IGNORED

Texturing milk - please tell me where I’m going wrong

17 minutes ago, Emily said:

Thank you so much but I realised I had a 1950s dairy thermometer that my MIL gave me ages ago. She gave it me for making yogurt but yogurt is best when judge the temperature by eye/experience so I didn’t use it. Hopefully it works. It only has Fahrenheit. 

So these are the temperatures I am looking for?

9750E402-5031-418A-99CC-9F77901DB5AB.jpeg

That thermometer may not be appropriate considering its size - it will be awkward to use and may interfere with the milk steaming. Also not sure on the lag between actual temp and reading. Might be worth buying one, they are relatively inexpensive, or taking up @itguy on his kind offer. 

From what I remember on the barista express (same steam wand as DTP), I used to stretch until 100F and stop incorporating at 140-150F.

Edited by HVL87
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The irony is I actually prefer black coffee. But I am bl***y well going to learn how to do this if it kills me.   

@Tinkstar Amazing! 😂 I love abstract art and I think you have totally nailed that concept. 👌 On my third milk-torturing effort today, I made THE most perfect jug of silky melted ice cream like mi

This sums up my experience 😂 A Forrest Gump quote keeps popping into my mind. “Espresso is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get”

Posted Images

I just want to let you know you are not alone.

My 3 coffees today consisted of hot milk

Froth so bad it trippled in size and I could not stop it!!! It just took over so I turned off the steamer 😭

Then what i thought was a decent attempt, my daughter said its a sad flat, lying down heart 🤣

Hahaha Tinkstar, it really isn’t easy is it? What is so frustrating is I have been making fab textured milk with a cafetière for a years but I am determined to crack this otherwise I am only using half of my machine so £150 worth of it is going to waste. Will probably end up spending that much on practice milk 😂 (actually I don’t waste the practice milk, I use it up in everyone else’s drinks and make lots of custard).

It’s a skill for life and one that you don’t forget. Plus, the technique is the same when you get into bigger power machines with more steam too. 

What will happen though is you’ll feel very annoyed when you buy a “barista” coffee on the high street and it has awful milk. Like that torture screaming milk sound where it is begging for mercy.. 😩

• Like 1
1 hour ago, itguy said:

What will happen though is you’ll feel very annoyed when you buy a “barista” coffee on the high street and it has awful milk. Like that torture screaming milk sound where it is begging for mercy.. 😩

I have experienced this too often now and tasted horrific coffee.

I'm making bitter and sour coffees now with too much and too little foam (too much i tell my self I did it traditional style to keep my bitter coffee warm 🤣)but I can drink them, bought some non drinkable from local small coffee shops, crazy! 

2 hours ago, Emily said:

Hahaha Tinkstar, it really isn’t easy is it? What is so frustrating is I have been making fab textured milk with a cafetière for a years but I am determined to crack this otherwise I am only using half of my machine so £150 worth of it is going to waste. Will probably end up spending that much on practice milk 😂 (actually I don’t waste the practice milk, I use it up in everyone else’s drinks and make lots of custard).

What find up setting, is i look at the jug think, today is the day, today that milk is calling for latte art...

I pour, I pour, I wait for the foam to form at the top, and I have a milky coffee with no signs of foaming.

Or PLODGE HAVE FOAM ON TOP OF YOUR COFFEEEEEEE

Zero middle ground most coffees ha

Tinkstar that is really good! I would be well chuffed if I created that.

3 hours ago, itguy said:

Like that torture screaming milk sound where it is begging for mercy..

I’m afraid I may be a milk torturer 😂

@itguy Thermometer is great! Did 2 practices today. First was rubbish because I only aerated for a few seconds.  Second lot was the best so far - lots of foamy stuff and HOT 👍 Not perfect yet, so gotta keep trying. Hopefully cappuccino by Monday is going to be my goal.

• Thanks 2

Great stuff - once you've used it for a while you'll be able to gauge how hot the milk is just by holding the jug (or not.. as it gets to 65c!) so you can ditch the thermometer then. Useful training aid.

Next time you are in costa (I know...) just watch theirs as it goes right off the scale past 180+f !!

• Like 2

@itguy that was such a nice gesture with the thermometer for @Emily.....you Sir are a gentleman....it's the little things like this that restores my faith in humanity 😋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Rincewind wasn't used to people being pleased to see him. It was unnatural, and boded no good. These people were not only cheering, they were throwing flowers and hats. The hats were made out of stone, but the thought was there.”

12 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

@itguy that was such a nice gesture with the thermometer for @Emily.....you Sir are a gentleman....it's the little things like this that restores my faith in humanity 😋

Wheres my yorkshire kind folk 🤣

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

that was such a nice gesture with the thermometer for @Emily.....you Sir are a gentleman....it's the little things like this that restores my faith in humanity 😋

Agreed! ☺️

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

It’s really not a bother. Where @Emily lives is really only a couple of villages away from me and no home barista needs three milk thermometers.. just happen to have collected them over the years.

My current favourite one is this: a CDN fast acting digital one, which is really quick and can switch between C and F easily.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0021AEAG2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_.0XcGbH35421T

• Like 1
6 hours ago, itguy said:

That's not at all bad! I'd say you're milk is nearly there and practice with the pour will get you where you want to be now... 

No clue how to recreate this milk texture as I believe i am following the same process 🤣 come on @Emily show some pictures, rooting for you! 

• Like 1

@Tinkstar How are you getting on with this? My success rate is 50% at the moment. First time, I just get a jug of hot milk, so I try again and then I get it right. Like you,  I don’t feel like I am doing anything different each time. It must be a really fine line between getting it totally right/totally wrong. I must have watched about 10 YouTube videos on this so I fully understand the process but sometimes it works, sometimes it don’t 😂 

16 minutes ago, Emily said:

@Tinkstar How are you getting on with this? My success rate is 50% at the moment. First time, I just get a jug of hot milk, so I try again and then I get it right. Like you,  I don’t feel like I am doing anything different each time. It must be a really fine line between getting it totally right/totally wrong. I must have watched about 10 YouTube videos on this so I fully understand the process but sometimes it works, sometimes it don’t 😂 

Totally the same. 

I made perfect silk looking texture milk, did fudge all for latte art tho 🤣

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Tinkstar said:

made perfect silk looking texture milk

I’d settle for this ^^^^^^^ I think you’re doing better than me. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Emily said:

I’d settle for this ^^^^^^^ I think you’re doing better than me. 

I think my mugs are too big and using too much of the milk, noticed most latte artist have left over milk in the jug 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I have my first grinder arriving next week so things will really kick off then when I will need to coordinate grinding, pulling shot and steaming milk 😂 Kitchen will be a bombsite.  I am expecting to be able to produce a decent cappuccino around March time 👍

21 minutes ago, Emily said:

I am expecting to be able to produce a decent cappuccino around March time 👍

March of which year Emily😂

The advantage of being a Silver member....

Follow me on Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/dfkidd

26 minutes ago, Tinkstar said:

I think my mugs are too big and using too much of the milk, noticed most latte artist have left over milk in the jug 🤷‍♂️

I don’t think that really matters too much. Best to use an appropriate sized pitcher for your cups if you can. My cups are also fairly large (300ml), I probably need smaller ones. I use a 500ml milk pitcher (measures to the brim) and fill it halfway just below the spout to start with 250ml - that should expand to 300ml (ish) with the right amount texture. 

Some pour the textured milk from one pitcher to another to further incorporate - just need to make sure the one you’re pouring into is warmed up if you don’t want to lose temp.

It is surprising (or not) how important having properly textured milk is for latte art. I’m no expert but once you get the milk right it makes it a lot easier that’s for sure. It’s just difficult to know when you have decent milk in the first place 😄 When you swirl it in the pitcher you can gauge the consistency based on how it catches on the side. I need a new hobby..