IGNORED

Never descaled - rarely cleaned - am I bad?

I have had my Pro600 for over a year, used three times a day since lockdown began. I have done a few backflushes. Removed the screen from the group head and cleaned maybe 5 times. Never descaled. Always used bottled water. 

is there more I should do? Should I descale? My steam valve has a slight weep now. I have re greased that. Otherwise nothing taken apart or played with. All seems fine. I did remove the water level sensor in the steam boiler for another reason and while it had a light clean, it and the boiler internals looked good. 

just wondering.. 

For how many days do you use the same cup with only a quick rinse with water?

• Like 2

Nothing here...

1 minute ago, DavecUK said:

For how many days do you use the same cup with only a quick rinse with water?

Is that a rhetorical question? My assumption was that one can fiddle too much with a machine, and using bottle water I shouldn’t have much like scale issues. The grungiest part is the group head screen and quickly cleaned. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, M5Sime said:

Is that a rhetorical question? My assumption was that one can fiddle too much with a machine, and using bottle water I shouldn’t have much like scale issues. The grungiest part is the group head screen and quickly cleaned. 

Depends on what the water is. 

The service boiler will need maintenance in the form of periodic flushing regardless of what bottled water you're using (assuming you've been steaming milk).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, M5Sime said:

I have had my Pro600 for over a year, used three times a day since lockdown began. I have done a few backflushes. Removed the screen from the group head and cleaned maybe 5 times. Never descaled. Always used bottled water. 

Cleaning and descaling are two different things. If you use non-scaling water you shouldn't need to de-scale, so it depends on which bottled water you used (they are not all the same, and some are very hard and will scale badly). 

As for cleaning, it's a personal thing that only you can answer. You said you cleaned the shower screen 5 times in a year, so less than once in two months. When you took the shower screen off, I assume you saw what it looks like. Personally I clean mine almost every day - it takes seconds to do, and I don't want the dirt left there in my next cup (I think this is what @DavecUK meant when he asked how many days you drink from a dirty cup rinsed with just water, but the shower screed is even worse because the dirt is trapped in there). If you don't mind it, or don't feel it affects the coffee, or the effort is too much - it's up to you. For me cleaning the shower screen once in two month or more is far from enough.

As for backflushing, do you mean a chemical or just water backflush? I backflush mine with water after the last shot every day (again, only takes seconds to do). I think it is common to do a chemical backflush less often with E61's, because you need to lube the cam afterwards (so maybe once in two months is fine, though I prefer to do it a bit more often).  

Edited by Doram
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Doram said:

Cleaning and descaling are two different things. If you use non-scaling water you shouldn't need to de-scale, so it depends on which bottled water you used (they are not all the same, and some are very hard and will scale badly). 

As for cleaning, it's a personal thing that only you can answer. You said you cleaned the shower screen 5 times in a year, so less than once in two months. When you took the shower screen off, I assume you saw what it looks like. Personally I clean mine almost every day - it takes seconds to do, and I don't want the dirt left there in my next cup (I think this is what @DavecUK meant when he asked how many days you drink from a dirty cup rinsed with just water, but the shower screed is even worse because the dirt is trapped in there). If you don't mind it, or don't feel it affects the coffee, or the effort is too much - it's up to you. For me cleaning the shower screen once in two month or more is far from enough.

As for backflushing, do you mean a chemical or just water backflush? I backflush mine with water after the last shot every day (again, only takes seconds to do). I think it is common to do a chemical backflush less often with E61's, because you need to lube the cam afterwards (so maybe once in two months is fine, though I prefer to do it a bit more often).  

That’s spot on.

If you’re unsure about the water you’re using and if it is causing scale, just take out the mushroom valve and take a look.

Edited by B-Roadie
Typo
  • Like 1

Breaking news! I have cleaned my machine and perhaps have noticed some small gains in crema. All of my coffees are milk-based. The report:

1. Removed shower screen. It had a reasonable coating of black residue, easily wiped. Similar for the grouphead distribution plug.
  2. Removed Mushroom valve, spring and first valve in the group head above the cam. Very minor limescale. Soaked and cleaned in de-scaler and then re-assembled.
  3. Then backflush around 12 times using Cafiza cleaning powder.. I got some 'brown water' and clear quite quickly.
  4. Flushed a tank full of water through the machine.
  5. Took the plastic pipe from the steam wand and cleaned that and the dual hole tip (both were clean anyway)

I have not taken the cam lever out (lube on order to do that), or the exhaust section of the E61 GH. My steam valve has a slight weep (not sure what to do about that). In general. While cleanliness is next to godliness and we all have a range of these things from hobo to OCD, I was not too shocked by mine, it was mostly 'almost new' with the exception of the shower screen.

Bought some Grinder cleaning 'pellets' also to try next

Cheers

• Like 1

Grinder cleaning products... it depends on the grinder in use. If it's something like a Mazzer, my Compak K6, or similar grinders with half a mile of adjustment thread, then yes, well worth it, or at least far FAR better than nothing. For a Eureka or other grinders you can clean without losing your settings, pop the top off and do it right.

Edited by allikat
  • Like 1