IGNORED

Ecm Synchronika brew pressure

Hi guys 

I have an ecm synchronika bought it a week a go and I have noticed that when I pull up the lever to brew my espresso the pressure stays at 6 bar for some time then it proceed to 9 bar. 
I have emailed BB in this regards and they told me this is normal with ecm synchronika but It doesn’t convince me at all so thought of writing to you since you guys are using same machine.

24 minutes ago, Mc2me said:

Hi guys 

I have an ecm synchronika bought it a week a go and I have noticed that when I pull up the lever to brew my espresso the pressure stays at 6 bar for some time then it proceed to 9 bar. 
I have emailed BB in this regards and they told me this is normal with ecm synchronika but It doesn’t convince me at all so thought of writing to you since you guys are using same machine.

Hi, welcome to the forum. A video of the issue you are describing would help diagnosing anything much easier.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Just now, MediumRoastSteam said:

Hi, welcome to the forum. A video of the issue you are describing would help diagnosing anything much easier.

Thanks, I am working on it soon I will upload a video 

29 minutes ago, Mc2me said:

Hi guys 

https://youtube.com/shorts/sN__x4zPI8o
here is a video explaining the issue 

6 minutes ago, Mc2me said:

https://youtube.com/shorts/sN__x4zPI8o
here is a video explaining the issue 

Ok... can you do the same with:

- the blind basket:
- with no portafilter in the group. 

thanks.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

7 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Ok... can you do the same with:

- the blind basket:
- with no portafilter in the group. 

thanks.

Here is a video with blind filter, I have done back flush several time but the pressure still stays at 6 bar initially before it moves to 9 bar.

https://youtube.com/shorts/fG6x8Qncs4c

Without using the portafilter, the pressure remains at 6 bar

2 minutes ago, Mc2me said:

Here is a video with blind filter, I have done back flush several time but the pressure still stays at 6 bar initially before it moves to 9 bar.

https://youtube.com/shorts/fG6x8Qncs4c

Without using the portafilter, the pressure remains at 6 bar

@DavecUK ^^^^ - any ideas? My knowledge ends here. 😉 - I don’t understand how the pump bypass can be set to 6 bar and then the pressure build up to 9 bar. Gap in my knowledge for sure. 

2 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

@DavecUK ^^^^ - any ideas? My knowledge ends here. 😉 - I don’t understand how the pump bypass can be set to 6 bar and then the pressure build up to 9 bar. Gap in my knowledge for sure. 

Thank you anyway 🌹

I can't offer up any possible causes only to say that the pump and strange creaking noise is very different to my Synchronika

I think my machine initially hits 8 bar then rises to 10 when brewing or backflushing

42 minutes ago, PartySausage said:

I can't offer up any possible causes only to say that the pump and strange creaking noise is very different to my Synchronika

I think my machine initially hits 8 bar then rises to 10 when brewing or backflushing

Creaking noises can be due to the springs / valves in the group not being lubricated. If you could confirm what your does, that would be great. The dial should show around 9 bar or so, and go up by maybe 0.5bar when backflushing.

@Mc2me I don't want to write war and peace on this, so someone will explain if you don't understand.

Explanation is my best guess based on everything else being fine...

Machines change all the time and manufacturers do minor upgrades, so yours may not work the same as someone elses. they're techniques, coffee, portafilter fill level etc.. may also be different.

i think the gicleur size, pressure take of point and pump output (flow rate), and preinfusion chamber, all contribute to the 6 bar being shown whilst the head space above the puck fills and the preinfusion chamber opens (around 4 bar). The pressure in the system you see is the pressure against the Gicleur based on size and flow rate and the reason why without a portafilter you see 6 bar. Once the system fills, then of course the pressure rises to whatever the pumps balanced bypass is set to.

I believe everything is good with your machine.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing here...

@DavecUK thank you very much that was really helpful.

I might not really fully understand the technical explanation but I got the point of the gicleur size and the process of filling preinfusion chamber.

In addition I wrote to ECM technical support and I will share their views once I received it. 

• Like 2

I agree with Dave. Machine change, and the only reason I can think is that they’ve changed where they measure the pressure if compared to earlier versions. On rotary pump machines I had, the gauge always measure at the head of the pump, to the point that, no matter what, the pressure was always 9 bar or thereabouts, with or without the portafilter in place. Would be great to know what ECM says. 

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Akula said:

I just tried mine there and mine went round to 9 bars , it never stopped at 6 bar

Interesting

Sorry but for how longe you own it? 

17 minutes ago, Akula said:

Its nearly 2 years old 

I see , mine is still new and it could be as Dave said a newer version may have a different points for pressure measurement.

I really appreciate your comment it is always good to know other user experience 

Mine goes straight to just under 9 bar and then increases slightly on the gauge once you hear the change in tone as the pressure rises. Mine is currently peaking at about 9.4, it has crept a little as I am sure it was 9 bar bang on before. Need to make an adjustment. 

8 hours ago, B-Roadie said:

Mine goes straight to just under 9 bar and then increases slightly on the gauge once you hear the change in tone as the pressure rises. Mine is currently peaking at about 9.4, it has crept a little as I am sure it was 9 bar bang on before. Need to make an adjustment. 

mine was slightly above 10 bar before I have adjusted to 9 bar, you can readjust the pump pressure from the screw underneath the machine but if you are not sure on how to do it, it is better to ask the dealer.

thanks for sharing this