IGNORED

New coffee distribution tool

Hi all, 

In case anyone is interested, I created a 3D-printable (and editable) coffee distribution tool. It works *amazingly* well. It is based on various previous tools found on thingiverse. It uses planetary gears to rotate a bunch of needles on top of the basket. It creates an even and fluffy bed, even with my sage grinder. 

Feel free to download, edit and print your own versions: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4720148

Some pics below. 

edite: anyone knows how to make the images smaller here ? 

20210112_105122.thumb.jpg.8e528443043ec978399f462c03375495.jpg

20210112_105316.jpg

Edited by Ilias
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I've seen something like that on thingiverse before but couldn't figure out just by looking what the purpose the circular bits was....now I know they're moving parts! How did you modify the existing thing?

5 hours ago, Ilias said:

edite: anyone knows how to make the images smaller here ? 

I've found the quickest and easiest way of making a large picture file, smaller, is WhatsApp it, to your other half, then get them to send it back..grab it from your WhatsApp album in your gallery....

2 hours ago, Rob1 said:

I've seen something like that on thingiverse before but couldn't figure out just by looking what the purpose the circular bits was....now I know they're moving parts! How did you modify the existing thing?

Unfortunately the guy who made the original design  didn't share the source code...   so, I did it from scratch (based on the code for the gears found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:53451) .

I attached my code so you can modify it completely if you like. I had about 15 espresso shots since i made it and they were super consistent and tasty. 

Edited by Ilias
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Pete10uk said:

This Looks brilliant.

Not got into 3D printing, Always seems too complicated. What did you use to print it?

My cheap creality ender 3 printer and 31 grams of PLA. Cost is about 90 cents...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Quite surprised the Chinese haven't copied and flooded the market; there's time yet though. :classic_rolleyes:

I think it is the size of the market. I’ve managed for 7 years without one and had perfectly good coffee. It’s only now I’m pushing for exceptionally good coffee I’m going the extra mile. I’m not sure the masses will follow. 

Smart – I like the approach you've taken here, and very generous of you @Ilias to open-source it.

I don't have a 3D printer or the confidence enough in knowing the variables to place an order for one from a print hub – so like @Mrboots2u I'd also be interested if anyone arranged for a few to be produced.

I’m looking at getting a printer in the next few weeks on the back of this and a few other pieces I’ve come across that I want to  play with.

I have no idea if this is in my ability scope but I’m sure I’ll enjoy giving it ago. If I get a reasonable result with it I’ll let you know and I’ll happily print some parts out for people. 

Guys, before you jump into ordering a big nubmer of prints, lets have some people testing it first so we can fix small things. I am already working on widening a bit the tips of the pegs so they snap into the buttons without glue 😛

Edited by Ilias
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Ilias said:

Guys, before you jump into ordering a big nubmer of prints, lets have some people testing it first so we can fix small things.

I'll run one of these off this evening in PETG and feed back any thoughts. I use one of those big heavy distributors at the moment so interested to see how this compares.

Very cool mod, something about the useless ornament 'for the sake of it'  prints on thingiverse always winds me up, awesome to see a mod that makes one of them into a unique and effective tool. Kudos!

2 minutes ago, Robbie said:I use one of those big heavy distributors at the moment so interested to see how this compares.
3 minutes ago, Robbie said:

I use one of those big heavy distributors at the moment so interested to see how this compares.

I don’t think they are the same tool,  this is to fluff up the grinds to break up any clumps and make an even consistency, before using your tool to level out the puck prior to tamping. This is my understanding, you might be able to drop using your tool and go straight to tamping as this should level out the grinds to some degree, but the big heavy tools don’t get rid of the clumps as this does. 

6 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

@Ilias questions above....also which CAD program/s are you using and which slicer ?

I didn't try ABS, I only had PLA arround 

I modified the original planetary gear design which was in openScad... so the design is in openscad unfortunately. It is not my favorite program but it works.... 

For the slicer i use CURA. I print with 20% gyroid infill and Initial horizontal expansion to -0.2mm to avoid the "elephant's foot" (could make the gears harder to separate). 

After you print the gears would be slightly stuck but you can bend them up/down very slightly and they will snap into place. 

50 minutes ago, Robbie said:

I'll run one of these off this evening in PETG and feed back any thoughts. I use one of those big heavy distributors at the moment so interested to see how this compares.

Very cool mod, something about the useless ornament 'for the sake of it'  prints on thingiverse always winds me up, awesome to see a mod that makes one of them into a unique and effective tool. Kudos!

I uploaded a slightly modified version yesterday where the pegs are a tighter fit (Hopefully no glue will be needed).  

Edited by Ilias
  • Thanks 1

I sorted mine with a little help from some Blu Tack between the gears and the buttons. It works, in that when I rotate the top the needles spin. I love the fact that a device with an epicyclic gearbox is included but I cannot fathom what the benefit is that a couple of taps on the worktop won't deliver followed by tamping.