IGNORED

Timemore Black mirror scales accuracy (fixed)

Thought I would post this to help out anyone else who has experienced the same problem with these scales.

After purchasing a set of black mirror scales from china via aliexpress, when I received them to my disappointment I found their accuracy much to be desired, differing by almost 1g depending on where object was placed and drifting by a couple of grams during brewing.

Anyway after having to pay a extra £11 to get them through customs I did not really want the hassle of returning them for a refund only to get part of my money back so I decided to open them up to see if they where fixable.

To open them there are just two screws on the bottom of the scale to remove which are where the base is attached to the load cell, they are covered up by two small round stickers, one which has B22 printed on it and the other one next to it, Just remove them with a modeling knife or similar and undo the two screws and the scale comes apart easily.

I found that the surface of the load cell where it is attached to the base had excessive adhesive on it and was not perfectly flat, after cleaning this with a knife and a bit of fine emery I re assembled the scale and have found it to have made a vast improvement, scale is now accurate to 0.1g across the surface and no longer drifts whilst making a pour over.

Pic of inside of scale showing load cell mounting surface.

IMG_20210104_215236.thumb.jpg.0ac81afdce67e615227b6f43ad95e4f7.jpg

Edited by ken0062
  • Like 1

@ken0062 Mine didn't have this much adhesive on my load cell; but saying that i wasn't having any accuracy problems either....i suppose you may have got a Friday afternoon or Monday morning version as our friends across the pond would say. Good that you've fixed them....for the price (£39) (11 days) i can't argue with them and as stated elsewhere if i only get a year out of them then i consider that a win win win.

I'm going to order a bigger Amp (less time between re-charging) battery from fleabay as there is bags of space for one; just needs some of that "plastic casing plastic" Dremmeling away and the batteries cost absolute peanuts....i'll also "fully seal it isnside" (as mention elsewhere) to make it 100% waterproof whilst they are apart.

Sent from my Dell E6220 using TapaNoTalk

Fides Nemo

@ken0062 a bigger Amp (less time between re-charging) battery from fleabay as there is bags of space for one; just needs some of that "plastic casing plastic" Dremmeling away and the batteries cost absolute peanuts....i'll also "fully seal it isnside" (as mention elsewhere) to make it 100% waterproof whilst they are apart.

Any poss your planning on documenting this with some pictures aswell??

@Sam_d Yeah i can do that....i took some piccies the 1st time they arrived and i whipped them apart (i was trying to see if they were the BT version but disabled) and for the life of me i can't find the bloody pictures....should've used a proper camera instead of a POS tablet.

Just looked on fleabay and a 5000mA (that's 5 Amps in real money) are averaging £12 ...bargain 😎

• Like 1

Fides Nemo