IGNORED

Black? Sugar?

Hi everyone. I’m doing a little research and wondering how many of you who take their coffee BLACK - also use sugar or sweetener?

i assume that if you’re taking it black you’re typically a connoisseur and wouldn’t add sugar ... maybe I’m wrong! Thoughts!?  

I'll drink straight espresso if I get a good extraction, I love the thick intense flavours and mouth feel. If it comes out a little too tart I'll just add steamed milk to make a flat white, which sweetens it quite enough without sugar. Alternatively I'll brew an aeropress and always drink that black no sugar.

• Thanks 1

Black, no milk/dairy.

I'm lactose intolerant and type 2 diabetic.

One of the reasons coffee is one of my preferred hot drinks is that it is usually sweet/balanced/lacking bitterness enough for me (& other friends/relatives) to drink without needing added sugar/sweetener. That said I had a sip of my girlfriend's Nespresso with one sweetener in it (had run out of the sweeter coffee caps) and it completely dominated the taste, we both agreed it was way too sweet.

The milk side of things is, to me, more a question of preference...I can't have it but I don't have any strong feelings abut those who enjoy it, as long as it's not affecting their health.

• Thanks 1
  14 minutes ago, -Mac said:

Sugar in all coffee for me.

I agree lol. But do you typically have milk + sugar OR just black + sugar? Typically?

Typically, both espresso and latte.

If it helps to know, I make my own sugar mix too:

1 part dark brown
1 part white granulated
3 parts demerera

I put them in a container and shake until well blended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Eureka said:

Not sure how that answers my question ....

Cannot see what you want to know, or why you want to know. Sure, enough people answer and you end up with enough data to make a chart saying 66% of the country takes black coffee with cinnamon sprinkles, carnation milk etc etc......in truth, as your tastes and skills develop, then you ought to be able to texture the milk to a level where it is sweet enough for you not to need sugar. Howls of derision I hear people say. Some people buy Big Macs and take the gherkin out.......and some people do not! 

• Like 2

The advantage of being a Silver member....

Follow me on Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/dfkidd

5 minutes ago, -Mac said:

Though there's no gherkin in a Big Mac ;)

Last time I had one (10 years ago!) if you lifted the top roll off the first thing you saw was a slice of gherkin. It may have been something else but whatever it was, I used to discard it.....LOL Point I am making, is it is horses for courses

• Like 1

The advantage of being a Silver member....

Follow me on Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/dfkidd

21 minutes ago, -Mac said:

Sing it with me ;)

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions and a sesame seed bun ;)

"...pickles...", they're even visible in the video.

1 minute ago, -Mac said:

Pickled cucumber is not the same thing as gherkin.

It is the same thing, it just has a different name in the US.

Y'know like potato and potaato

Re @Eureka initial question:

Ristretto just black.

Espresso, black, with a pinch of Demerara.

Cortado, obvs milk, but no sugar or sweetener

Latte & Cappuccino, obviously milk (S/S), but no sugar or sweetener.

Americano, I very rarely drink now, if I do, just black.

Re, pickled gherkins/cornichons/cucumbers, I bought pickled cucumbers by mistake not so long back and they were soggy and tasteless. Needless to say, I like the other two immensely, no doubt in my mind they are different beasts. Sadly my Maccy D knowledge leaves much to be (un)desired, I visited one once in the 90’s, it was enough.... I can’t remember what I ordered but I definitely recall it had something green and vinegary in it. Not sure if that helps or makes it worse. 

I mostly drink black coffee if it is freshly made but I will add a tiny dash of milk if instant.

Also occasionally drink milky coffee like flat white, cortado, or cappuccino. Not latte though - too much milk for me (or it looks like too much. I’ve never had a latte).

I don’t like sugar in coffee.

Not a connoisseur  just prefer black unsweetened coffee. I don't like warmed milk in any form and weaned off sugar in coffee in my twentys Now in my fifties and dislike any sugary drinks but... New to espresso and struggling to find beans that are good to drink black but not bitter. Probably partly down to my novice extraction Skills when trying to reach a smooth long black cup,though I am reading everything, here, Hoffman, Barista Hustle, just trying to improve. 

Edited by Fiyo
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Fiyo said:

Not a connoisseur  just prefer black unsweetened coffee. I don't like warmed milk in any form and weaned off sugar in coffee in my twentys Now in my fifties and dislike any sugary drinks but... New to espresso and struggling to find beans that are good to drink black but not bitter. Probably partly down to my novice extraction Skills when trying to reach a smooth long black cup,though I am reading everything, here, Hoffma, Barista Hustle trying to improve. 

Try a dark roast Indian Monsooned MALABAR.

I drink this black no sugar.

It is full bodied and well rounded with little or no acidity.

• Thanks 1