
 

There is a lot of discussion about the SGP on the forum but I can’t find chatter about my specific query. 
 

The SGP suits my needs because, amongst my new espresso machine, I regularly use a V60, aero press, french press and bialetti (variety being the spice of life..) and the SGP seems to be the most adept at easily switching between uses. 
 

some people seem to rate the espresso grind and others not so much. Given my variety of applications and limited space on the countertop, I don’t think i can justify several grinders for specific applications. Would the SGP suit and if not, what are the alternatives (I can easily find dedicated espresso grinders but none with such a wide range for multiple applications). 
 

looking forward to some advice!

Alex 

I am in the same boat. I am looking of buying either SGP or Eureka Mignon SPECIALITA' to carry out my needs.

My requirements 

  • Mainly for expresso - switching between decaf and light roasted beans - 2-4 shots per day
  • On occasion, filter and french press - once a week or less
  • I am aware of Eureka PERFETTO however not keen on their 3/4 turn covering expresso to french press. Would rather to opt for SPECIALITA', which has 2 full turns for precision

Cons with SGP, I have read a few comments stating that there is a lack of tuning e.g. going from setting 11.6 to 11.7 (from burr adjustment) resulting too much change when pulling a shot.

Cons with Mignon, lack of ability to switch back to your old setting (for espresso for example after having a filter coffee).

Would like to point out that I don't mind having a somewhat decent shot after changing the setting from French press for example (when i say a somehow decent shot - i mean my coffee machine takes approx. 25-35 seconds to complete the shot). Then it would take about 3-4 further tunings to perfect it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm...I read that review. It's written by someone with little to no experience of other grinders to compare it to, so it seems anyway. I think it is probably the best thing in the price point without going for a hand grinder or second hand. Going for a second hand Mignon or something though won't be suitable for switching between multiple brew methods.

The thing that stood out to me as odd is the fact he used it for years without cleaning it yet apparently never experienced any issues with the taste of the coffee that made him question things...He just kept saying how great it was. I can taste the difference when I give my grinder a proper clean after a month or two, I can't imagine going a year or two without experiencing issues. The differences between beans become less distinct and there's an odd metallic tainted/rancid/dirty taste when things get really bad.

Quote

I’m just as impressed with the grinder now as I was when I first started using it, and I’ve used it with various different manual brewers, and also with my Gaggia Classic, and now with my La Pavoni Europiccola. If this broke tomorrow (I hope it doesn’t…) I would happily go out and replace it with another of the same model. There is nothing lacking, there’s no downside to this machine, it’s just brilliant!

...............

When I did my Barista training recently, I was made aware just how important it is to keep your grinder clean, and to regularly take the burs off and properly clean everything. Up until this point I don’t think I’d actually ever cleaned the grinder properly other than giving it a quick brush.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SiW said:

I am in the same boat. I am looking of buying either SGP or Eureka Mignon SPECIALITA' to carry out my needs.

My requirements 

  • Mainly for expresso - switching between decaf and light roasted beans - 2-4 shots per day
  • On occasion, filter and french press - once a week or less
  • I am aware of Eureka PERFETTO however not keen on their 3/4 turn covering expresso to french press. Would rather to opt for SPECIALITA', which has 2 full turns for precision

Cons with SGP, I have read a few comments stating that there is a lack of tuning e.g. going from setting 11.6 to 11.7 (from burr adjustment) resulting too much change when pulling a shot.

Cons with Mignon, lack of ability to switch back to your old setting (for espresso for example after having a filter coffee).

Would like to point out that I don't mind having a somewhat decent shot after changing the setting from French press for example (when i say a somehow decent shot - i mean my coffee machine takes approx. 25-35 seconds to complete the shot). Then it would take about 3-4 further tunings to perfect it.  

Welcome to the forum. There's no x in espresso :exit:

RE Cons with Mignon and adjustment mechanism. I'm not sure the labels on the dial mean much. They might have changed things from their old Mk2 but it's infinitely adjustable from full open to fully closed and the labels on the dial just indicated which way to turn for coarser and finer. If it's true they have a limited turning then the Specialita will have a finer resolution and be easier to dial in. The issues with changing grind size relate to the need to really single dose it if switching regularly which means it won't deliver the best grind quality it can. Going fine to coarse can be done without the motor running, but going coarse to fine should and can only be done with the motor running....there's no reason you can't get back to the same espresso setting through if you precisely turn the adjustment mechanism e.g. two full turns coarser and then two full turns finer + a 3g purge or so should see you back at your same setting, it's just harder because adjustment on the Mignons is very fine.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

Welcome to the forum. There's no x in espresso :exit:

RE Cons with Mignon and adjustment mechanism. I'm not sure the labels on the dial mean much. They might have changed things from their old Mk2 but it's infinitely adjustable from full open to fully closed and the labels on the dial just indicated which way to turn for coarser and finer. If it's true they have a limited turning then the Specialita will have a finer resolution and be easier to dial in. The issues with changing grind size relate to the need to really single dose it if switching regularly which means it won't deliver the best grind quality it can. Going fine to coarse can be done without the motor running, but going coarse to fine should and can only be done with the motor running....there's no reason you can't get back to the same espresso setting through if you precisely turn the adjustment mechanism e.g. two full turns coarser and then two full turns finer + a 3g purge or so should see you back at your same setting, it's just harder because adjustment on the Mignons is very fine.

 

 

Thanks for pointing that out :)🙈

https://www.eureka.co.it/public/files/catalogo/20/Mignon - User Manual.pdf on page 20, the knob seems to have numbers indicated along with a line pointer. So can imagine this enables the estimation of your previous set-up, and this will only get better after 2-3 fine tunings.

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/compact-grinder-1-closerlook.pdf   confirms (page 7) that Mignon SPECIALITA' has approx. 2 full turns     

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personal choice I know but I have 2 SGPs. One for my fully ferritic coffee during the day and the other for my decaf in the evening. Both work well and produce repeatable results. Easy to adjust both for time and fineness. My only complaint is that the coffee can spill over the basket so I have designed and 3D printed 2 partial funnels. 1 goes inside the basket and the other sits on the outside. (In case you are wondering I only use 1 at a time!). Both do the job they were designed for and allow automatic switch on of the grinders whilst eliminating coffee spillage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ended up ordering a Sage Smart Pro Grinder from John Lewis two days ago despite looking to get an Eureka Mignon.

Arrived today and tested with Decaf beans (Waitrose No.1 Peru Decaffeinated). Tuned the grinder to setting 1.1 (including the burr setting), but the shot (18g to 36g) came through less than 10 seconds unfortunately.  Sending the grinder back tomorrow so will have to cough up for Eureka Mignon.

Edited by SiW
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SiW said:

Ended up ordering a Sage Smart Pro Grinder from John Lewis two days ago despite looking to get an Eureka Mignon.

Arrived today and tested with Decaf beans (Waitrose No.1 Peru Decaffeinated). Tuned the grinder to setting 1.1 (including the burr setting), but the shot (18g to 36g) came through less than 10 seconds unfortunately.  Sending the grinder back tomorrow so will have to cough up for Eureka Mignon.

It's not the greatest grinder in the world, but it's not the worst and it does grind coffee for many, many setups. There is clearly something very wrong, but are you sure it is the grinder, rather than settings or the beans themselves being completely dried out?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, earthflattener said:

It's not the greatest grinder in the world, but it's not the worst and it does grind coffee for many, many setups. There is clearly something very wrong, but are you sure it is the grinder, rather than settings or the beans themselves being completely dried out?

I bought the beans about two weeks ago but again it's a supermarket brand's beans so it's probably has been dried out for SPG's liking.

However I have thought this out and my conclusions are that I do not want to limit myself to certain decaf beans to suit SGP in future. Additionally, SGP will wear out eventually so it only gonna get worsened as the time rolls. So i think Mignon is a better investment even though it costs nearly two times for new one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the SGP - it's my first grinder and whilst I gather it's not the best grinder out there - it's been great for my needs. I am yet to go below grind setting 9 in 6 months of owning the grinder and I haven't adjusted the burrs (making cappuccinos) 

To be fair I'm not sure using a supermarket coffee bean is really a true reflection on the performance of a grinder.

 

Maybe get some fresh beans from a roaster where you know the roast date and give it a go before you send it back. When you bought the beans is irrelevant - the roast date is what you need to know here. Not sure you're giving it a fair chance to be honest

Edited by dutchy101
More information
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SiW said:

I bought the beans about two weeks ago but again it's a supermarket brand's beans so it's probably has been dried out for SPG's liking.

However I have thought this out and my conclusions are that I do not want to limit myself to certain decaf beans to suit SGP in future. Additionally, SGP will wear out eventually so it only gonna get worsened as the time rolls. So i think Mignon is a better investment even though it costs nearly two times for new one.

You can have the best grinder in the world, but rubbish in gives rubbish out. I'm not trying to put you off getting a mignon, but if the beans are the issue (and that is the most likely candidate), you will get the same result at twice the cost or five times the cost. I'd agree with dutchy101. It might be worth getting a pack of freshly roast coffee and trying with those. In the end supermarket beans won't cut it, whatever the grinder, so you will have to get used to buying fresh anyhow. If you don't actually mind spending double the price, then go with the mignon, though you won't get double the quality. Or consider a second hand grinder from here or a good quality hand grinder for about the same price. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
You can have the best grinder in the world, but rubbish in gives rubbish out. I'm not trying to put you off getting a mignon, but if the beans are the issue (and that is the most likely candidate), you will get the same result at twice the cost or five times the cost. I'd agree with dutchy101. It might be worth getting a pack of freshly roast coffee and trying with those. In the end supermarket beans won't cut it, whatever the grinder, so you will have to get used to buying fresh anyhow. If you don't actually mind spending double the price, then go with the mignon, though you won't get double the quality. Or consider a second hand grinder from here or a good quality hand grinder for about the same price. 
You both have convinced me to hold off the mignon option. Will try out my local decaf beans tomorrow [emoji106].

Giving the hand grinder option a miss as too much faff.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2021 at 17:17, SiW said:

Thanks for pointing that out :)🙈

https://www.eureka.co.it/public/files/catalogo/20/Mignon - User Manual.pdf on page 20, the knob seems to have numbers indicated along with a line pointer. So can imagine this enables the estimation of your previous set-up, and this will only get better after 2-3 fine tunings.

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/compact-grinder-1-closerlook.pdf   confirms (page 7) that Mignon SPECIALITA' has approx. 2 full turns     

 

The Eureka Specialita isn’t 2 full turns, not sure how many it is but it’s lots !
That’s not a Specialita in that test.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was having this dilemma SGP vs Mignon and I then looked at the Mignon crono which I ordered and so pleased I did does the job wonderful lovely little grinder. There's a notch on the front to reference and numbers on the nob just got to remember how many times around to get to where you want. And less money than the SGP!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.


    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!


    Donate / Sponsor

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     

×
×
  • Create New...