IGNORED

Synchronika Steam Joystick not locking open

I use the steam joystick once a day, and I had the machine for a few months. Now the steam joystick doesn't stay open depending on the position.

This video shows what I mean. Has the ball joint already worn out???? I checked and it's not the plastic end hitting the base of the valve

https://youtu.be/VW3ZhtPWPto

Edited by Carlo

I have the exact same issue on the steam side valve. It’s never been quite as plush as the water side but is improved with lubrication. Plastic does contact on mine, only on that side, very annoying. However with the handle removed completely it still doesn’t lock consistently. 

• Like 1

Same issue here, bought Synchronika in June and joysticks have had this issue since new. Contacted ECM but they showed no interest, telling me to contact supplier. 
Bella Barista are now hopefully sourcing suspected parts. Not impressed so far with ECM quality control as machine also arrived without braided hose for plumbing in. Thankfully BB supplied.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Update..... New valve parts arrived this morning from Bella Barista. Within 5minutes the joystick lever is working as it is meant to. Couldn’t see any difference between old and new parts. ECM themselves were no help at all in solving this issue. Hot water valve has the same issue so still to get the parts for that.

• Like 1

Annoyingly, the reputation of ECM and Profitec is that they are superb build quality and engineering. From what I’ve been reading recently, maybe this is no longer the case? 

Edited by MediumRoastSteam
  • Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

On 13/02/2021 at 14:04, Sophiedog said:

Update..... New valve parts arrived this morning from Bella Barista. Within 5minutes the joystick lever is working as it is meant to. Couldn’t see any difference between old and new parts. ECM themselves were no help at all in solving this issue. Hot water valve has the same issue so still to get the parts for that.

So you didn't notice any significant wear in the old part?

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking to possibly buy this largely based on perceived build quality.

I guess if BB resolved it for you then it's all good.

Doesn't fill prospective buyers with confidence though.

Hope you don't have any more issues.

To be fair to ECM, sorting out warranty issues is the responsibility of the retailer. It’s how BB (and every other retailer) earn their profit margin. 

Coffee. Because sarcastic humour is wrong. 

True. But to be fair it shouldn't have gone faulty in the first place. At least it was within the warranty period.

I'm beginning to wonder if anything is made properly these days!

I'm struggling to pick a machine at the moment to be honest.

Sure I want to make great coffee but coming from an engineering background and appreciating good design, styling and build quality come high up the list for me.

I'm not saying I won't buy one...but it does make you think....

I love their design aesthetic but when it was time to make a purchase one of the things that put me off was that the chassis was painted plain steel. You would think that at the prices ECM charge, a stainless steel chassis would be a no brainier. 

Coffee. Because sarcastic humour is wrong. 

Yes but most of the internals are pretty standard, and shared by most high end machines. For me what made me go for the Synchronika was the stainless boiler, the rotary pump and the dual boiler. Also the boilers are insulated. The internals are pretty neat as well. You know, if you buy a Mercedes it doesn't automatically mean that it will be trouble free. The Syncjronika is a great machine, the temp measured at the head is pretty consistent and in line with the PID. I really can't fault it, apart from the problem with the steam valve.