IGNORED

Gaggia cubika spare parts

Hi there. I inherited a gaggia cubika machinewhich is a good few years old. It's a beautiful machineand appears to be in good working order but doesnt produce much crema at all. I have used the finest grind my grinder will produce which improves it a bit but it's really not good at all. It's possible the filter is damaged/ worn out. I have looked online and it appears replacement portafilters or filter baskets are discontinued for the cubika. So long story short my question is: is there something I may be overlooking in terms not getting crema from the machine? Or alternatively are any other models of gaggia portafilter/ filter baskets compatible with the cubika. Many thanks in advance for any help. I'd love to get the machine back up and running. C 

Having a quick Google, your grinder might not give you fine enough grounds. What coffee are you using? Some coffees don't produce much crema, but generally the fresher the coffee the more crema you'll get 

Would be useful to know weight of coffee ground, weight of espresso and time it took to pull your shot... (brew ratio and time) 

Edited by Gav86

What basket are you using single or double wall (pressurised?) what beans/roast? 

lots of variables to consider but a good clean (remove screen )and descale/flush is always a good idea with an older machine (strip and service even better)

https://www.mrbean2cup.co.uk/spare-parts/Gaggia/gaggia-cubika

Edited by HDAV

Hi there. Thanks for your input. So I've descaled (with vinegar water mix) and cleaned portafilter and removed and cleaned shower screen (was pretty gross & almost completely clogged). But still v weak crema. It only came with what appears to be a single wall 2 cup basket. If this is not completely filled will that give weak crema? 

On beans I'm just using packages lavazza beans at the moment. I'll try fresher beans when I can get hands on them. I dont weigh the coffee but the shot seems to be coming out quite quickly in comparison to previous machine. 

My inclination is to buy replacement shower screen and single cup basket filter an see how that goes? 

Edited by Cian d

eBay generally has baskets is the Cubika a standard portafilter? Double wall basket isnt ideal for freshly roasted and ground beans but is for stale pre ground coffee also dose and tamp has an impact try a finer grind and weigh the dose and output 

seems the normal gaggia baskets fit https://www.mrbean2cup.co.uk/gaggia-2-cup-filter-basket

Edited by HDAV

The Molino grinder is the biggest issue here. It is in NO WAY good enough for a real espresso machines. Too many people who leave reviews seem to think their low end Delonghi machine is a real espresso machine. The Mellita can grind plenty fine enough for a double wall pressurised basket appliance, but it simply cannot do it fine enough for a single wall unpressurised espresso.

Your easiest, and cheapest fix is to get the double walled basket for your cubika and live with espresso-like drinks for a while until the budget is available for a really good grinder.

Hi allikat thanks for that. I guess I can test that out by getting a good local coffee shop to make me a fine espresso grind and see if this improves the situation - at least then ill know if its the coffee im putting in or the machine that's the issue.

If it is the grinder, do you have any recommendations for a quality grinder - mid range type

Thanks again     

• Like 1

Bargain basement options that are ok : Lelit Fred, Iberital MC2 and other 38-40mm conical burr machines, these come in around £150 or so. They will do for now, and can do an espresso grind reliably, but you may well find them limited when you get experience.

Better options (but it costs more): Eureka Mignon Facile/Manuale, Mignon Specialita, Compak K3 touch, Rocket Faustino, Niche Zero. These and many others start at around £250 and go to around £500 or so.