IGNORED

What's happened to Coffee by the Casuals?

Hey everybody, and happy new year! Just wanted to give a quick update. I've had a couple of enquiries now from forum members, and having put my newborn down for a few minutes I can write to you all.

This week was meant to mark our return to roasting after a well-deserved break. Unfortunately, it seems that our roaster needs some essential work doing on it in order to improve the airflow. I'll be taking it apart this week to make sure the dampers haven't moved out of place, and if that's all correct then we'll be installing an in-line fan in the ducting to improve airflow and ventilation. We're worried about a combination of the beans getting too hot and also tasting a bit roasty, and we don't want to undo all our hard work in gaining your trust as a roaster.

If anybody wants to give me any tips on how to break into our Dalian without doing too much damage then feel free to message me! We might be breaking new ground here. 

Our hope is that we will be roasting again by the end of the month, with a new Casuals and Friends subscription, and some new beans ready to release! 

Thank you again for all of your support for the past few months. Stay safe out (in?) there.

Best wishes
Gareth

• Like 4

Hi Gareth

Just wondering if you have checked the impeller at the top of the cyclone. That was the source of my airflow problems a few months back. I now check that regularly and ensure the blades are clean.

What makes you suspect the dampers have moved out of place?

The operation of the CA damper can be viewed through the cleaning hatch under the cooling tray. I think you can also check the movement of the SD damper by removing the end panel.

Also, the ss pipework is really easy to remove and inspect.

You might want to take a few pics along the way both to document progress and for future reference. (and to share with the rest of us 😊)

Good luck and please keep us updated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Coffee by the Casuals Hi Gareth

@RDC8 comment above made me think back to an issue that I had that is documented in the look what's coming on test Amazon dalian thread where the fan / impeller on top of the cyclone stopped working (and had been slowing down a little for a while looking back on roasting logs, with increasingly roasty flavour notes) prior to me replacing the film film resister (rectangular black thing) near the fan  / impeller itself. Was bought from RS and may need to check which one best with @DavecUK if the original spec one no longer available as to suitable replacement.

Why i think this worth looking at is, once changed, air flow was at least the same if not better (this may be wishful thinking) but did notice having to change the CA / SD setting quite markedly after change implying things had not been good for a time or was not fully functioning from the start.

Hope you get things sorted soon and if you do order the above might be worth having a spare as well if that makes sense.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have reminded me I did send Gareth some information on that and a .pdf, but I ran out of message space and eventually had to delete it, mods had less message space than anyone else (lots less, 75 pms i think) due to a miss-configuration. I have tried to make contact with Gareth to help him, but he has not responded to my pm yet. Perhaps he will read this.

@Coffee by the Casuals

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing here...

On 12/01/2021 at 07:31, RDC8 said:

Just wondering if you have checked the impeller at the top of the cyclone. That was the source of my airflow problems a few months back. I now check that regularly and ensure the blades are clean.

We have indeed. We gave that a good scrape a couple of months ago - well worth it. In hindsight I do wonder whether the deterioration started at that moment...

What makes you suspect the dampers have moved out of place?

There was one or two roasting sessions where I felt that the damper rods were moving with additional resistance, as though scraping on something. 

The operation of the CA damper can be viewed through the cleaning hatch under the cooling tray. I think you can also check the movement of the SD damper by removing the end panel.

Also, the ss pipework is really easy to remove and inspect.

You might want to take a few pics along the way both to document progress and for future reference. (and to share with the rest of us 😊)

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Thank you! Will do my best to take pics. 

On 12/01/2021 at 10:01, johnealey said:

@RDC8 comment above made me think back to an issue that I had that is documented in the look what's coming on test Amazon dalian thread where the fan / impeller on top of the cyclone stopped working (and had been slowing down a little for a while looking back on roasting logs, with increasingly roasty flavour notes) prior to me replacing the film film resister (rectangular black thing) near the fan  / impeller itself. Was bought from RS and may need to check which one best with @DavecUK if the original spec one no longer available as to suitable replacement.

Thanks John - I've found your post and I'm copying it here for my own reference later... 

22 hours ago, DavecUK said:

You have reminded me I did send Gareth some information on that and a .pdf, but I ran out of message space and eventually had to delete it, mods had less message space than anyone else (lots less, 75 pms i think) due to a miss-configuration. I have tried to make contact with Gareth to help him, but he has not responded to my pm yet. Perhaps he will read this.

@Coffee by the Casuals

Hi Dave - sorry for the delay in responding, and thanks for messaging. I have now managed to respond. Do you still happen to have a copy of the PDF knocking around? Seems like it could very useful at this time.