IGNORED

Black? Sugar?

44 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Try a dark roast Indian Monsooned MALABAR.

I drink this black no sugar.

It is full bodied and well rounded with little or no acidity.

Any roaster recommendations please I would be really greatful. I'm starting to doubt I will find something I like that I can drink black without drowning it in hot water! 

6 hours ago, -Mac said:

If it helps to know, I make my own sugar mix too:

1 part dark brown
1 part white granulated
3 parts demerera

I put them in a container and shake until well blended.

Does this enhance any part of the brown / dem taste ?  Why the white inclusion ?    Muscavado ?

6 hours ago, -Mac said:

Pickled cucumber is not the same thing as gherkin.

And I get called pedantic............

• Like 2

Black coffee all the way for me. If it's a supermarket coffee then I generally have to add a dash of milk as they're usually a bit harsh.

And I never have sugar in my coffee. Aside from when I pick up one of those iced coffee things that Costa do in the summer, but they're more like desserts than a coffee!

Black or white; i can drink either....it's mainly mood dependant. Not touched sugar since i was 13 (40 years ago), horrible nasty stuff; i can even taste (and moan about it) if someone stirrs a brew that has sugar/sweetner in it before stirring mine; usually gets sinked...start again :classic_rolleyes:

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

Black for me , no sugar or milk.

I was about to type “mainly espresso “ but the machine I’m using at present you guys would laugh at me and tell me it’s not espresso 😮

Also use a cafetière or a Cona syphon for longer coffee, again, black , no sugar.

I do enjoy the very occasional flat white / cortado , had one last year and it was nice.

I have milk and sugar. Ive cut back my sugar massively in coffee over the years, as my coffee got better i found i needed less sugar.
im down to half a teaspoon in flat whites/lattes and 1 in filter. I hope to cut that back even further. 

18 hours ago, Gilly said:

Try a dark roast Indian Monsooned MALABAR.

I drink this black no sugar.

It is full bodied and well rounded with little or no acidity.

we ordered that and it arrived today - it's lovely!

On 20/01/2021 at 19:51, Fiyo said:

Any roaster recommendations please I would be really greatful. I'm starting to doubt I will find something I like that I can drink black without drowning it in hot water! 

What have you been ordering so far and who from?

Edited by Rob1
On 20/01/2021 at 13:27, MWJB said:

Black, no milk/dairy.

I'm lactose intolerant and type 2 diabetic.

One of the reasons coffee is one of my preferred hot drinks is that it is usually sweet/balanced/lacking bitterness enough for me (& other friends/relatives) to drink without needing added sugar/sweetener. That said I had a sip of my girlfriend's Nespresso with one sweetener in it (had run out of the sweeter coffee caps) and it completely dominated the taste, we both agreed it was way too sweet.

The milk side of things is, to me, more a question of preference...I can't have it but I don't have any strong feelings abut those who enjoy it, as long as it's not affecting their health.

Type 2 aswell but dont let that stop me putting sugar in 

9 minutes ago, Akula said:

Type 2 aswell but dont let that stop me putting sugar in 

It doesn't stop me putting sugar in, I just don't need to. If I did need to, I would stop drinking coffee tomorrow.

I also don't like pills & being told what to do (but then again, who does?), so for now I manage my condition through diet and am not being asked to take medication.

I still have the odd sweet thing as a treat, whereas coffee is a daily staple.

31 minutes ago, MWJB said:

It doesn't stop me putting sugar in, I just don't need to. If I did need to, I would stop drinking coffee tomorrow.

I also don't like pills & being told what to do (but then again, who does?), so for now I manage my condition through diet and am not being asked to take medication.

I still have the odd sweet thing as a treat, whereas coffee is a daily staple.

i cut carbs out completely for a week when diagnosed , lost a stone but my near eyesight went , i wasnt able to read my phone or that . think i had maybe went from too high to too low blood sugar.

Im on the metformin , but i really need to get out of the mindset , as i think if i take them i can still eat what i want , but i know its wrong. Nightmare

• Like 1
On 22/01/2021 at 02:33, Rob1 said:

What have you been ordering so far and who from?

Try a very small but independent roastery in Eccleshall Staffordshire.

courtyardcoffeeroasters.co.uk

Buy my dark roasted MALABAR from there, knows his stuff.

quote me Jill !!

EBA8B44F-D49C-4F07-BD1C-42BD4CE22D49.jpeg

2DD15EBA-E580-4287-BDE2-638D2BBA4200.jpeg

• Thanks 1
On 20/01/2021 at 13:55, -Mac said:
  14 minutes ago, -Mac said:

Sugar in all coffee for me.

I agree lol. But do you typically have milk + sugar OR just black + sugar? Typically?

Typically, both espresso and latte.

Ah interesting! Ok so this is helpful. If you take sugar in black coffee would you ever consider sweetener - or any other kinds of sweetness instead of white sugar? 

3 hours ago, Gilly said:

Try a very small but independent roastery in Eccleshall Staffordshire.

courtyardcoffeeroasters.co.uk

Buy my dark roasted MALABAR from there, knows his stuff.

quote me Jill !!

EBA8B44F-D49C-4F07-BD1C-42BD4CE22D49.jpeg

2DD15EBA-E580-4287-BDE2-638D2BBA4200.jpeg

Thank you so much!

On 24/01/2021 at 17:43, Eureka said:

Ah interesting! Ok so this is helpful. If you take sugar in black coffee would you ever consider sweetener - or any other kinds of sweetness instead of white sugar? 

No. I hate artificial sweeteners. I wouldn't try any alternative.

I mainly drink coffee black with no sugar (occasionally with milk).

I used to have sugar with coffee but since I’ve learned to make it properly it’s no longer bitter so I don’t take it.

No sugar for me.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

I usually drink flat whites, cortados or espresso, all no sugar. I never have sugar just for sweetness but occasionally I'll have some flavoured syrup if I'm in the mood. Had some homemade demerera syrup for Irish coffees that was quite nice for a change.

On 20/01/2021 at 13:40, dfk41 said:

All coffee starts out black!

Doesn’t fit start off green? 

I’ll drink it black, black with sugar, black with cream, espresso straight, with steamed. milk, with foam, with steamed milk and syrup 

depends where I am, what mood I’m in, where the coffee comes from/who makes it 

why limit yourself......... in Brazil black and sweet, in America white with half and half, in France black or latte, in U.K. cappuccino or espresso out of the house (when that was a thing)