IGNORED

Suffolk Newbie

Hi folks,

I’ve been researching coffee machines as I am keen to upgrade on my (it’s probably a dirty word) Nespresso!!! Apologies for the bad language 😂😂😂

I used to own a nice Dualit machine then went for convenience and now looking to get serious!!! 

Hi mate

I had a great set up..nice Gagia/Mazzer grinder, we downsized house wise and didn't have room, so i bought a  N--------O machine!!

I'm a snob and simply WILL NOT drink instant coffee so the N....O was a stop gap, here I am 3 yrs on...still not got my ideal set up but gone back to a cheap grind/espresso machine and after just 5 cups the difference is night and day, so roll on the lottery win tonight to but EVERYTHING I want!!

Good luck with getting approval from the "Chancellor" I always find, with any "necessary" gadget purchase they are the real issue!!

Cheers

Vinny

11 minutes ago, VinnyMarsden said:

Hi mate

I had a great set up..nice Gagia/Mazzer grinder, we downsized house wise and didn't have room, so i bought a  N--------O machine!!

I'm a snob and simply WILL NOT drink instant coffee so the N....O was a stop gap, here I am 3 yrs on...still not got my ideal set up but gone back to a cheap grind/espresso machine and after just 5 cups the difference is night and day, so roll on the lottery win tonight to but EVERYTHING I want!!

Good luck with getting approval from the "Chancellor" I always find, with any "necessary" gadget purchase they are the real issue!!

Cheers

Vinny

Cheers. The Chancellor is on board. However I started thinking of an Appartamento. Then on mozzafiato. Then heard about issues with Rocket deliveries and damage. Looking at ECMs mechanika or the Technika. Still getting drawn back to Rocket though. Then I need to think of V or R 😂😂

I personally don’t think there is anything wrong with nespresso for a convenient cup. Does it compare to a decent double shot pulled on an E61 (correctly), no, but it serves a purpose.

We have a Sage Creatista Plus which is ok, however I wanted a decent coffee machine back again and so have recently got a MaraX and Specialita, which will soon be a Niche Zero. 

What kind of machine and grinder are you thinking about?

8 minutes ago, itguy said:

I personally don’t think there is anything wrong with nespresso for a convenient cup. Does it compare to a decent double shot pulled on an E61 (correctly), no, but it serves a purpose.

We have a Sage Creatista Plus which is ok, however I wanted a decent coffee machine back again and so have recently got a MaraX and Specialita, which will soon be a Niche Zero. 

What kind of machine and grinder are you thinking about?

It’s a toss up between Rocket Mozzafiato or the ECM Mechanika/ Technika. 
Grinder was going for a Eureka Specialita 

Great choices, the rocket and ECM machines are stunning. I’m still a sucker for the big ‘R’ on the steam wand... 

I have been very impressed with the Specialita, especially given the price of it. Very reliable and easy to convert to single dosing. Good flavours in the cup too.

33 minutes ago, itguy said:

Great choices, the rocket and ECM machines are stunning. I’m still a sucker for the big ‘R’ on the steam wand... 

I have been very impressed with the Specialita, especially given the price of it. Very reliable and easy to convert to single dosing. Good flavours in the cup too.

Thank you. Do you have a specialita? 

Hello...

I have heard a few issues regarding damaged Rocket machines upon delivery. Something to do with the welding on the front of the machines being a weak spot (information provided by BB).

Regarding your options, it all depends on your budget and what you want from your machine really.

- Are you an espresso drinker, a long-black, or do you like milk based drinks too.

- Relating to the above, will help determine what boiler you should aim for and the size of that steam boiler (if you are keen on good steam performance)

- Are you concerned about having a lot of control over the temperature of your espresso shots?

I know a lot of folk who have a Rocket and are very brand loyal to them, but I also know folk who use ECM machines and wouldn't pay the extra for the likes of a La Marzocco mini even if they had the cash.

Another point to consider, is your grinder choice (I know you mentioned the Eureka S). Crazy important when dealing with prosumer level machines, as this will really enable you to take your espresso extraction quality those few levels higher. If you are a keen espresso drinker, or typically black coffees, then adjusting your budget ratio to enable you to purchase an even better grinder, is more important than heading for a dual boiler machine and absorbing a greater amount of your budget that way.

If you are torn between the Rocket Cronometro Mozzafiato, the ECM Technika or Mechanika. It is worth noting that the Mechanika does not come with a PID, which enables you to control the temperature of your steam boiler (thus having an impact/relationship on the temperature of your brew boiler, allowing for a greater degree of accuracy over the temperature of your espresso). The Rocket CM and the new ECM Technika V PID, do come with PIDs, so then it would be almost a personal preference at this point.

Average prices:

Rocket CM R (rotary pump, which is the same as the Technika for comparison sake): £1,800

ECM Technika: £1,790

Practically identical in price, but if you didn't care for the Rotary pump, and opted for a V pump instead for the Rocket, then you would be looking to save around £250.

In my own personal opinion, I think it is hard to compete with the build quality of an ECM, and if at a similar price point for a very similar spec, it would make the decision a whole lot easier for me.

J

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/01/2021 at 12:52, jamielee said:

Hello...

I have heard a few issues regarding damaged Rocket machines upon delivery. Something to do with the welding on the front of the machines being a weak spot (information provided by BB).

Regarding your options, it all depends on your budget and what you want from your machine really.

- Are you an espresso drinker, a long-black, or do you like milk based drinks too.

- Relating to the above, will help determine what boiler you should aim for and the size of that steam boiler (if you are keen on good steam performance)

- Are you concerned about having a lot of control over the temperature of your espresso shots?

I know a lot of folk who have a Rocket and are very brand loyal to them, but I also know folk who use ECM machines and wouldn't pay the extra for the likes of a La Marzocco mini even if they had the cash.

Another point to consider, is your grinder choice (I know you mentioned the Eureka S). Crazy important when dealing with prosumer level machines, as this will really enable you to take your espresso extraction quality those few levels higher. If you are a keen espresso drinker, or typically black coffees, then adjusting your budget ratio to enable you to purchase an even better grinder, is more important than heading for a dual boiler machine and absorbing a greater amount of your budget that way.

If you are torn between the Rocket Cronometro Mozzafiato, the ECM Technika or Mechanika. It is worth noting that the Mechanika does not come with a PID, which enables you to control the temperature of your steam boiler (thus having an impact/relationship on the temperature of your brew boiler, allowing for a greater degree of accuracy over the temperature of your espresso). The Rocket CM and the new ECM Technika V PID, do come with PIDs, so then it would be almost a personal preference at this point.

Average prices:

Rocket CM R (rotary pump, which is the same as the Technika for comparison sake): £1,800

ECM Technika: £1,790

Practically identical in price, but if you didn't care for the Rotary pump, and opted for a V pump instead for the Rocket, then you would be looking to save around £250.

In my own personal opinion, I think it is hard to compete with the build quality of an ECM, and if at a similar price point for a very similar spec, it would make the decision a whole lot easier for me.

J

Interesting thoughts. What would be the grinder you’d recommend if not the Specialita, as in which one is the next level up? 

And when/why would you recommend Synchronika over Technika (or not)?

13 hours ago, Raffael said:

Interesting thoughts. What would be the grinder you’d recommend if not the Specialita, as in which one is the next level up? 

And when/why would you recommend Synchronika over Technika (or not)?

Specialita is still a great grinder, especially around that price point. However, if you are wanting a step-up in terms of a similar function (flat burrs, on-demand), the Eureka Atom 65 is where I would (have) invest.

Literally depends what you want for your set-up, and ultimately, what is your budget.

The same logic applies to the choice of ECM machines. Essentially, do you really need a dual-boiler machine for your set-up, or would a PID controlled HX machine get you the espressos that you will be more than happy with?

I have an Atom 65 Specialty and ECM Technika V Profi PID. Is it the perfect set-up....? No... but for the budget I had, and my requirements/needs/standards, it absolutely kills it. Given £2,500 again, I would buy the exact same.

• Like 1