IGNORED

2003 Classic strip down

Think this has been in a shed for a while although the boiler and internals look great and came apart easily the dispersion plate and shower plate need replacing

So far I’ve used heat and plus gas - Any suggestions? Got it soaking in plus gas ATM

8B5CA7D2-5733-47A4-A364-8B9208FFAF9C.jpeg

Hexagon on the left hand bolt still looks ok to undo. Right hex bolt looks slightly rounded off?

Try shocking the hex bolts loose with a sharp blow on the end of the hex key or preferably on the end of a socket wrench fitted with a 5mm hex key socket

If they won't undo you will have to drill the bolt heads out.

once the bolts are out or the head drilled off, screw in a long bolt (40mm minimum) in the shower screen bolt hole and it will lift the dispersion plate out.

If the gasket is solid then, I usually soak the group in Puly, then after an hour soak, force in a screw in the gasket and it will normally pull out using pliers on the screw.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, ratty said:

Hexagon on the left hand bolt still looks ok to undo. Right hex bolt looks slightly rounded off?

Try shocking the hex bolts loose with a sharp blow on the end of the hex key or preferably on the end of a socket wrench fitted with a 5mm hex key socket

If they won't undo you will have to drill the bolt heads out.

once the bolts are out or the head drilled off, screw in a long bolt (40mm minimum) in the shower screen bolt hole and it will lift the dispersion plate out.

If the gasket is solid then, I usually soak the group in Puly, then after an hour soak, force in a screw in the gasket and it will normally pull out using pliers on the screw.

Thanks @rattyI think I was resigned to the drill but thought I’d ask anyway

I’ll let you know

Where abouts are you based if your close enough I have a manual impact driver witch would possibly free up any solid screws and or Allen key bolts.

Or you could buy one as there pretty cheap

https://www.toolstation.com/impact-driver-bit-set/p90581?store=LR&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6Or_BRC_ARIsAPzuer-gzllhavFEV8xrrWL3iWc7z2LlhwkPZ27HqgsH6JjmPY6Dt3dADUIaAkuFEALw_wcB

Just need to have the driver bit you need they take normal driver bits just a bit of a hit with a hammer. They do work amazingly well on hard fasteners

• Like 2

How about chucking it in the freezer over night then heating the group head? While hitting it with an impact driver? 

I have a 10v makita and it’s diamond on the smaller stuff 

That right one does look a tad "rounded".....a "torx" bit; preferably one that needs "tapping" in to make it fit....this combined with said Impact driver and a persuader and 🙏

Failing that then yes...drill the head off.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

You can also buy a set of stud/bolt removal tools, basically they come with the correct size drill bit for the corrosponding removal bit witch is used in a drill on the reverse setting after you have drilled enough of the bolt out. And as long as its not a dirt cheap set you shouldn't have any problems.

But as said before the best thing my well be to find a torks bit rather then a Allen bit and tap a really tight fitting bit in and use that possibly along with some heat or after being in the freezer over night

Unlike yours, most of the corrosion problems are with the boiler to group head bolts.

I was wondering if an impact driver would fit in the space available for attempting to undo these bolts or could you buy a 90mm length hex key or torx bit to fit in the impact driver for the clearance at the side of the boiler?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, ratty said:

Unlike yours, most of the corrosion problems are with the boiler to group head bolts.

I was wondering if an impact driver would fit in the space available for attempting to undo these bolts or could you buy a 90mm length hex key or torx bit to fit in the impact driver for the clearance at the side of the boiler?

I’ll let you know when mine arrives but they all seem to be quite chunky I guess to give maximum torque when belted and I wonder if extending will reduce the “impact”

• Like 1

if extending will reduce the “impact”

Yes it will reduce the applyed torque as the extension will twist slightly and use some of the torque output but I don't think it would be enough to render it useless, you only need to free off the bolt with one or 2 impacts and you should be able to unscrew them with a Allen key
  • Like 1

Thanks for all of the advice and we have success

Bought an impact driver and an adaptor for 1/4 socket to 1/4 hex

Both bolts came out with the adaptor and socket although I needed to sacrifice an oversize torx bit as advised by @Sam_d& @MartinB for one of them 

Then used the Big screw trick to force it out

Thanks all - Now I can get on with cleaning it up!

2ACE7187-4BD8-490C-AA76-6D922865F695.jpeg

Edited by Uncletits
  • Like 7
On 16/01/2021 at 13:55, Uncletits said:

Thanks for all of the advice and we have success

Bought an impact driver and an adaptor for 1/4 socket to 1/4 hex

Both bolts came out with the adaptor and socket although I needed to sacrifice an oversize torx bit as advised by @Sam_d& @MartinB for one of them 

Then used the Big screw trick to force it out

Thanks all - Now I can get on with cleaning it up!

2ACE7187-4BD8-490C-AA76-6D922865F695.jpeg

I'm glad to hear it all worked out mate 😁👍

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mulligrub said:

Great job Neil, What build date is the machine?

Hi Rob

This was 2003 but came with broken switch and steam knob however the boiler is way better than the 2002 I also have so may build the best one from the two

Edited by Uncletits
  • Like 1