IGNORED

Shots pulling too quickly even with pressurised basket

Morning all,

having recently recieved my Gaggia Classic pro we have been experimenting a lot... so naturally have run out of coffee. 
no bother, not ideal but can can still work with shop brought and use the pressurised basket. This is where I think it gets a bit odd. 

now I cannot stop getting out 34-36ish grams in about 7 seconds. I’ve upped the coffee to 19g ( more than that and I can get the portafilter in, the coffee is too high) 

does anyone have any ideas? I thought - in my simple head - the whole point of the pressurised basket was to slow down the water. 

I’ve added in the pic of what I’ve been using until a coffee shop opens again! 

adam 

D3BA8F2D-E78C-4D2C-AE42-BC85820898F7.jpeg

C8987244-557E-47EF-BE08-76D573888A77.jpeg

The pressurised basket will only do so much!
It's designed to be able to use fine to medium course pre-ground coffee. However that one with the pics of a french press and moka is likely to be too course for it?
Can you not order some decent beans of the internet? 

It should be ok, but maybe try a few different brands of preground until you get a good grinder.

Check the manual, see if there's a thing you need to put in under the pressurised filter, and check it's there.

Edited by allikat
  • Like 1

thanks for the replies - I am using the 'little black thing' you put under the filter so that should all be working fine - It is very odd, got fresh grinds today from coffee shop and same results, its almost like there is too much pressure? 

Adam 

If you’ve got a Gaggia pro, I’d suspect that you do have too much pressure, 12-15bar normally, when in reality you want 9bar when making coffee. There are reasons they make them like this, but its poor that they removed the means of the user adjusting it themselves on the Pro. Have a look at @MrShades online shop and buy a spring mod kit for a tenner and take 5mins to fit it using a screwdriver and a 10mm spanner. You’ll be surprised at the difference £10 makes to the quality of the coffee you can make. HTH 

• Like 1

Not sure how does it work with pressurized baskets, but you are probably getting channeling (water is making a mess because there are no room for it), 19gr sounds too much, try to use less coffee(16-17gr), and tamp properly. Do you have a proper tamper? Some photos just before the shot would help.

Hi,

thanks for the replies. 

so, I have been back to Waitrose this morning after the coffee from the coffee shop was also coming through far too quickly ( 8 seconds in the pressurised basket) for 17/18/19g 

I have discovered that illy preground in the pressurised basket gives something like normal results (17.5g 29 seconds to 35g) 

I think I’m still a bit worried  I must have thrown away about £15 worth of coffee in the past few days! Lol. The freshly ground in the shop was no different to the shop brought  

in terms of tamper, I am currently using the plastic on that came with the machine , a new one is on the list! Any recommendations? 

I’ll take some pics of my tamping later on when I make my afternoon coffee  

For future reference is anyone else has this issue I have attached a pic of the coffee that worked for me, many didn’t!! 

Thanks everyone  

844AE6CB-C6CF-4FC4-95EB-E6B00CD159FF.jpeg

How does it taste? I remember with pressurized basket I needed less than normal 18-20seconds for a good taste.

About tamper, if you are going to buy a grinder etc, you may start to think about quality improvement, and consider to get a better baskets like IMS or VST, for them you need a tamper with a bit larger diameter 58.4/58.5 instead of standard 58. If not considering a grinder, you can get any metal tamper 58mm. 

to be fair, it tasted quite good, much better than the 7 second ones we had yesterday 😄

a grinder is on the list for sure, if anything i think I'm reading too much, keep changing my mind....

as for upgrading the basket, are the items currently for sale any good for me?

thanks 

Adam 

Can't say anything about IMS baskets, but they are definitely a good upgrade in compare with the standard one. But you need to keep in mind, that precision baskets require a proper puck preparation, WDTing etc. 

Don't bother with an IMS or similar basket like a VST without a good espresso grinder.  My 16 year old Compak is definitely getting to its limits grinding into my VST basket.  And another fact of life is that you will make many many terrible coffees as you learn. I'm very much into the darker roasts as an americano, which hides an awful lot of coffee sins. But even I've tossed a lot of shots down the sink when they were just too terrible to consume.