IGNORED

Gear to improve puck prep / make it easy?

- Sage Oracle (non-touch)
- Mignon Specialita (ignore Breville built-in grinder, might used for decaf)
- VST 18g basket 

Current flow:
- grind into PF
- put on funnel (too tall for grinder), and WDT with kids kitchen whisk, bottom cut off, and ends bent like Londinium one
- few stirs in each direction of WDT
- tap on may to settle grounds, remove funnel, grounds mostly flat
- a few extra side taps to get mostly flat if needed
- tamping with Motta pro tamp (58.5mm?)

I’m finding that with a naked PF, it’s pretty good (only a couple of times, no video yet), but a little spatter. 

QUESTION
Next gear I’m thinking of (noting it needs to be “wife friendly”, and I’m U.K. based)?

- short, magnetic funnel (like Decent one)
- self-levelling tamp (Levtamp or Bravo), or something like Asso Jack that effectively does tamp too?

I haven’t received yet so can’t comment, but I’m getting a hand made funnel designed for specialita (cut away for the portafilter holder) that is magnetic. So once it arrives I’ll let you know. At least with that you should be able to grind directly into portafilter 

EdekoDesigns on Etsy. Might have to message as think they mainly built to order

Edited by RobDGio
  • Like 1
I haven’t received yet so can’t comment, but I’m getting a hand made funnel designed for specialita (cut away for the portafilter holder) that is magnetic. So once it arrives I’ll let you know. At least with that you should be able to grind directly into portafilter 
EdekoDesigns on Etsy. Might have to message as think they mainly built to order

How much was it? Sounds interesting.

With shipping and taxes it was £30. I know there are cheaper but for a hand crafted wooden funnel (that looks lovely from the pics) that supports a small business seemed fair to me

17 minutes ago, RobDGio said:

With shipping and taxes it was £30. I know there are cheaper but for a hand crafted wooden funnel (that looks lovely from the pics) that supports a small business seemed fair to me

Very nice! And £30 seems quite cheap compared to the Decent one... £82 plus potentially import duties!

This one looks ideal, please do let us know how you get on 🙂 

7 minutes ago, Se99jmk said:

Very nice! And £30 seems quite cheap compared to the Decent one... £82 plus potentially import duties!

This one looks ideal, please do let us know how you get on 🙂 

Will do 👍

I bought one of this guys WDT tools from etsy as well, received quickly and it's well made.

You can also remove the plastic piece from the specialita which sticks out under the chute.

17 hours ago, Se99jmk said:

- grind into PF
- put on funnel (too tall for grinder), and WDT with kids kitchen whisk, bottom cut off, and ends bent like Londinium one
- few stirs in each direction of WDT
- tap on may to settle grounds, remove funnel, grounds mostly flat
- a few extra side taps to get mostly flat if needed
- tamping with Motta pro tamp (58.5mm?)

On 20/01/2021 at 13:01, Sean1ucc said:

I bought one of this guys WDT tools from etsy as well, received quickly and it's well made.

You can also remove the plastic piece from the specialita which sticks out under the chute.

Didn’t realise even you could remove this! That may mean my current funnel works... 

it’s somewhat tall I think, and I found that trying to push the button with it (sat on top of PF), just knocked off the funnel... may have been because it was too low though! Gonna try this 🙂 

41 minutes ago, Se99jmk said:

Didn’t realise even you could remove this! That may mean my current funnel works... 

it’s somewhat tall I think, and I found that trying to push the button with it (sat on top of PF), just knocked off the funnel... may have been because it was too low though! Gonna try this 🙂 

You will need to take off the front panel after you have unscrewed the one screw that holds the plastic bit for it to actually come away

Have a look at the EDO Twister - cuts out a lot of faffing with WDT tools etc. It's not cheap (I bought mine from Italy) came in at around £120 delivered, but it's a funnel and distribution device all in one, what more it's completely consistent and repeatable.

Cheers Phil

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Beeroclock said:

Have a look at the EDO Twister - cuts out a lot of faffing with WDT tools etc. It's not cheap (I bought mine from Italy) came in at around £120 delivered, but it's a funnel and distribution device all in one, what more it's completely consistent and repeatable.

Cheers Phil

Interesting! Does it effectively tamp too like the Asso Jack can?

no it doesn't tamp - but what it does do - which is rare as rocking horse sh... is prepare the base of the puck, most other tools just groom the top 1/3 or 1/2. You will still need to tamp.

• Like 1

Biggest puck prep improvement for me was sticking a few 0.4mm needles in a wine cork and use that as a whisk. Paid less than £10 for the needles, and I have spares to make another similar tool or two should I need it in the future. From a purely functional perspective, no need to overpay for similar items that cost four, five times that. If you want to have a nice looking tool, though...

1 minute ago, olivier said:

Biggest puck prep improvement for me was sticking a few 0.4mm needles in a wine cork and use that as a whisk. Paid less than £10 for the needles, and I have spares to make another similar tool or two should I need it in the future. From a purely functional perspective, no need to overpay for similar items that cost four, five times that. If you want to have a nice looking tool, though...

True, doesn’t need to be expensive! I’m using a tiny whisk (kids kitchen), ends cut off and bent round, works great. 

I’m finding the tricky part is the last step - ideally thinking distribute and tamp all in one (Asso Jack or cheaper option) would work both for consistency, and super easy for wife...

@Se99jmk @Rickv So this is what the product looks like in the flesh. Very pleased. Magnets good enough to keep in place while activating the grinder button and high enough (even at the cut away but) to allow for distribution while still in place to avoid spillage 

perfect for what I wanted/expected 

image.jpg

• Like 1
@Se99jmk @Rickv So this is what the product looks like in the flesh. Very pleased. Magnets good enough to keep in place while activating the grinder button and high enough (even at the cut away but) to allow for distribution while still in place to avoid spillage 
image.thumb.jpg.337451709fe0b4c443f00b5c6f824791.jpg

Looks great
1 hour ago, RobDGio said:

image.jpg

Looks really good!! Thanks for letting us know - I’ll reach out to the Etsy seller about doing another one 🙂