IGNORED

LSOL January - Django Coffee [Southport]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just swapping WhatsApp messages with Stephen from Django, our 87.5 score exclusive coffee is being roasted ready for dispatch tomorrow...

Well, 2021 has come and therefore we need a new coffee. After many trials and tribulations (see announcement thread) we have one sorted and it will be another exclusive for us and from the excellent r

Have a look inside the brown bag 

Posted Images

Bagception. I have to admit that the plain brown bag had me stumped for a couple of minutes as well. I thiught it was just super simplistic packaging

Londinium L1 | Caedo E92 | Aeropress | V60 | Chemex 

Tucking in this morning and tasting good so far but no where near dialed in & properly rested.  Looking forward to what its like when spot on! - thanks all

Had a couple of v60 this morning and it’s bursting with punchy flavours. No doubt needs time to rest a little and I need to grind tighter as my brew time is too fast at the moment it seems 2.26 (inc 30sec bloom) for 266g
  • Like 1

Tried this in the December dripper just now, couldn't resist!

16:260, 42 on the Niche. 45 second bloom (closed off, opened to setting 3 after 30 secs). First pour up to 155g. Second pour at 1:45 up to 260g. Total time about 3:40.

Tastes pretty wild. Really not sure about tasting notes, and I don't think I nailed it... 

I'll try again after a few more days rest, but this first cup tasted similar to the beans I had from Django's insight range a few months back... I think it was a funky macerated natural from Honduras. 

• Like 1

Had to crack these open a little earlier than I'd like... Needs must and all that!

Could probably do with a bit more rest but after one V60 my first thoughts are that it minds me of a coffee I had from Cartwheel coffee a couple of years back called Jesus Lemus Leon organic, a 72hr macarated process Honduran. This is a bit less pokey so maybe a 48 hour macaration on this one...?? 😁

I'll come back with a better guess in a couple of days after a few more. 

I'll be interested to see what people think on this one, I remember the Jesus Lemus divided the crowd!! 😆

Thanks again to @Hairy_Hogg
and @Daren
for coming up with the goods after what sounded like a bit of a mission.

Hope all is well with everyone. 😊

• Like 3
Had to crack these open a little earlier than I'd like... Needs must and all that!
Could probably do with a bit more rest but after one V60 my first thoughts are that it minds me of a coffee I had from Cartwheel coffee a couple of years back called Jesus Lemus Leon organic, a 72hr macarated process Honduran. This is a bit less pokey so maybe a 48 hour macaration on this one...??
I'll come back with a better guess in a couple of days after a few more. 
I'll be interested to see what people think on this one, I remember the Jesus Lemus divided the crowd!!
Thanks again to @Hairy_Hogg
and @Daren
for coming up with the goods after what sounded like a bit of a mission.
Hope all is well with everyone.

I am finding I am having to grind tighter on this compared to the dark arts coffee I had been drinking. How about you?
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, Rdl81 said:

I am finding I am having to grind tighter on this compared to the dark arts coffee I had been drinking. How about you?

Just had the one so far, ran quite fast at 2:2 on the feld, around 2.15. (2:2 typically runs about 2.30/40 for me with the method I used)

So yes would need to tighten it to get my typical time but saying that it didn't taste under extracted... I'll try tomorrow with a tighter grind and see what that brings!

• Like 1

Finally gave into a V60 and wow!!!

15g coffee - 250g coffee drained in 3.35mins using a steady pour every 29secs.

I have absolutely no idea how to place the origin buy all I can say is WOW I can't wait to find the sweet spot on these beans

• Like 1

This certainly has some funk to it doesn't it!? I'm liking it very much. No idea what it could be but the few suggestions of macerated Honduras are interesting if so. 

I opened this morning and brewed in an aeropress so probably more forgiving on the grind size which sounds like it's pouring quicker than expected. 

Very bold, punchy and aromatic. Works well as a milk drink (this is all I've tried so far). 

• Like 1

Definitely very funky. Also requires a very fine grind too. 🙂 

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Yep. Grind fine and brew hot is what I'm finding works! 

One attempt the other day ran a bit quick and I got a funky almost salty flavour from it... Really weird!

Finding that a fine grind, water straight off the boil and a brew time in the range of 3:45-4:00 in the December is doing the trick nicely. Delicious brews now! 

Tried a aeropress this morning and still a long way to go to get it right, interesting that others are finding a tighter grind is better so will play with the grinder settings and see what the morning's brew brings.