Jump to content
IGNORED

Gear to improve puck prep / make it easy?


Recommended Posts

- Sage Oracle (non-touch)
- Mignon Specialita (ignore Breville built-in grinder, might used for decaf)
- VST 18g basket 

Current flow:
- grind into PF
- put on funnel (too tall for grinder), and WDT with kids kitchen whisk, bottom cut off, and ends bent like Londinium one
- few stirs in each direction of WDT
- tap on may to settle grounds, remove funnel, grounds mostly flat
- a few extra side taps to get mostly flat if needed
- tamping with Motta pro tamp (58.5mm?)

I’m finding that with a naked PF, it’s pretty good (only a couple of times, no video yet), but a little spatter. 

QUESTION
Next gear I’m thinking of (noting it needs to be “wife friendly”, and I’m U.K. based)?

- short, magnetic funnel (like Decent one)
- self-levelling tamp (Levtamp or Bravo), or something like Asso Jack that effectively does tamp too?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t received yet so can’t comment, but I’m getting a hand made funnel designed for specialita (cut away for the portafilter holder) that is magnetic. So once it arrives I’ll let you know. At least with that you should be able to grind directly into portafilter 

EdekoDesigns on Etsy. Might have to message as think they mainly built to order

Edited by RobDGio
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
I haven’t received yet so can’t comment, but I’m getting a hand made funnel designed for specialita (cut away for the portafilter holder) that is magnetic. So once it arrives I’ll let you know. At least with that you should be able to grind directly into portafilter 
EdekoDesigns on Etsy. Might have to message as think they mainly built to order

How much was it? Sounds interesting.
Link to post
Share on other sites

With shipping and taxes it was £30. I know there are cheaper but for a hand crafted wooden funnel (that looks lovely from the pics) that supports a small business seemed fair to me

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RobDGio said:

With shipping and taxes it was £30. I know there are cheaper but for a hand crafted wooden funnel (that looks lovely from the pics) that supports a small business seemed fair to me

Very nice! And £30 seems quite cheap compared to the Decent one... £82 plus potentially import duties!

This one looks ideal, please do let us know how you get on 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Se99jmk said:

Very nice! And £30 seems quite cheap compared to the Decent one... £82 plus potentially import duties!

This one looks ideal, please do let us know how you get on 🙂 

Will do 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought one of this guys WDT tools from etsy as well, received quickly and it's well made.

You can also remove the plastic piece from the specialita which sticks out under the chute.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Se99jmk said:

- grind into PF
- put on funnel (too tall for grinder), and WDT with kids kitchen whisk, bottom cut off, and ends bent like Londinium one
- few stirs in each direction of WDT
- tap on may to settle grounds, remove funnel, grounds mostly flat
- a few extra side taps to get mostly flat if needed
- tamping with Motta pro tamp (58.5mm?)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2021 at 13:01, Sean1ucc said:

I bought one of this guys WDT tools from etsy as well, received quickly and it's well made.

You can also remove the plastic piece from the specialita which sticks out under the chute.

Didn’t realise even you could remove this! That may mean my current funnel works... 

it’s somewhat tall I think, and I found that trying to push the button with it (sat on top of PF), just knocked off the funnel... may have been because it was too low though! Gonna try this 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Se99jmk said:

Didn’t realise even you could remove this! That may mean my current funnel works... 

it’s somewhat tall I think, and I found that trying to push the button with it (sat on top of PF), just knocked off the funnel... may have been because it was too low though! Gonna try this 🙂 

You will need to take off the front panel after you have unscrewed the one screw that holds the plastic bit for it to actually come away

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look at the EDO Twister - cuts out a lot of faffing with WDT tools etc. It's not cheap (I bought mine from Italy) came in at around £120 delivered, but it's a funnel and distribution device all in one, what more it's completely consistent and repeatable.

Cheers Phil

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Beeroclock said:

Have a look at the EDO Twister - cuts out a lot of faffing with WDT tools etc. It's not cheap (I bought mine from Italy) came in at around £120 delivered, but it's a funnel and distribution device all in one, what more it's completely consistent and repeatable.

Cheers Phil

Interesting! Does it effectively tamp too like the Asso Jack can?

Link to post
Share on other sites

no it doesn't tamp - but what it does do - which is rare as rocking horse sh... is prepare the base of the puck, most other tools just groom the top 1/3 or 1/2. You will still need to tamp.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest puck prep improvement for me was sticking a few 0.4mm needles in a wine cork and use that as a whisk. Paid less than £10 for the needles, and I have spares to make another similar tool or two should I need it in the future. From a purely functional perspective, no need to overpay for similar items that cost four, five times that. If you want to have a nice looking tool, though...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, olivier said:

Biggest puck prep improvement for me was sticking a few 0.4mm needles in a wine cork and use that as a whisk. Paid less than £10 for the needles, and I have spares to make another similar tool or two should I need it in the future. From a purely functional perspective, no need to overpay for similar items that cost four, five times that. If you want to have a nice looking tool, though...

True, doesn’t need to be expensive! I’m using a tiny whisk (kids kitchen), ends cut off and bent round, works great. 
 

I’m finding the tricky part is the last step - ideally thinking distribute and tamp all in one (Asso Jack or cheaper option) would work both for consistency, and super easy for wife...

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Se99jmk @Rickv So this is what the product looks like in the flesh. Very pleased. Magnets good enough to keep in place while activating the grinder button and high enough (even at the cut away but) to allow for distribution while still in place to avoid spillage 

perfect for what I wanted/expected 

image.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
@Se99jmk @Rickv So this is what the product looks like in the flesh. Very pleased. Magnets good enough to keep in place while activating the grinder button and high enough (even at the cut away but) to allow for distribution while still in place to avoid spillage 
perfect for what I wanted/expected 
image.thumb.jpg.337451709fe0b4c443f00b5c6f824791.jpg

Looks great
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobDGio said:

@Se99jmk @Rickv So this is what the product looks like in the flesh. Very pleased. Magnets good enough to keep in place while activating the grinder button and high enough (even at the cut away but) to allow for distribution while still in place to avoid spillage 

perfect for what I wanted/expected 

image.jpg

Looks really good!! Thanks for letting us know - I’ll reach out to the Etsy seller about doing another one 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.


    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!


    Donate / Sponsor

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     

×
×
  • Create New...