IGNORED

VAT and import duty on Niche sale to EU customers after Brexit?

• Doram changed the title to VAT and import duty on Niche sale to EU customers after Brexit?

Oohhhh gutted

The loverly hmrc will take about 22% ish of total landed weight 

So if it costs 500 plus 20 post you pay it on the 520. Inc handling fee 

• Sad 1

Way too early for this sh...

3 minutes ago, Cuprajake said:

My understanding is that this is about sales to EU countries, not to the UK (so not HMRC in this case, but if it's true, then I guess there will be UK VAT on imports from EU?). (Or is you mean to be cynical, I am not sure?).

Sorry i did read it as coming in, as i thought they were made abroad. 

Ive bought ice hockey gear from the us for yrs and they really whack you 

Way too early for this sh...

1 minute ago, itguy said:

Panic over for UK customers - just got this back from them...

Yea, this was never about UK customers re Niche.

However, if true, then it would probably mean VAT and import duty for imports into the UK from the EU, which I thought the Brexit deal sought to avoid?

Just now, Doram said:

Yea, this was never about UK customers re Niche.

However, if true, then it would probably mean VAT and import duty for imports into the UK from the EU, which I thought the Brexit deal sought to avoid?

Yes that’s what I’d have thought too. All new for everyone I suppose

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, itguy said:

Yes that’s what I’d have thought too. All new for everyone I suppose

They did say in their message that it "remains very unclear". Thought by now these things should have been clear. Shows what I know...

Edited by Doram
  • Like 1

i know it's how these things work, but i always thought it was always a real kick in the teeth that they charge you the customs duty, then charge you VAT on the customs duty to boot.  not entirely sure what 'value' the customs duty was 'adds', from my point of view at least.

If they bring the manufacturing back to the UK they'll be able to sell it as usual...

A bit ironic is uses burrs made in Italy that it sells back to them with VAT and duty because they're in a chassis made in Taiwan. 

I don’t see how this could  change things for the uk. These are obviously made abroad, China I think and brexit is all about selling an importing to the eu. If they import them from China to the UK then this has not changed, the issue crops up when they ship from uk to the EU. 

I don’t see how this could  change things for the uk. These are obviously made abroad, China I think and brexit is all about selling an importing to the eu. If they import them from China to the UK then this has not changed, the issue crops up when they ship from uk to the EU. 
I think the thread is about the EU customers, obviously nothing will change for the UK customers. I know people in Spain who bought it in December and now they are not sure whether will have to pay an extra price due to customs etc. It's a bit frustrating to think that you paid 600€ and now you may have a little surprise, and not a nice one...
On 12/01/2021 at 08:47, Nightrider_1uk said:

Don't think that import duties would apply to anything brought from the EU, but VAT would now be payable IMHO as things from the EU are no longer Duty Free. Same would apply if exporting to the EU i suppose

My understanding is VAT is now paid to the origin country (shipping country) and it is duty free. This is the same as it was before for consumers but I believe the EU has a standard minimum VAT rate that we are no longer a part of so in the future our VAT could differ significantly. To avoid import duty and VAT it has to be manufactured in the EU for sales to the UK or in the UK for sales to the EU. The Niche is manufactured in Taiwan and so it can't be sold under the free trade deal into the EU, so buyers in the EU will have to pay import duty and VAT that their country adds just as they would for an import direct from Taiwan or another country that doesn't have a trade deal with the EU.

Edited by Rob1
On 08/01/2021 at 21:46, Cuprajake said:

Oohhhh gutted

22% is 110! > 610. Then for UE buyers 610 another 22% > 744.  

The worrying thing for me is that today, on the 19th day following the UK taking back control of its borders and sovereignty it appears that there is no definitive source of government information we can turn to which answers all of these questions.

I’m seriously considering buying a Cafelat Robot from Germany but have no idea how this is going to work as far as vat is concerned and the German retailer’s website isn’t currently set up to provide a post Brexit answer to the question, presumably because they are as baffled as we are.

21 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 09.37.59.png

They are Irish, not German 🙂 

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

10 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

They are Irish, not German 🙂 

I did not say they were German........LOL I was showing that an EU member exporting to the UK is removing the VAT element at the checkout!

The advantage of being a Silver member....

2 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

I did not say they were German........LOL I was showing that an EU member exporting to the UK is removing the VAT element at the checkout!

Yeah. I understand. Although the Irish are relatively speaking "special" and are more intertwined with the UK system in a way. It's only natural to me that Ireland will be ahead of the game in comparison to other countries, as they speak the same language to start with. 🙂 

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

10 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Yeah. I understand. Although the Irish are relatively speaking "special" and are more intertwined with the UK system in a way. It's only natural to me that Ireland will be ahead of the game in comparison to other countries, as they speak the same language to start with. 🙂 

Point being they are in Southern Ireland therefore governed by EU rules matey

The advantage of being a Silver member....

10 minutes ago, dfk41 said:

Point being they are in Southern Ireland therefore governed by EU rules matey

I know, I know. We are all on the same page, we are just making different points over the same thing.