Jump to content
IGNORED

Budget machine shoot out “Hoffman style”


Recommended Posts

Ok I have been around long enough to remember @Glenn organising a grind off at Rave.

 

now may be of some benefit or at least entertainment but how about putting 4 or so “budget” espresso machines  to the test? Side by side same day same beans same water same barista ?
 

Sage, delonghi, gaggia and perhaps a new comer to the market maybe do a sub £200 and a sub £500? 
 

im sure there are a few bloggers and Youtubers here who would benefit from some clicks and traffic 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HDAV said:

Ok I have been around long enough to remember @Glenn organising a grind off at Rave.

 

now may be of some benefit or at least entertainment but how about putting 4 or so “budget” espresso machines  to the test? Side by side same day same beans same water same barista ?
 

Sage, delonghi, gaggia and perhaps a new comer to the market maybe do a sub £200 and a sub £500? 
 

im sure there are a few bloggers and Youtubers here who would benefit from some clicks and traffic 

Sounds like a monumental waste of time & unless you have the machines to be used, an "exposure" gig. If you do have the machines, why not do it yourself. Use over a longer period would be useful, rather than a rushed attempt to dial them all in one the same day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MWJB said:

 Use over a longer period would be useful, rather than a rushed attempt to dial them all in one the same day.

Never suggested you unbox and attempt to get the best out of them in a day :classic_rolleyes:   practise shots would be required....
 

Normally difficult to do without manufacturer/distributor support as no one wants to supply the loosing machine  hence  the Hoffman style buy it review it give it away 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoffman has Patreon's though...so the expense isn't his to pick-up so to speak....a clever/shrewd way of doing it i suppose.

I both like and hate YouTube...it's the grabby "influencers" that get on my wick...all take and no give....put yer hand in yer pocket ffs and then we'll really see if your biased or not :classic_rolleyes:

So YT and Hoffman i like/dislike in equal measure.....the thing with Hoffman is he has a "unique" way of worming his way out of a "direct" answer per-se.....i suppose it's his style....the "not sticking your neck on the line" style. Sometimes i just wish he'd say "xyz is shite and don't buy it".....he may have already done this; i've not watched all his reviews yet.

  • Like 3

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a great idea - would be good to organise, and happy to film if required - i guess the really nice, fair way to do it (post restrictions) would be to bring together 4 or 5 existing owners and their machines, as you say, into one location, and get them each to pull shots and compare and contrast between them - it would be a great learning opportunity for them, and would give some great insight into the ownership and running of these machines... throw a decent barista/barista trainer into the mix to give feedback/tips etc, and you've got the making of a great day, and a great video!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:Sometimes i just wish he'd say "xyz is shite and don't buy it".....he may have already done this; i've not watched all his reviews yet.

I like his reviews and insight. If you want an example of a rather emphatically negative video I think you’ll enjoy this one!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Little_tipple said:

Sounds like a great idea - would be good to organise, and happy to film if required - i guess the really nice, fair way to do it (post restrictions) would be to bring together 4 or 5 existing owners and their machines, as you say, into one location, and get them each to pull shots and compare and contrast between them - it would be a great learning opportunity for them, and would give some great insight into the ownership and running of these machines... throw a decent barista/barista trainer into the mix to give feedback/tips etc, and you've got the making of a great day, and a great video!

I shall await the video with interest and get my popcorn ready ;)

eating popcorn GIF

 

  • Like 1

Nothing here...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That man would not get a decent drink out of any of the thermothingy machines working like that. Also this

 

GastroBak.jpg.d98d55c7c1ee12b47a8557099c12f3cb.jpg

 

Looks familiar. What is it - a Gastrobak. Who makes those?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ajohn said:

That man would not get a decent drink out of any of the thermothingy machines working like that. Also this

 

 

Why not?

Link to post
Share on other sites

As he says it's essentially a high pressure machine. There are grinder limitations. Dose gets important and people are likely to find themselves having to work at higher pressures. It's also very probably a Sage - which ones internals pass. It appears to have a 3 way action. Internals on Sage tend to be the same when they can be.

My comments are based on owning and using a BE and reading across what people were doing with DTP's. Lots of coffee. milk drinks were as I was using less than I do on the DB for similar results from that in an americano. Also peoples problems with BE's when they tried to achieve results exactly as Sage suggest. DTP owners don't know because there is no gauge but it still has the same OPV. The BE's gauge does not show bar. I compared it with one that does.

The volumetrics can be made to work reasonably well but it's tricky. The OPV flow can mess it up. A bit is ok, lots and it's way out. I never managed to get a decent drink out of the BE where Sage suggest the gauge should go which is ~8bar. Then all the comments from people - disregard it completely even though it can be used to help with the volumetrics.

:) The machine might be a bargain if some one is thinking of buying a similar machine. His review wont clear that up. Similar machines with a built in grinder are likely to have the same features in use. I wont call them problems as they can produce decent drinks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ajohn said:

As he says it's essentially a high pressure machine. There are grinder limitations. Dose gets important and people are likely to find themselves having to work at higher pressures. It's also very probably a Sage - which ones internals pass. It appears to have a 3 way action. Internals on Sage tend to be the same when they can be.

My comments are based on owning and using a BE and reading across what people were doing with DTP's. Lots of coffee. milk drinks were as I was using less than I do on the DB for similar results from that in an americano. Also peoples problems with BE's when they tried to achieve results exactly as Sage suggest. DTP owners don't know because there is no gauge but it still has the same OPV. The BE's gauge does not show bar. I compared it with one that does.

The volumetrics can be made to work reasonably well but it's tricky. The OPV flow can mess it up. A bit is ok, lots and it's way out. I never managed to get a decent drink out of the BE where Sage suggest the gauge should go which is ~8bar. Then all the comments from people - disregard it completely even though it can be used to help with the volumetrics.

:) The machine might be a bargain if some one is thinking of buying a similar machine. His review wont clear that up. Similar machines with a built in grinder are likely to have the same features in use. I wont call them problems as they can produce decent drinks.

Pressure doesn't have much to do with the "thermothingy", nor does volumetrics. I have a DTP, it extracts to a normal degree at higher strengths than you seem to prefer to drink coffee at (entirely your preference, but no evidence that thermothingies cannot work).

I'm not making any claims that the Aldi machine works as described in the manual, nor to a standard I'd recommend to anyone else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have missed the point if you don't see how pressure upsets the volumetrics and as to thermothingies Sage's all share the same features.

Extraction. Some dismiss bean to cups on the basis of the high brewing pressures they tend to use. I don't but would agree that taste can differ to what the usual machines do but that needn't be bad.

The Sage grinder wont deal well with the monsooned I use now but was perfectly happy with the previous source I was getting it from. Niche is happy with it at settings between -1 and 2, 13.5 in 38 out in 30sec using a timed shot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ajohn said:

You have missed the point if you don't see how pressure upsets the volumetrics and as to thermothingies Sage's all share the same features.

Extraction. Some dismiss bean to cups on the basis of the high brewing pressures they tend to use. I don't but would agree that taste can differ to what the usual machines do but that needn't be bad.

The Sage grinder wont deal well with the monsooned I use now but was perfectly happy with the previous source I was getting it from. Niche is happy with it at settings between -1 and 2, 13.5 in 38 out in 30sec using a timed shot.

Gibberish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2021 at 17:39, MWJB said:

I have a DTP, it extracts to a normal degree at higher strengths than you seem to prefer to drink coffee at (entirely your preference

Why is it I managed to get lighter drinks out of several beans then. One defeat - jampit but not at all sure that one has any nuances. Some others clearly don't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ajohn said:

Why is it I managed to get lighter drinks out of several beans then. One defeat - jampit but not at all sure that one has any nuances. Some others clearly don't.

We will never know, unless you can provide details.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.


    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!


    Donate / Sponsor

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     

×
×
  • Create New...