I’m running an ECM Synchronika which is currently paired with a Eureka Mignon MkII. I’ve had the grinder a long time now and have been very happy with it.

However, I’ve had enough of the clumping. The grounds it produces seem to be very good and I get great looking bottomless shots it just takes a lot of faff to get them into the basket in a decent state.

So, it’s time to upgrade...

My wife drinks exclusively black Americanos and I drink mostly short milk drinks but would like to make my espresso more palatable in its pure form. We do use blends most of the time but also have a fair bit of SO coffees. Tend to enjoy lighter roasts. There was a Craft House coffee from DRC a while back that was superb. 

I am considering a switch to single dosing which does not work in the slightest in the Mignon. I need something relatively compact (an EK isn’t going to cut it) and would like something quiet if possible, my Mignon is LOUD compared to a Specialita which is very quiet. 

From what I have read, based on my almost exclusively espresso brew method and preference for lighter roasts, I have mostly been looking towards flat burr models. Is this right?

I like the Lagom but that (as well as many of the similar small scale brands) is too pricey for me. Even the Honne is €1400 now.

Niche is a no go for me.
A) I can’t get one hold of one. B) Lack of support should it be needed. C) It looks like a Tassimo. Sorry, it just does.

Ceado don’t seem to be easily available. Except for coffeeitalia or whoever it is that are best avoided. E37S or SD also a bit pricey.

I like Eureka a lot. Their adjustment system I particularly like, especially from a cleaning perspective. The Helios is too big so it basically leaves me with an Atom 65 or 75. They have a single doser coming but apparently this is not due for quite some time. The jury still seems to be out on single dosing an Atom, results seem hugely variable although I have noticed, perhaps by coincidence, that those having best success single dosing this model as well as having the cleanest burr chambers are all running the Ti Mythos burr set. Blow-Up hopper again seems a bit variable but perhaps more strongly swung in the negative. 

If I went for a second hand machine I could have something like a Mazzer Major with a doserless kit from WYS (they charge $60 shipping!!). Any other second hand options I should consider?

What to do?! 🤯

B4057B1C-176A-4FB2-A09A-D20EA1405C66.jpeg

• Like 1

Something else going on with the grinder, my specialita does not produce lumpy grounds anything like that.

Does it have the anti clump fork in the chute still? Are you hopper feeding it or single dosing?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Sean1ucc said:

Something else going on with the grinder, my specialita does not produce lumpy grounds anything like that.

Does it have the anti clump fork in the chute still? Are you hopper feeding it or single dosing?

Is it the Mk2? The newer models have the anti-clumping device but the older ones were renowned for being quite clumpy!

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Izzo Vivi, Alex and Alex Duetto in stock now!

It is indeed a MKII, not one of the newer generation. I’m actually borrowing a Specialita for a few days at the moment. It’s a lot better and certainly quieter.

Im hopper feeding both. Single dosing has never worked well for me with my MkII for several reasons.

I have a Specialita which I use by single dosing, blower/puffer on top etc and it doesn’t clump at all. I do have a Niche on order as I like the workflow of it, but the Specialita works just fine for me...

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

The newer models have the anti-clumping device but the older ones were renowned for being quite clumpy!

I removed the anti clump fork after I cleaned it the first time as there seemed be grinds stuck around it. I would say removing it actually improved the output and resolved the gathering grinds 

4 hours ago, B-Roadie said:

...Niche is a no go for me.

A) I can’t get one hold of one. B) Lack of support should it be needed. C) It looks like a Tassimo. Sorry, it just does

:classic_laugh: ...sorry my inner child couldn't help it with a reference like that.

4 hours ago, B-Roadie said:

...If I went for a second hand machine I could have something like a Mazzer Major with a doserless kit from WYS (they charge $60 shipping!!)...

Offset that £44 shipping (which isn't bad considering, speed, distance etc. etc.) and bear in mind that the Major is a Commercial Grade 83mm Flat-burr-machine and should outlive you (spares are easily available should you need them)...i don't think many other grinders would (IMO)....throw a Major at a wall and it's likely to go through the wall; throw a Niche (other grinders are available) at a wall and it'll probably disintegrate :exit:...the Daniel Wong kit when used with the Rocket blower and the dosing cup is IMO an excellent combo (less/equal to 0.1g * retention)....YMMV of course.

EDIT:- * may be a different figure as stated/corrected below....my apologies for any slight inaccuracies given.

Edited by Rumpelstiltskin

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

23 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

(less/equal to 0.1g retention)....YMMV of course.

Everyone's mileage will be greater than +/-0.1g. This is obvious when you realise that beans weigh around ~1.8g.

My scales must be off...although that does now give me an excuse to buy some that are more accurate and have a better resolution....this forum is hazardous to one's bank-balance :classic_wink:

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

34 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

My scales must be off...although that does now give me an excuse to buy some that are more accurate and have a better resolution....this forum is hazardous to one's bank-balance :classic_wink:

It's not that they're necessarily off, or that you need better ones, you certainly don't need expensive ones (over £50).

It's more that to establish consistency to +/-0.1g takes scales that read to the next decimal place.

0.1g scales are OK for dosing (though 0.01g are faster to use for dosing) & weighing beverages, where 0.4g is ~2% of an 18g dose, they're just not high enough resolution to describe tolerances to +/-0.1g. +/- 0.5g is enough to to be considered "zero retention".

it may not sound like much of a claim to say your SD grinder repeats doses to +/-0.1g but it's akin to saying you run a mile in 3 minutes, or your car does 200mph...not quite believable, even if you know that you are measuring what everyone else is (not standardised).

i'll still buy some either way...the ones i got (2 sets) were only a temporary stop-gap until i got used to my machine/grinder/other....i will get whatever you say are the very best in your opinion/past-experience....the funds at the time had to be divided between things for SWMBO and my hobbies :classic_wink:...now i have some more spending money; so i will go a spending (unless you say there is no need).

FWIW with the POS scales (i do have at the moment) measure 16.5g in (i appreciate this maybe 16.4 or 16.6 in reality) but i do get 16.5g out +/- the 0.1 (which as you stated may not be the actual truth due to your facts given above)....i'll not argue the toss; just stating that's what the display shows (which as you stated may not quite be the truth).

13 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

i'll still buy some either way...the ones i got (2 sets) were only a temporary stop-gap until i got used to my machine/grinder/other....i will get whatever you say are the very best in your opinion/past-experience....the funds at the time had to be divided between things for SWMBO and my hobbies :classic_wink:...now i have some more spending money; so i will go a spending (unless you say there is no need).

FWIW with the POS scales (i do have at the moment) measure 16.5g in (i appreciate this maybe 16.4 or 16.6 in reality) but i do get 16.5g out +/- the 0.1 (which as you stated may not be the actual truth due to your facts given above)....i'll not argue the toss; just stating that's what the display shows (which as you stated may not quite be the truth).

For dosing I have some 500g 0.01g DIPSE scales I got from Amazon, but they're not showing up at the moment. These allow me to dose into a spouted PF (check your PF weight & allow for any funnel & dose, also check platform size). I also use these for weighing shots out & output of 1 cup filter brews.

My Triton T3 scales read to 0.1g and go up/down in 0.1g increments, OK for weighing shots out & dosing, but won't take a PF. They do some XL pocket scales but I have not tried these.

For weighing filter brew water in, any 1g, or better, scales will do. I have some 3kg, 0.5g mains powered Weigh Station scales for this.

I don't use scales with built in timers.

Repeatability is more the issue than accuracy, if they read the same (with the same weight) each time it's more important than if they read the exact calibrated weight.

Weighing dose consistency of grinders is laborious & the novelty wears off quickly. :-)

Edited by MWJB
  • Thanks 1

@MWJB cheers...i've just updated my "wish-list'....(missus won't be happy)....the t'internet a scouring i shall go 😋