18 hours ago, Dallah said:

@Winnietheschmoo will you only be drinking filter coffee? Or do you have a need for espresso as well?  Personally I have two hand grinders (both from MBK) for filter. One for at work and one for at home. I can grind even the lightest roasted wild Ethiopian beans in about a minute. Personally I just don’t see the need for an electric grinder for filter  But that is just me. 

I had thought that a hand grinder would be a good option. The ROK was a potential candidate, and the HG-1 would be lovely I’m sure, but having used a Hario hand grinder in the past, I am keen to go electric. Besides, the electric grinders are just such lovely toys and there is pleasure in the sound of high quality electric grinding, not to mention the convenience and speed. I do often grind 60 grams of coffee for a batch brew and think an electric machine would be more practical. If Bella Barista still have the Solo single dose grinder in stock when they reopen, I will go in and see how the feel and sound, and more importantly how consistently they grind at filter coarseness. It’s just a shame that money doesn’t grow on bushes like our beloved coffee beans. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coffee Italia offered an "incentive" of 2.5% off the retail price iirc if you paid via "bacs/money-transfer/bank"....whilst this looked good in reality it was their way of making sure you couldn't cla

It does mean taking the base off, but it's minimal thereafter. See below. I do it on all my electricals because I'm a touch OCD!    

FYI on all my equipment I loosen the mains cable clamp, insert excess cable into the body and re-clamp. Can do it on the Mignon as well as nearly any machine or grinder to be honest! If you want video

Posted Images

On 31/03/2021 at 13:27, Kjk said:

The Specialita is a good grinder and seems to be the go-to home prosumer model, up to you as to whether or not you see value between that and the XL - common wisdom is that bigger is better with respect to burrs but I don't know how much additional cost is justified for more burr or a bigger adjustment wheel. Check the Eureka section of the Grinder forum @Coff Hey has done some cool videos taking apart Eureka grinders to show you some internal differences - I remember reading a comment alluding to better machining in the Specialita, not sure if that holds true into the XL or it is just "bigger is better".

Usual delayed response sorry guys.

Apologies for the alluding with no explanation, feel free to call me up on things like that I am awful at explaining myself!! So to be clear the Specialita and XL both have their motors, motor holders and top burr holders machined in a separate process to ensure parallelity.

The XL is a commercial, speciality 65mm grinder in a domestic body. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not for everyone and honestly a 55 Specialita grinds near as makes no difference as well. My advice is you'll know if you need an XL. And if you don't know - then don't fret about it. Honestly :)

unnamed.jpg

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Coff Hey said:

So to be clear the Specialita and XL both have their motors, motor holders and top burr holders machined in a separate process to ensure parallelity.

Do you mean Specialita and XL each have there own separate machining or these two are separate from the rest of the mignon range?

1 hour ago, P1Fanatic said:

Do you mean Specialita and XL each have there own separate machining or these two are separate from the rest of the mignon range?

Sorry so yes to be clear. Firstly so does brew pro but unless anyone says specifically I assume we’re all on same page regards excluding it from seeping statements aha. 

so specifically the aluminium billet that forms the motor holder, burr holder and the face of the motor body  to which the holder secures are machined to silly tolerances.

A good metaphor would be it’s akin to the time cost and tolerance BMW work to when they produce an engine vs mclaren!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Coff Hey said:

Sorry so yes to be clear. Firstly so does brew pro but unless anyone says specifically I assume we’re all on same page regards excluding it from seeping statements aha. 

so specifically the aluminium billet that forms the motor holder, burr holder and the face of the motor body  to which the holder secures are machined to silly tolerances.

A good metaphor would be it’s akin to the time cost and tolerance BMW work to when they produce an engine vs mclaren!

It’s great to get answers like this from someone who has the access/time to take these things apart and explain the differences - a lot of recommendations are “buy what I have because I have it”. 

I’m now very curious as to what I’d know if I needed the XL! Specialita is the first good grinder I’ve owned so I have no basis for comparison. Waiting for my Niche to arrive so I’ll have the luxury of running two well regarded grinders side by side for a while.

PMA all day!

13 hours ago, Kjk said:

It’s great to get answers like this from someone who has the access/time to take these things apart and explain the differences - a lot of recommendations are “buy what I have because I have it”. 

I’m now very curious as to what I’d know if I needed the XL! Specialita is the first good grinder I’ve owned so I have no basis for comparison. Waiting for my Niche to arrive so I’ll have the luxury of running two well regarded grinders side by side for a while.

Would i recommend one to shoppers who's budget reaches? Yes

Would i recommend one over an atom 65 speciality? Yes

Would i replace a broken 55 with one? Yes

Would i recommend one over an atom 75? No

Would i replace a working 55 with one? No

It's a brilliant grinder but if you have a 55 just don't worry about it! If you are coming from nothing, hand, or retail grinder then by all means buy one its brilliant! But sits too close to the 55 to warrant the 300 odd quid its realistically going to cost you to do the switch..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That sums up my position well as I have no grinder at the moment but the £240 difference over the 55 is a little steep but its my birthday soon so what the hell. Best part is when the wife asks I just say its a Eureka Mignon which are around £200 🤭

There was me debating if matte black was better than gloss black to the realise they only do the XL in matte black. Atom 75 is a jump to far for me price and size wise. Decision made - will order XL next week. BB seem to be the only ones who stock it in the UK.

My XL in Matte Black turned up today from BB (I was trying do decide gloss or matte black only to realise that the XL only comes in matte vs the Specialita which comes in both options). Damn it is hefty for such a small thing - tried picking it up out of the box with one hand and soon changed to two hands lol.

Not used it in anger yet but at first glance:

Positives = Looks great, feels well built and sturdy, like the dial with grind sizes on the side vs the top

Negatives = The gold XL badge on the front is ever so slightly lopsided which triggers my OCD, the power cable is very long and no mechanism to store or shorten it, the black hopper release tab seems like an afterthought as very flimsy (mine doesn't even fully close - not sure if that's by design or just needs some use to loosen up a bit more).

37 minutes ago, P1Fanatic said:

My XL in Matte Black turned up today from BB (I was trying do decide gloss or matte black only to realise that the XL only comes in matte vs the Specialita which comes in both options). Damn it is hefty for such a small thing - tried picking it up out of the box with one hand and soon changed to two hands lol.

Not used it in anger yet but at first glance:

Positives = Looks great, feels well built and sturdy, like the dial with grind sizes on the side vs the top

Negatives = The gold XL badge on the front is ever so slightly lopsided which triggers my OCD, the power cable is very long and no mechanism to store or shorten it, the black hopper release tab seems like an afterthought as very flimsy (mine doesn't even fully close - not sure if that's by design or just needs some use to loosen up a bit more).

FYI on all my equipment I loosen the mains cable clamp, insert excess cable into the body and re-clamp. Can do it on the Mignon as well as nearly any machine or grinder to be honest! If you want video how to just ask!

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Coff Hey said:

FYI on all my equipment I loosen the mains cable clamp, insert excess cable into the body and re-clamp. Can do it on the Mignon as well as nearly any machine or grinder to be honest! If you want video how to just ask!

Good to know thanks. Is that easy enough to do or does it involve taking it apart to get to the inside near the bottom where the cable enters the chassis?

9 hours ago, P1Fanatic said:

Good to know thanks. Is that easy enough to do or does it involve taking it apart to get to the inside near the bottom where the cable enters the chassis?

It does mean taking the base off, but it's minimal thereafter. See below. I do it on all my electricals because I'm a touch OCD!

• Like 2

Thanks for that. Will take a look once I've decided where its going to stay. From your video I am not sure how much space there will be (possibly less with the XL model) and if enough slack in the blue/brown/yellow wires to hide enough of the power cable (probably looking at reducing by 2/3rds as so close to wall socket). But good to know something can be done.

I just measured it and its longer than I remembered - 165cm from where it leaves the grinder exit to the bottom of the plug! Is that the same for the Specialita or does the XL come with an XL (eXtra Long) power cable 😆

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

After getting the Niche for a week now i am a disapointed a little bit because i expected it to be a huge step from the BB005 and i am thinking maybe the problem is that i prefer the taste profile of flat burrs! So i am considering to buy a Mignon and again i am uncertain do i need the XL or the Specialita will be enough (in term of grinding quality and consequently the taste)

very interestred to know how do you think about this whole thing!

i will appreciate any comparison between the Niche and Specialita, Magnifico  or XL :)

They are different machines. One is time based and the other is single dosing. So also depends what you want to do with it. The Mignon is more suited to a single grind type and not setup for switching between like the Niche. As for flavour differences some would say you need to wear those Niche burrs in before making a decision. Other than that the only way to tell what you prefer would be to test them side by side. You could easily do that and if you prefer the Mignon you shouldn't lose any money on the Niche - may even make some if you sell on Ebay.

The XL is £240 over the price of the Specialita. Differences:

-Larger 65mm diamond burrs

-Faster grind speed (not sure if that is solely down to larger burrs)

-Rubberised PF holder

-Grind dial has grind numbers on the sides rather than the top so easier to see but still a small dial

-The entire chassis is the same colour (base on the Specialita is different)

-XL badge on the front is a proper bade and not a sticker

Whether that amounts up to £240 better is your call. It has the same dimensions as the Specialita other than being an extra 3cm taller.

@Coff Hey

I am new here. Just made a post on a different thread but I think this one seems more pertinent. 

I am at the tail end of an aeon of research and just this Friday decided definitively that the Specialita is THEE grinder to pair with our Linea Mini according to our budget and needs. 4-6 shots per day. Single dosing. 

Then Saturday I discovered the XL. It's so new I can't find much info on it. The ELR system appeals to me as well as the bigger burrs. I typically thought bigger burrs most of the time = higher retention. That 0.2 retention sounds almost too good to be true. 

The extra few hundred doesn't bother me. 

Were you implying above that the XL is simply a "Specialty 65" inside a Mignon casing? I was under the impression the Specialty 65 has 2.5-4grams retention and had already decided on the Specialita as opposed to the Specialty. Also, the specialty 65 is over $700 more than the Specialita where I'm from. With the XL being only $300 more, that's more in my price range. 

I am finally down to two grinders in my decision: The Specialita or the Mignon XL. Just need help deciding! 

Please help! 

Thank you. 

Edited by HelmerFudd
Added a sentence.
1 hour ago, HelmerFudd said:

@Coff Hey

I am new here. Just made a post on a different thread but I think this one seems more pertinent. 

I am at the tail end of an aeon of research and just this Friday decided definitively that the Specialita is THEE grinder to pair with our Linea Mini according to our budget and needs. 4-6 shots per day. Single dosing. 

Then Saturday I discovered the XL. It's so new I can't find much info on it. The ELR system appeals to me as well as the bigger burrs. I typically thought bigger burrs most of the time = higher retention. That 0.2 retention sounds almost too good to be true. 

The extra few hundred doesn't bother me. 

Were you implying above that the XL is simply a "Specialty 65" inside a Mignon casing? I was under the impression the Specialty 65 has 2.5-4grams retention and had already decided on the Specialita as opposed to the Specialty. Also, the specialty 65 is over $700 more than the Specialita where I'm from. With the XL being only $300 more, that's more in my price range. 

I am finally down to two grinders in my decision: The Specialita or the Mignon XL. Just need help deciding! 

Please help! 

Thank you. 

Sorry I was too flippant!

The XL is similar to an S 65. Speed quality and volume. The grind chamber has 65 blades squeezed in resulting in low retention. 

the s 65 is however in the body designed for a 75. Meaning the burrs are lost in the chamber. Eg much higher retention!

if I had a requirement for 2kg+ a day In a shop then s 65 probably starting to make sense it’s big hopper, employee proof body etc. but to be clear the XL is grinder to go for at 65mm money.

All brands considered the grind quality is exceptional, Eurekas always punch in this department. Bear in mind the fiorenzatos and Mazzer are same blades from first gen super jolly for example. I think they came out in like 2000 didn’t they? Historian will have to jump in and correct me aha!

but yeah go for it unless you’ve got 80mm money don’t think twice!

Oh and I’m not privy to how eureka measure it but the true way to measure retention is with volume

from a cleaned grinder I weigh in lots of coffee. No less than 250g and weigh out with individual programs with pauses between. 

You can then see what the grinder has really retained! Unsurprisingly tells different story to most published figures!

2 hours ago, HelmerFudd said:

I'd read more about that. Specialita doesn't fare that well with single dosing. Hence all the SD mods you see, caps, tubes, bellows etc I needs some weight behind the beans really.