Coffee Forums banner

2003 Classic strip down

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Mulligrub 
#1 ·
Think this has been in a shed for a while although the boiler and internals look great and came apart easily the dispersion plate and shower plate need replacing

So far I've used heat and plus gas - Any suggestions? Got it soaking in plus gas ATM

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Gas Automotive wheel system

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hexagon on the left hand bolt still looks ok to undo. Right hex bolt looks slightly rounded off?

Try shocking the hex bolts loose with a sharp blow on the end of the hex key or preferably on the end of a socket wrench fitted with a 5mm hex key socket

If they won't undo you will have to drill the bolt heads out.

once the bolts are out or the head drilled off, screw in a long bolt (40mm minimum) in the shower screen bolt hole and it will lift the dispersion plate out.

If the gasket is solid then, I usually soak the group in Puly, then after an hour soak, force in a screw in the gasket and it will normally pull out using pliers on the screw.

#3 ·
Hexagon on the left hand bolt still looks ok to undo. Right hex bolt looks slightly rounded off?

Try shocking the hex bolts loose with a sharp blow on the end of the hex key or preferably on the end of a socket wrench fitted with a 5mm hex key socket

If they won't undo you will have to drill the bolt heads out.

once the bolts are out or the head drilled off, screw in a long bolt (40mm minimum) in the shower screen bolt hole and it will lift the dispersion plate out.

If the gasket is solid then, I usually soak the group in Puly, then after an hour soak, force in a screw in the gasket and it will normally pull out using pliers on the screw.
Thanks @rattyI think I was resigned to the drill but thought I'd ask anyway

I'll let you know

#4 ·
Where abouts are you based if your close enough I have a manual impact driver witch would possibly free up any solid screws and or Allen key bolts.

Or you could buy one as there pretty cheap

https://www.toolstation.com/impact-driver-bit-set/p90581?store=LR&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6Or_BRC_ARIsAPzuer-gzllhavFEV8xrrWL3iWc7z2LlhwkPZ27HqgsH6JjmPY6Dt3dADUIaAkuFEALw_wcB

Just need to have the driver bit you need they take normal driver bits just a bit of a hit with a hammer. They do work amazingly well on hard fasteners

#6 ·
That right one does look a tad "rounded".....a "torx" bit; preferably one that needs "tapping" in to make it fit....this combined with said Impact driver and a persuader and 🙏

Failing that then yes...drill the head off.

Best of luck.

#7 ·
You can also buy a set of stud/bolt removal tools, basically they come with the correct size drill bit for the corrosponding removal bit witch is used in a drill on the reverse setting after you have drilled enough of the bolt out. And as long as its not a dirt cheap set you shouldn't have any problems.

But as said before the best thing my well be to find a torks bit rather then a Allen bit and tap a really tight fitting bit in and use that possibly along with some heat or after being in the freezer over night

#9 ·
Unlike yours, most of the corrosion problems are with the boiler to group head bolts.

I was wondering if an impact driver would fit in the space available for attempting to undo these bolts or could you buy a 90mm length hex key or torx bit to fit in the impact driver for the clearance at the side of the boiler?

#10 ·
Unlike yours, most of the corrosion problems are with the boiler to group head bolts.

I was wondering if an impact driver would fit in the space available for attempting to undo these bolts or could you buy a 90mm length hex key or torx bit to fit in the impact driver for the clearance at the side of the boiler?
I'll let you know when mine arrives but they all seem to be quite chunky I guess to give maximum torque when belted and I wonder if extending will reduce the "impact"

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for all of the advice and we have success

Bought an impact driver and an adaptor for 1/4 socket to 1/4 hex

Both bolts came out with the adaptor and socket although I needed to sacrifice an oversize torx bit as advised by @Sam_d& @MartinB for one of them

Then used the Big screw trick to force it out

Thanks all - Now I can get on with cleaning it up!

Wood Metal Serveware Artifact Gun barrel

Attachments

#14 ·
Thanks for all of the advice and we have success

Bought an impact driver and an adaptor for 1/4 socket to 1/4 hex

Both bolts came out with the adaptor and socket although I needed to sacrifice an oversize torx bit as advised by @Sam_d& @MartinB for one of them

Then used the Big screw trick to force it out

Thanks all - Now I can get on with cleaning it up!

View attachment 51303
I'm glad to hear it all worked out mate 😁👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.