IGNORED

Bottomless portafilter handle for new Gaggia Classic (Pro)

Hi.

I have just ordered the new Classic and am finding it difficult to source a compatible bottomless portafilter handle in black and chrome/stainless

The 'bottomlesscoffeeshop' one on eBay states 'NOT suitable for New Gaggia Classic..'

Bella Barista told me "The Gaggia handles are a standard diameter (58mm) but the ears or “lugs” are not in the normal place so generic 58mm handles won’t fit a Gaggia.  We don’t stock Gaggia machines so won’t be looking to stock spares for them I’m afraid."

Gaggiadirect only have one in brown wood (aesthetically unacceptable!).

theespressoshop and Happy Donkey are out of stock.

I can't believe it's this difficult! Can anyone recommend a supplier for me?

That depends on which "New classic" is meant both by you and the advert. There's the 2015-2018 so called Classic which has an entirely different boiler. Gaggia's new Classic Pro goes back to the older boiler style which means portafilters for the original Classic will fit. 

The issue here is that since it was so reviled by the Gaggia owning community, the 2015 model is still in stock in some places as new old stock, and should be avoided at all costs. Do you have a model number or link to the place you ordered from?

Edited by allikat
12 minutes ago, allikat said:

. Do you have a model number or link to the place you ordered from?

It's this - newly stocked - so I am expecting(!!!) it to be the Italian-made, solenoid and professional steam wand one.

https://www.gaggiadirect.com/manual-machine-shop.html#!/Gaggia-Classic-2019-COLOR-BLACK-240V-Manual-Espresso-Coffee-Machine/p/201855044/category=28034025

Edited by CrazySnakeUncle
forgot to add URL

That's the Classic Pro. This means you can buy almost anything that's compatible with the original Classic unless it directly mentions it's for the 2015 model number 19403. For more serious modifications like pressure adjustment you should look at shadesofcoffee.co.uk .

22 minutes ago, allikat said:

That's the Classic Pro. This means you can buy almost anything that's compatible with the original Classic unless it directly mentions it's for the 2015 model number 19403. For more serious modifications like pressure adjustment you should look at shadesofcoffee.co.uk .

Many thanks. I was already on the Shades site for PID and OPV springs :)  

While I have you - the power switch mod also seems important given that the machine needs to warm up and yet might turn itself off again before I return to make the coffee! Did I interpret this correctly?

Yes, all models after 2015 have the auto power off after 30 minutes of inactivity. In theory you could make it stay on all day by using it at least once every 30 minutes, but that gets to be a pain in the behind and if you miss one it'll have shut off. For the first coffee of the day, you can get away with 15-20 minutes of warm up as the boiler and portafilter should be warm by that point. The cup warmer won't be very hot at that point, but you can always preheat your cup with brew water or water from the kettle. 

If you don't drink many coffees in a day, you can get by with just turning it on 20 minutes or so before you want a coffee, but for those of us with an addiction to caffination, get the mod wire that disables the shutoff, tho I do believe the PID kit from Mr Shades that works with the Pro model comes with just such a wire included.

• Like 1

I’d 100% agree with what @allikat is saying, there’s a deep hole somewhere waiting for the clown that devised that timer cut off with no means of overriding it as std, it’s completely ridiculous. Overcoming it is a simple enough fix, but iirc @MrShades has a replacement new style on/off rocker switch available now as a direct exchange for the oem part that can be fitted whilst you’ve got the top of for either the OPV spring or pid mods.
The switch override was the first thing I changed, then the horrible Gaggia group head seal and basket, followed just recently by the PiD, which is a great mod, but not essential in the short term if you can learn temperature surfing, although the improvement in the steam performance it gives is a huge bonus if you’re a milk drink fan, plus let’s be honest, it’s nice to see what the actual boiler temp is!

12 minutes ago, Deegee said:

... then the horrible Gaggia group head seal and basket, ...

Thanks - have ordered the IMS Gaggia Precision Shower Screen ø 55mm - GA200IM and also a VST 18g basket so I think I covered those items?

I decided against the brass dispersion block because I found more posts moaning about its hole positions than I did praising it's thermal properties!

Good move not going for the brass dispersion plate, I haven’t changed the shower screen on mine as yet as I haven’t had an issue, I did upgrade the basket to an IMS competition item which produced immediate results in the cup for me, I upgraded the group seal to the Cafelat Silicone one after a few months as I found the Gaggia oem rubber part hardened and cracked when I stripped everything out for a clean, much nicer to lock the portafilter in afterwards.

1 hour ago, Deegee said:

... I upgraded the group seal to the Cafelat Silicone one after a few months as I found the Gaggia oem rubber part hardened and cracked when I stripped everything out for a clean, much nicer to lock the portafilter in afterwards.

This puppy? Cafelat E61 Silicone Group Seal 73x57x8.5mm (Blue) 

https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en/Cafelat-E61-Silicone-Group-Seal-73x57x85mm-Blue/m-2590.aspx