IGNORED

Now I need to choose a grinder!!

I've purchased a nice refurb'd Gaggia Classic with pressure gauge and PID and now I'm looking at which grinder to buy.

I would love a Niche Zero but they aren't available at the moment and will probably be on 3 months wait when they are back on sale so at the moment I am torn between the mignon facile and the Baratz Sette 270.

Preferably I'd like to single dose like in the Niche (I think that's the right term) but I believe that the corning causes problems so you're better off having a whole hill of beans (quote from some film) in Mignon/Baratz (please correct me if I'm wrong). Do you single dose in either of these?

The Mignon sounds like the nicest grinder of the two for home use (quieter, smaller and less mess) but the main concern I have at the moment is I've read problems with the Mignon not grinding fine enough without the burrs grinding against each other! Is this true or just something that happens to all machines when they are being "run in"? Do you have a Mignon Manuale/Facile/Crono or similar? Love to hear how it is working for you?

Main problem with Baratz seems to be that they make a lot of mess due to static and firing out the grind in all directions!

Do all grinders need running in and if so is it better to buy used?

At this time, if I could buy a Niche for £499 I'd probably go for that but since I can't, I'm looking for the best alternative. Thanks for any advice 🙂

Mignon. The 270 are great in theory but they have had lots of reliability problems and IMO use far too many things plastic parts. I won’t sell them due to these concerns.

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Izzo Vivi, Alex and Alex Duetto in stock now!

Agree the mignon is the better buy. I had one before the Niche and it was great (albeit a mk1, not any of the new models!).

I've never heard of a mignon struggling to grind fine enough for espresso... I could easily choke my old gaggia classic with mine. 

The sette in theory shold be a good grinder, but I'd be massively put off by the reliability issues. If you're lucky and get a great one it should be fine, but I personally wouldn't risk it... 

Neither are specifically designed for single dosing though. They might be okay with it, but can't say I've tried! 

• Like 1

the migons will dose perfectly fine, but ideally they are hopper fed, if you want single dose, then the niche really is the only one made for the job around £500

• Like 1

Way too early for this sh...

2 minutes ago, Cuprajake said:

the migons will dose perfectly fine, but ideally they are hopper fed, if you want single dose, then the niche really is the only one made for the job around £500

Thanks - that is what I thought.

16 minutes ago, LozCoffee said:

Hey Jaffro, I'm from St. Albans too (although in Devon now)!! Which model Mignon are you using?

Amazing! Small place, but lovely, just wish it wasn't so expensive...! Hope you're doing well in Devon. 

So before the current extensive mignon line up (specialita, manuale, silenzio, etc.) there was a mignon Mk2... Before that, there was a Mk1. That's the one I had. So I was a fair few versions back, hence not wanting to comment too much on the new mignon performance! 

I upgraded to the Niche a few years back though. Single dosing was a game changer given how often I change beans and switch between espresso and filter. 

Yes, loving Devon thank you 😄 I would snap up a Niche if they were available new - obvious choice from what I've read but I think its going to have to be Mignon until I'm able to buy one (assuming I'm not interested in paying £1000 to someone on ebay.. which I'm not!) .

I have made a decision - thank you to all that replied!! I am going to go for the Eureka Mignon Specialita since it seems like a lot more for a little extra, plus it does have a single dosing mod available to buy which puts it closer to the Niche Zero if required.

If anyone knows of any good deals on the Specialita or has one for sale, I'd love to hear from you 🙂

Thanks all!

doubt you'll find any deals on them as there getting out of stock due to numerous lockdowns, but give it a month and ill prob sell mine then buy another......

Way too early for this sh...

A used Mazzer Mini might be an option and sometimes they crop up at reduced prices. Some one on here who makes bits and pieces could probably help conversion to single dosing. I added a small weight over the beans on mine to limit bouncing. It can handle my usual beans, some wont  and retention etc is very low used this way but a little more trouble to achieve than Niche. The weight also keeps bits in the grind chamber - an improvement over a lid.

There is still a problem though. It needs to be one with a funnel, usually electronic and the timer is wasted once converted as not needed. A search on here for octopus funnels shows a solution - assuming threads from before the forum update can still be found. Also some one may have one that they will sell. Not me. I'm keeping mine.

For what it’s worth, I have a Mignon MkII, it’s about 6 years old or so.

Great little grinder although it does clump pretty badly. Pulls good shots after faffing though.

I am also currently borrowing a Mignon Specialita. It’s in a different league, huge improvement in my opinion. Personally for making espresso I wouldn’t consider any of the other Mignon models, the saving you make vs the loss of useability isn’t worth it.

2 hours ago, B-Roadie said:

Great little grinder although it does clump pretty badly. Pulls good shots after faffing though.

I am also currently borrowing a Mignon Specialita. It’s in a different league, huge improvement in my opinion. Personally for making espresso I wouldn’t consider any of the other Mignon models, the saving you make vs the loss of useability isn’t worth it.

Good to know - thanks 😄

15 hours ago, B-Roadie said:

Im in same boat got the MK2 and it clumps but I made a thread about it and people say spending extra 350 on Specialita wont be huge difference as burrs are only 5mm bigger. Might save some extra cash and look for smallish 64mm grinder.

The Specialita is a significant improvement on the clumping, usability and volume (loudness).

However, does it create better coffee than a MkII after faffing with the boulders? I doubt it.

I’ve got both side by side at the moment. I can’t tell the difference.

As a result, I’m looking for a more premium grinder than the Specialita as I’m looking for improvements in the cup.

If I didn’t have the MKII already and was buying a Mignon for espresso from the current range, I would buy the Specialita. Especially if I was using it as an on demand grinder (they don’t suit single dosing anyway). The time adjustment on the other models is too ambiguous, the LCD touch screen is excellent. 

4 hours ago, LozCoffee said:

I have received the Specialita... looks like a really solid piece of kit!! Waiting for my Gaggia to arrive now... exciting times!!

Good luck with it all👍

Did you get your Gaggia, off a guy in Eccleshall... I've been following him, he puts up about 2 to 3 a month,and he always gets a good price..I blew all my budget on Niche, hopefully recieve end of Feb.  So, I'll start searching for a Gaggia, mid Feb...😅

obsessed with coffee, Waiting for Grinder !

Cheers Al Grande!!
Actually no.. I was looking at his 2003 with the pressure gauge but in the end I decided I'd like a PID too so went for a 2003 with the Boost Box - I've seen he's posted on here a few times about it. He's stripping it down and installing the mod at the moment so it will be a few days before it's ready.
Niche looks really nice although I've printed a mod to allow single dosing on the Specialita so that may be good for that too. We'll see... eventually 🙂

• Like 1