IGNORED

Manual grinder for Aeropress

I am getting ready to travel again as vaccination day is nearing. But am now addicted to good quality coffee!

I have just bought an Aeropress and wonder which manual grinder would suit best?

Carrying the niche around is not practical really...

Depends on your budget...

I'd recommend getting one with steel burrs (ceramic burr set like the porlex etc is slow and less consistent grind, but workable) so the Aergrind or Aerspeed, or 1zpresso Q series are worth checking out.

• Thanks 1

I use Aergrind with mine as it fits inside the aeropress plunger tube, great for travel.

My aeropress tote bag fell apart; I now use this camping washbag from Mountain Whorehouse to carry the AP, grinder, micro scales, filters and single portion bean pots. 20210121_131206.jpg

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, hotmetal said:

I use Aergrind with mine as it fits inside the aeropress plunger tube, great for travel.

36 minutes ago, L&R said:

Aerspeed MBK

What is the difference between those 2? They seem to be design and built by the same guys...

not sure if there is a big difference other than the burrs.  their website seems to imply that the Speed offers a larger range of grind size but with less precision for "dialing in".  I have the Aergrind and can't fault it

Burrs are different, Aergrind is espresso oriented, I think its burrs are made by Italmill, aerspeed is equipped with SS brew burrs probably from China, but they grind well and fast for aeropress and other brew methods. I used to have them both :)

BR

Edited by L&R
2 hours ago, hotmetal said:

Yeah I think the main difference is the Aergrind is more expensive and can grind for espresso, overkill if only for AP.

It's only overkill if you do short steeps & lower extractions. If you like to do longer steeps (or have the option to) a finer grind would be nice to have.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 21/01/2021 at 16:47, Northern_Monkey said:

I sold my Aergrind and bought an Aerspeed, really happy with it as it is so much faster.

Chomps through 20g for Aeropress or Rao V60 in less than a minute for most beans.

Any chance you have got a note of any average grind sizes you use on the aerspeed?

I mainly brew aeropress, kalita wave 155 and chemex but can’t seem to find much info about the aerspeed grinds online!

On 22/02/2021 at 10:34, Turner19901 said:

Any chance you have got a note of any average grind sizes you use on the aerspeed?

I mainly brew aeropress, kalita wave 155 and chemex but can’t seem to find much info about the aerspeed grinds online!

You might want to review the link below, if you haven’t yet! 

https://coffeechronicler.com/grind-size-chart/

“Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise”  - Sigmund Freud

14 minutes ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

You might want to review the link below, if you haven’t yet! 

https://coffeechronicler.com/grind-size-chart/

These suggestions have no recipe data & vary wildly in relative settings. I'm sure they all work, but it seems you'd need to know things like ratio & steep time?

E.g. Aergrind 2019 is coarser than pour over.

But, Commandante  are similar for the differing methods.

The others have Aeropress as finer grind than pour over (largely typical at 55-70g/L).

Fellow Ode settings don't make any sense taking into account James Hoffmann's review.

For the Aergrind, you'll have the option to use fine grinds for both short & long steeps, various ratios.

Aerspeed probably best for short steeps & higher doses (say 85g/L, coarser 30s steep, sink crust & plunge?).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

1st grind impression - test and experiment on AeroPress using cheaper beans, after receiving JX Pro today. I was expecting AP to get chocked. It did. 

1.3, 28 grams and 55 secs to grind. 

4F8D38A9-BC7D-4F0D-896F-28BA116DF695.jpeg

Got chocked as in it was way too fine?

That would be very interesting for me as I’m looking for something espresso capable and I normally do standard 14g doubles, so 20g in less than a minute for a very fine grind would be a great benchmark!

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

1st grind impression - test and experiment on AeroPress using cheaper beans, after receiving JX Pro today. I was expecting AP to get chocked. It did. 

1.3, 28 grams and 55 secs to grind. 

4F8D38A9-BC7D-4F0D-896F-28BA116DF695.jpeg

Interesting, the underside of the bottom burr looks slightly different than mine.

I'm on 1.7 for espresso right now, so I'd suggest you're far too fine, especially for a 28g dose?

9 minutes ago, ales said:

Got chocked as in it was way too fine?

That would be very interesting for me as I’m looking for something espresso capable and I normally do standard 14g doubles, so 20g in less than a minute for a very fine grind would be a great benchmark!

It takes me under 30s to do 18g for espresso on my JX pro, and I'm far from a big guy 😂

On 22/02/2021 at 10:34, Turner19901 said:

I haven’t had the chance to use it that much with no travelling recently! 😢

I think it was around 1.6-7 for the fine grind Rao single pour v60. Maybe try at 2.0 ish and work your way down passed on timings/taste?