I've seen reviews of crazy expensive grinders like the Niche Zero and one of the things that comes up is the low amount of coffee which is retained after the grind, resulting in a fresh grind each use.

Is there any reason one shouldn't simply put in the required weight in beans and run the grinder until it's empty each time?

It depends upon the grinder you have, 

All grinders retain some grinds, some better than others

@DavecUK took the niche to bits and got around 2g out of it from memory. 

Ive had eureka mignons in bits and the 50mm held about 2g also 

the zenith65 held about 5g  

The problem is, when you have to purge the old grinds it really wastes beans,  

Way too early for this sh...

It's really about exchange....what portion of the retention comes out with the next grind...e.g. exchanges. With the Niche, that's around 0.2g, so it doesn't need purging.

I'm currently testing a 64mm flat burr single dosing grinder with around 0.2g or less of exchange and minimal retained grinds....so far results are looking good....price point could be very attractive as well.

• Like 1

Nothing here...

@DavecUK its a shame we cant measure actual exchange with retention? 

Be good to know if once the grinder is full in the bits it doesnt use, does the path stay clear, or do we get some old grinds mixed in with fresh 

Fwiw the mignons see similar sort of 0.1 to 0.2 retention, quite consistently. 

Think the biggest factor is the bean delivery mechanism 🤣

21 minutes ago, Cuprajake said:

@DavecUK its a shame we cant measure actual exchange with retention? 

Be good to know if once the grinder is full in the bits it doesnt use, does the path stay clear, or do we get some old grinds mixed in with fresh 

Fwiw the mignons see similar sort of 0.1 to 0.2 retention, quite consistently. 

Think the biggest factor is the bean delivery mechanism 🤣

0.1g to 0.2g seems optimistic if you're talking dose consistency. You need 0.01g scales to get close to determining this.

I do have a scale like that, but im not wasting beans or taking my grinder to work🤣🤣🤣

It was tested how most do in a redneck way of dose 18g in get 17.8out

Just now, Cuprajake said:

I do have a scale like that, but im not wasting beans or taking my grinder to work🤣🤣🤣

It was tested how most do in a redneck way of dose 18g in get 17.8out

Most 0.1g resolution scales don't actually react to 0.1g changes in weight.

One set I just tried took 3.5 beans to move from 0.0g, & jumped straight to 0.4g. My 0.01 scales read 0.49g with the same beans...pretty much 0.1g difference between the scales, when there was no difference.

One set I just tried took 3.5 beans to move from 0.0g, & jumped straight to 0.4g. My 0.01 scales read 0.49g with the same beans...pretty much 0.1g difference between the scales, when there was no difference.
What scales are you using tho??
Just now, Sam_d said:
4 minutes ago, MWJB said:

What scales are you using tho??

Which scales should I be using?

11 hours ago, DavecUK said:

I'm currently testing a 64mm flat burr single dosing grinder with around 0.2g or less of exchange and minimal retained grinds....so far results are looking good....price point could be very attractive as well.

I’m going to pretend I didn’t read this...

• Like 1

my mignon (Manuale) lost about 5-8g initially after cleaning. 
But now that seems static, I tend to lose around 0.2g.
I did make a few mods to it, like making an exit ramp so the grinds don't get pulled back underneath. 
No idea how much of this static or exchange.

Maybe try painting some beans and sending them through. 🤣

It would give an idea as to why your scales are give crazy readings like that. Tho only set of scales I had that acted the same was a stupid cheap set of 0.1g resolution hence why I asked what scales your using. If you have spend some money on some scales that are not cheap then you may have a faulty set or something

while your worried@MWJB is the king of pour overs, so id highly doubt hes using some crappy scales, hes forgotten more than i know about coffee 

Hope Pray GIF by The Great Pottery Throw Down

Edited by Cuprajake
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TomHughes said:

my mignon (Manuale) lost about 5-8g initially after cleaning. 
But now that seems static, I tend to lose around 0.2g.
I did make a few mods to it, like making an exit ramp so the grinds don't get pulled back underneath. 
No idea how much of this static or exchange.

Maybe try painting some beans and sending them through. 🤣

This will show you want exchange and retention is tho :) 

while your worried@MWJB is the king of pour overs, so id highly doubt hes using some crappy scales, hes forgotten more than i know about coffee 

200.gif

Fair enough lol just a thought that was all I obviously do not know people enough on this forum so far
7 minutes ago, Sam_d said:
14 hours ago, MWJB said:

It would give an idea as to why your scales are give crazy readings like that. Tho only set of scales I had that acted the same was a stupid cheap set of 0.1g resolution hence why I asked what scales your using. If you have spend some money on some scales that are not cheap then you may have a faulty set or something

Sure, but the point is 0.1g resolution is resolution, not accuracy. If you look at 0.1g resolution scales, datasheet accuracy is often 0.3g. I use these scales (3 different sets from different manufacturers) for weighing beverages (not dosing beans) where a gram makes next to no difference.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Which make and model ?

AWS SC2kg 

On Balance NV2000

...plus another set, (no visible name) like the ones in my avatar (though the avatar shows the 0.01g version).

I also have some Triton T3 660g 0.1g which do change reading in increments of 0.1g. 

Why do you ask?

• Thanks 1