IGNORED

Time to raise my coffee game ^^

Hey guys,  👋

I just joined the forum yesterday. :)

Making coffee at home (mostly with a 1-cup moka, occasionally with a French press when friends are around), I am quite frustrated by how quickly the aromas vanish once a pre-ground coffee bag is opened 😭. No matter how careful I am with storage, the taste evolves way too fast. And with lockdown / work from home causing a 4x increase in my home coffee consumption, while I do get through a bag faster, it also tends to increase the frustration frequency haha ^^

So it is time to raise my coffee game 😎. I have learnt a lot online, and I did not expect to discover such a coffee gear rabbit hole though!  🐇  And in the process, I discovered there was a whole coffee community!

Now, let me share my first coffee "investment plan" 😅 💸💸 💸

First, let me share some context information. Espresso is, by a large margin, my favourite coffee beverage 🤩. The same way I like to try to cook a dish I liked in a restaurant, I would like to try to pull shots inspired by visits to nice cafes. That being said, I am not ready to invest 1k£ in coffee gear, and I want to keep some portability for my next apartment move (especially if I move abroad). I typically drink coffee 1 to 3 times a day during the weekend or when working from home (hopefully I can get back to the office soon and get free coffee again haha). 

So for now, my plan is to buy a Comandante  💸💸. This would enable me to get better coffee with the gear I currently have, and an option to get into espresso later. For that 2nd step, my current choice would be a Flair Pro 2, for the low maintenance, portability, and lower cost of entry. I will wait for that though, just to make sure manual grinding does not discourage me from getting a manual lever machine.

I have not pulled the trigger yet, so if you have any recommendation, please let me know 🙏.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hello and welcome. Any fan of billions is a friend of mine! 

Espresso isn't my game so I'm not best to advise you but I do know the Commendante is one of the best hand grinders out there. With a hand grinder obviously the important thing is to have something that's easily adjustable and precise for dialling in purposes, I'm sure the guys will advise you on that. As you can imagine there are a lot of people at very similar points in their journeys so if you have a little read around, you'll see some good recommendations. 

Enjoy the rabbit hole! 

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to our coffee community.

As a fellow espresso lover, I started with a few hundred £'s some years ago and now although I have a good setup, I intend to upgrade sometime in tge near future.

My tip would be is to invest in a solid grinder and as your primary focus, an espresso machine as your secondary on the priority list. It'll pay dividends.

Anywho I'm sure there are others who have much more knowledge than me and will be chiming after me.

Good luck in your endeavours.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, BobbyAxelrod said:

Hey guys,  👋

I just joined the forum yesterday. :)

Making coffee at home (mostly with a 1-cup moka, occasionally with a French press when friends are around), I am quite frustrated by how quickly the aromas vanish once a pre-ground coffee bag is opened 😭. No matter how careful I am with storage, the taste evolves way too fast. And with lockdown / work from home causing a 4x increase in my home coffee consumption, while I do get through a bag faster, it also tends to increase the frustration frequency haha ^^

So it is time to raise my coffee game 😎. I have learnt a lot online, and I did not expect to discover such a coffee gear rabbit hole though!  🐇  And in the process, I discovered there was a whole coffee community!

Now, let me share my first coffee "investment plan" 😅 💸💸 💸

First, let me share some context information. Espresso is, by a large margin, my favourite coffee beverage 🤩. The same way I like to try to cook a dish I liked in a restaurant, I would like to try to pull shots inspired by visits to nice cafes. That being said, I am not ready to invest 1k£ in coffee gear, and I want to keep some portability for my next apartment move (especially if I move abroad). I typically drink coffee 1 to 3 times a day during the weekend or when working from home (hopefully I can get back to the office soon and get free coffee again haha). 

So for now, my plan is to buy a Comandante  💸💸. This would enable me to get better coffee with the gear I currently have, and an option to get into espresso later. For that 2nd step, my current choice would be a Flair Pro 2, for the low maintenance, portability, and lower cost of entry. I will wait for that though, just to make sure manual grinding does not discourage me from getting a manual lever machine.

I have not pulled the trigger yet, so if you have any recommendation, please let me know 🙏.

Cheers!

Bobby I would also consider the 1zpresso JX Pro as a hand grinder. Have a look at reviews and youtube videos to compare them both. I haven't used the Comandante but I'm really pleasantly surprised at the ease of use and the grind quality from the 1zpresso. I use it with a marax for espresso and it is consistent, would be even more so if you took me out of the equation 😂

• Like 1

Lelit MaraX, VST 20g competition, IMS screen, Niche Zero

Welcome to the forum...I'd second the comment about the JX Pro, it's a nicely made hand grinder that works very well.

• Like 1

Nothing here...

33 minutes ago, Rapid said:

Hello and welcome. Any fan of billions is a friend of mine! 

Espresso isn't my game so I'm not best to advise you but I do know the Commendante is one of the best hand grinders out there. With a hand grinder obviously the important thing is to have something that's easily adjustable and precise for dialling in purposes, I'm sure the guys will advise you on that. As you can imagine there are a lot of people at very similar points in their journeys so if you have a little read around, you'll see some good recommendations. 

Enjoy the rabbit hole! 

Thanks! Glad to see you noticed the reference! 😉

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Farravi said:

Hello and welcome to our coffee community.

As a fellow espresso lover, I started with a few hundred £'s some years ago and now although I have a good setup, I intend to upgrade sometime in tge near future.

My tip would be is to invest in a solid grinder and as your primary focus, an espresso machine as your secondary on the priority list. It'll pay dividends.

Anywho I'm sure there are others who have much more knowledge than me and will be chiming after me.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Thanks for sharing your advice! Yes, I will invest first in a grinder and get into espresso in a second step :) It is all about enjoying the ride ^^ 

10 minutes ago, AlanSky said:

Bobby I would also consider the 1zpresso JX Pro as a hand grinder. Have a look at reviews and youtube videos to compare them both. I haven't used the Comandante but I'm really pleasantly surprised at the ease of use and the grind quality from the 1zpresso. I use it with a marax for espresso and it is consistent, would be even more so if you took me out of the equation 😂

Thanks for the recommendation, that is super useful!
The 1zpresso JX Pro looks nice, I need to learn more about it :)
Was there any particular reason that made you choose this grinder?

16 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Welcome to the forum...I'd second the comment about the JX Pro, it's a nicely made hand grinder that works very well.

Thanks! I will definitely learn more about this grinder! I'm glad I'm getting more information to take my decision :)

58 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Thanks for the review :) 

I can see some pros for the JX Pro vs the Comandante: probably more transport-friendly as it's fully metal, the grind adjustment at the top with numbers probably makes it easier to adjust between brew methods, no plastic internals, cheaper, and (as of today) more availability of the product.  Overall it seems quite a good value for money.

I have the JX Pro and for espresso it’s better than my Eureka Specialita for producing consistent fluffy grinds.  

Its great for pour over but the last few days I have been trying it with a french press and finding it produces a lot of very fine grinds. Which end up in the cup.   I don’t do many pour overs but I don’t notice this with the pre ground coffee I was bought for Christmas

Overall though it’s a fantastic grinder for the price  I bought it to use when I was away in my caravan for pour over but now use it at home to sample  new beans rather than change beans in the Specialita hopper 

• Like 1