IGNORED

ECM machine (Synchronika, Technika, Mechanika) 

Hi All

After lots of deliberation, I have decided on an ECM, ideally a Synchronika. Before I spend a load of money, just checking whether anybody is considering upgrading. Although a Synchronika is my machine of choice, I would also gladly consider spending less money and purchasing a Technika V or Mechanika IV if you were considering upgrading. 

Please let me know if you have anything of interest.

Many thanks

15 minutes ago, duncan-m-w said:

Hi All

After lots of deliberation, I have decided on an ECM, ideally a Synchronika. Before I spend a load of money, just checking whether anybody is considering upgrading. Although a Synchronika is my machine of choice, I would also gladly consider spending less money and purchasing a Technika V or Mechanika IV if you were considering upgrading. 

Please let me know if you have anything of interest.

Many thanks

Out of interest... It seems you are going for ECM regardless of the architecture. Synchronika being a dual boiler, the other two being Heat Exchangers - very different machines, very different functionality and how they operate and very different thermal stability.

I’m curious to know, for instance, why not a Pro-700 or a Bianca, or Bezzera Dual Boiler machines should one it come for sale? - is it purely looks?

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

I have a ECM Giotto on ebay at the moment.

Due to be pulled soon as it is not the best time to sell something as collection only from locked down Wales.

1 hour ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Out of interest... It seems you are going for ECM regardless of the architecture. Synchronika being a dual boiler, the other two being Heat Exchangers - very different machines, very different functionality and how they operate and very different thermal stability.

I’m curious to know, for instance, why not a Pro-700 or a Bianca, or Bezzera Dual Boiler machines should one it come for sale? - is it purely looks?

Yes, very aware they are different, and the order is my order of preference really. All else being equal, I would like the Synchronika, but I certainly did not come into this thinking I would spend £2300 on a machine. However, if buying new and paying that premium, then I want to limit the chances of Upgradeitis. If there is a used one out there that is well maintained and I can save a bit of money - then great! 

My research has concluded that for what we want, dual Boiler offers the best user experience and other benefits as you describe. But HX would also do a very good job, that has its own benefits (drawing fresh water, less maintenance, price). If there was a used one kicking about, then I would be less worried about upgradeitis, as I would likely lose less money in the change (if we change) in the future.

Why the ECMs? Well, based on never having used any coffee machine (!), we quite like the idea of the wands, as well as their looks and the fact that they are less likely to wear. We like the look of the ECM machines and their build quality and ease of maintenance appear to be well regarded. All SS boilers have less likelihood of scaling as we understand it, although are looking at water filtration systems at the moment in anticipation of the machine. The other thing is all of these machines have a quiet rotary pump and can be plumbed in, which are high on our list of wants.

Why not:

Profitec 700 - looks, steam/water knobs and everything I have read and people I have spoken to say the difference in price is easily justified for these bits and and an improvement in finish

Bianca - looks primarily tbh, and a perception that the finish is not quite as good. It is actually the sensible option, as the removable water tank makes the footprint smaller and obviously comes with the paddle as well as being cheaper, but for some reason, we are just not drawn to it.

Bezzera DB - Wife not in love with the LCD (I am not sure either), copper boilers (which I understand have their own advantages, but I seem to have landed on a preference for SS). Otherwise a good option. 

If any of these came up for sale used, we would not ignore it. But given we will likely land on an ECM, we were just trying narrow down the universe.

So note that I have not seen any of these machines in the flesh, and have never used one. So some of my decisions may way off, but that is the best I have come up with after weeks of research!

Edited by duncan-m-w
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, Norvin said:

I have a ECM Giotto on ebay at the moment.

Due to be pulled soon as it is not the best time to sell something as collection only from locked down Wales.

Thanks - I have seen it on Ebay. I don't think it can be plumbed in though can it?

And yes, Wales is not really local to everywhere!

It is a tricky time to buy as well, so hoping there just happens to be someone local. Otherwise a Zoom tour of the machine and ordering a careful courier (at an inflated cost) is probably the way forward 🙂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @Raffael

I sure have! 1.5 weeks of coffee heaven! Went for the Synchronika and having a great time. As a newbie, I am 100% satisfied that if you can afford a dual boiler (and will be having milk drinks), it makes life so much easier (and therefore also makes life better!). As a newbie, there are so many variables in making a good espresso, that just knowing that the brew temperature is where you set it (and you do not have to do cooling flushes etc) is great, and there is no having to think about prioritisation or order or whatever. Want coffee, pull the lever; want steam, flick the lever. And switching between milk and coffee whenever you want without having to think or second guess again just makes the learning so much easier.

And I went in thinking we would have similar amounts of coffee per day to you, but we are now having to think about limiting ourselves per day as it is getting a bit out of hand! Just had an espresso affogato which may become my go to dessert! So there are a couple more shots to add to your tally 🙂 

The ECM is lovely to look at, but if it could have been plumbed in, I would have gone for the ACS Minima. Despite what everyone says, I don't think the £1000 premium over the Minima is made up in build quality (saying that having not seem a Minima in real life). the ECM build quality seems very good, but I am not blown away. I don't think you are getting value for your extra £1000 more than a Minima. 

Quick shout out to Doppio Coffee. I was a bit nervous using them as there were not many reviews, but they have been great. The drip tray was out by a couple of 1/2mm (if you put it upside down on a work counter) so it wobbled. Within half an hour of notifying them, they were sending out a new one. New one is perfect. 

All of that said, the Synchronika is awesome and we are very pleased with our choice. Looks great, and loving working on improving our shots, dialling in our tastes, and starting a latte art journey! The Synchronika just makes that all easy. Love it. 

Good luck with your hunt.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, duncan-m-w said:

...the Synchronika is awesome and we are very pleased with our choice. Looks great,...Love it...

Very pleased for you :classic_smile: ...they are "eye-candy", even more so when a "flow-control-kit" is added to one....that 3 gauge look just puts a mahoooosive grin on my mush 😍

• Like 1
  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

Donate / Sponsor

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png

Coffee Forums Logo