1 minute ago, Rickv said:

Fair point. I’m looking for the easy option so always have a half full hopper and love the on demand. I toyed with the idea of the niche but don’t want the work flow that goes along with it. I have two young children though and time is precious and I’m constantly spinning plates. Would love to try one and see if I can tell the difference in the cup though.

Yes, I def want a grinder that holds the portafiler. Ideally one thats easy to change grind every kilo but also that looks fairly stylish.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coffee Italia offered an "incentive" of 2.5% off the retail price iirc if you paid via "bacs/money-transfer/bank"....whilst this looked good in reality it was their way of making sure you couldn't cla

Its bigger, i suppose though if you make the housing smaller theres less free space for grounds to occupy.  I think the only way to truely tell between retention and exchange would be to grind re

FYI on all my equipment I loosen the mains cable clamp, insert excess cable into the body and re-clamp. Can do it on the Mignon as well as nearly any machine or grinder to be honest! If you want video

Posted Images

Just now, Geezercdg said:

Yes, I def want a grinder that holds the portafiler. Ideally one thats easy to change grind every kilo but also that looks fairly stylish.

Any thoughts?

Other can chip in , as I’m not sure what stylish in a grinder really is tbh. 

If you are going to use a kg of coffee at a go , how many drink are you making as a hopper fed grinder might be a good option anyway 

Do you intend to weigh your dose or not ? Would you consider second hand from a reputable seller from the forum 

BB have got the wattage wrong, they put the RPM there instead of the 300w it runs on.

Not “1650 Watts”, that would be the same as an EK43.

Some concern on Home Barista about it being underpowered for a higher RPM and burr size in comparison to the other Eureka models. Quite interested in reading a proper review of it though.

1 minute ago, Mrboots2u said:

Other can chip in , as I’m not sure what stylish in a grinder really is tbh. 

If you are going to use a kg of coffee at a go , how many drink are you making as a hopper fed grinder might be a good option anyway 

Do you intend to weigh your dose or not ? Would you consider second hand from a reputable seller from the forum 

I dont currently weigh and yes would consider second hand.

Just now, Northern_Monkey said:

BB have got the wattage wrong, they put the RPM there instead of the 300w it runs on.

Not “1650 Watts”, that would be the same as an EK43.

Some concern on Home Barista about it being underpowered for a higher RPM and burr size in comparison to the other Eureka models. Quite interested in reading a proper review of it though.

There is a video review on you tube 

• Thanks 1
I dont currently weigh and yes would consider second hand.

I would highly recommend weighing your grind. When I start with new beans I’m weighing, the grind, timing the shot and weighing the output for a 1.2 ratio. I use 16 grams of ground coffee to 32 espresso. Once I’m there I’ll just weigh the shot and use the timer on the specilita for the grind time. I’ll re weigh the grinds and time the shot every couple of days and make minor adjustments as needed.
2 minutes ago, Rickv said:

I would highly recommend weighing your grind.

The problem is I have a sage oracle which isnt really designed to be easily tweaked. Although its sold as semi automatic its not designed for fiddling which is why I want to buy a new grinder and then look at new machines.

The problem is I have a sage oracle which isnt really designed to be easily tweaked. Although its sold as semi automatic its not designed for fiddling which is why I want to buy a new grinder and then look at new machines.

That’s fine. Just going forward even with a new grinder make sure you get a scale if you want consistency.
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, allikat said:

Hrm, only 100 quid less than the Zenith and Atom... probably worth the extra 100 unless you really need the smaller size.

Which would you say is best - Zenith or Atom?

I meant Helios, not Zenith... and given the tweaks to the Helios from the older Atom, I'd only get an Atom if it were priced significantly lower than the Helios. Which it isn't... so Helios. Then again, we can still play the "It's only 100 more for" game another step and all of a sudden we've gone from the £600 Mignon XL, via the £700 Atom/Helios to the £800 Olympus with 75mm burrs... No, winning is not possible in this game.  But both the Olympus and Atom/Helios are bigger grinders, more commercial sized, so you have to take that into account too.

• Like 2

Think this is to cater to a different market, those who dont want a massive machine on the bench, bit more elegant, but still want something big burr with low retention, 

• Like 1

Way too early for this sh...

1 hour ago, B-Roadie said:

Helios looks good but it’s a big old beast.

Yes it is. If you have the space for it, then it's going to be a little more capable than the Mignon, but not everyone does. And this is why I will never condemn Eureka for having such a huge range of grinders. It makes finding the right one for you pretty easy.

I’m still on a Mignon mkII for now. I’m waiting to see what the rest of their “Oro” series is all about.

The Prometheus looks interesting, very little info around on that. The Zeus too although again it’s a bit of a monster for home use.

The rumoured single doser which is supposedly going to be in the Niche price point ball park has me intrigued.

I can’t fault Eureka for their designs vs other brands. Production quality seems a little variable on Mignon Specialita though. A relative had some significant shimming to do on his, it was visibly out of alignment, almost as if the motor spindle were bent but it wasn’t. Not bad but also not fantastic support from BB on that one. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, B-Roadie said:

I’m still on a Mignon mkII for now.

I have of those too and either BB had my pants down or the fact in 2013 it was nearly £300 and a mignon chrono now is £245 yet a classic in 2013 was £165 and a classic now is £400 doesn't quite make sense to me?

I’ve run a Specialita for just under a year with no issues barring a little realignment during a strip & clean, I’m interested in the Mignon XL, but not because I want to buy one, but because I’m curious as to how they’ve allegedly got the retention down.

I’m not sure yet whether it’s a genuinely upgraded model with low retention or a slightly beefier Specialita with 65’s shoehorned in to catch the size queens?

• Like 1

Its bigger, i suppose though if you make the housing smaller theres less free space for grounds to occupy. 

I think the only way to truely tell between retention and exchange would be to grind red beans then blue beans ans see whats what 

I know my 50mm mignon would hold say 2g from a clean, then 0.1g the next dose, 

Im going to see what the 55mm does in terms of retention 

• Like 2

Way too early for this sh...