IGNORED

Mara x steam issue

5 minutes ago, MonkeyHarris said:

Ok found the problem...this washer has come off and is a bit mangled ☹️

image.thumb.jpeg.a5ffb6bf221f480ad8a1604d8b6aa3a9.jpeg

Guess they did take it off and didn’t refit correctly..  😩

I’ve tried to flatten it but keeps slipping so will have to speak to them about getting another one. 

Anyone know if there is supposed to be a gap between the washer and the brass collar?

You couldn’t write this script... 😞

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm actually investigating myself. I have the current program logic from Lelit. My MaraX is back in service. At the moment I have installed prototype software onto it with completely different functio

Finally, all tidy and ready for the morning now...  

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Could you do a photo with the whole assembly, knob valve, the knob removed if it's now loose, is there a thread inside that domed thing.

This is a photo of the hot water wand

image.thumb.jpeg.d46030affd230f8201dcc8c933833d99.jpeg

this is of the now bodged steam wand

image.thumb.jpeg.7d9c695750b82cf194725b91684f385e.jpeg

there’s clearly a gap so I’m wondering if that is supposed to be there and why it got bent and came off in the first place.

Oh for goodness sake.. that is terrible, but an easy fix all the same with the right new parts. In some ways this must be preferable to an electronic fault again of some description. Arrrgghhh!!

1 hour ago, MonkeyHarris said:

there’s clearly a gap so I’m wondering if that is supposed to be there and why it got bent and came off in the first place.

In the interests of correct information for people who read this thread, and so they don't get confused. I took the trouble of making a little video. In the video I explain how the knob works.

The explanation for how the circlip can get bent is simple (and it can only really get bent one way outwards). When the steam wand is opened fully, it comes to its stop, the end point. If more force than is reasonable is applied, then the circlip can be bent outwards as attempts are made to unscrew the knob further. This is the only way it can be bent like in your photo. It's not possible to do as per the photo on fitting or removal...if it is, then I would have to be shown, because I can't think of a way.

I would imagine an auto parts shop/or similar hardware type store would probably have a similar circlip...as it's a PITA to wait for such a small part and I would imagine they are not a stocked spare...perhaps they should be.

P.S. I should make the point that the valve is probably fully open at least 1/2 a turn before the valve comes up against it's stop.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing here...

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

In the interests of correct information for people who read this thread, and so they don't get confused. I took the trouble of making a little video. In the video I explain how the knob works.

The explanation for how the circlip can get bent is simple (and it can only really get bent one way outwards). When the steam wand is opened fully, it comes to its stop, the end point. If more force than is reasonable is applied, then the circlip can be bent outwards as attempts are made to unscrew the knob further. This is the only way it can be bent like in your photo. It's not possible to do as per the photo on fitting or removal...if it is, then I would have to be shown, because I can't think of a way.

I would imagine an auto parts shop/or similar hardware type store would probably have a similar circlip...as it's a PITA to wait for such a small part and I would imagine they are not a stocked spare...perhaps they should be.

P.S. I should make the point that the valve is probably fully open at least 1/2 a turn before the valve comes up against it's stop.

Thanks Dave. Makes sense.

I can assure I have treated this machine with the gentle respect of a new born baby. No excessive force applied at all. Just finger tips.

It got bent while it was out for repair. Possibly they forgot to remove it while attempting to unscrew the knob. I know they did something with the steam wand as it was limp when it came back and the nut was not even finger tip tight.

It is a huge PITA and I have temporarily swapped it over with the hot water wand until I can source the part.

2 hours ago, MonkeyHarris said:

It is a huge PITA and I have temporarily swapped it over with the hot water wand until I can source the part.

Might be an obvious point, but just in case you haven't tried - if it is bent, maybe it can be bent back (like in a vice or with pliers, or maybe even returned to the machine inside out and unscrew the knob to put pressure to try and straighten it, even as a temporary solution till you get a new one)? 

11 minutes ago, Doram said:

Might be an obvious point, but just in case you haven't tried - if it is bent, maybe it can be bent back (like in a vice or with pliers, or maybe even returned to the machine inside out and unscrew the knob to put pressure to try and straighten it, even as a temporary solution till you get a new one)? 

I did flatten it with pliers and teased back into shape as best I could by it’s a bit temperamental now so swapped with hot water tap which I can live without for a bit. 

I’ve got a link to a new one so going to try and order tomorrow ☺️

• Like 1

not guilty judge GIF

On the positive side the posts have elicited some useful information for people.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

Nothing here...

@MonkeyHarris - Not tried to order from them since Brexit but these people were great in terms of Lelit spares.

I think the Mara-x and Mara PL62 wands are the same fittings, so you can get a full replacement one with seals etc for not that much if you need one down the road.

https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/en/ricambi-rubinetti-vapore-lelit.html

Edited by Northern_Monkey
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon!

Well, I have my MaraX back in action and all seems to be functioning well thus far (sorry @MonkeyHarris 😞).  

I haven’t gone beyond making a first round of drinks yet but have experienced no pressure loss and the MaraX is acting as it always did when it worked properly.

I’m absolutely sure that my MaraX works as it states in the manual and @DavecUK’s review:

Mode 1:  Coffee Priority (X)

Mode 0: Steam Priority (HX)

In mode 1 (X), I experience a steam boost after pulling a shot which results in circa 1.5 bar steam pressure.  When left for a while, the steam pressure is idle at around 0.6 - 0.75 as expected.  

In mode 0 (HX, (set to temp II under drip tray) the steam pressure stays idle at circa 1.6.

Nothing else to add - it’s simple and unless anybody else’s machine does the opposite, there shouldn’t be any confusion 😂

P.s. thanks to BB for fixing the issue with the faulty temp sensor!

Edited by djrustycans
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, djrustycans said:

Good afternoon!

Well, I have my MaraX back in action and all seems to be functioning well thus far (sorry @MonkeyHarris 😞).  

I haven’t gone beyond making a first round of drinks yet but have experienced no pressure loss and the MaraX is acting as it always did when it worked properly.

I’m absolutely sure that my MaraX works as it states in the manual and @DavecUK’s review:

Mode 1:  Coffee Priority (X)

Mode 0: Steam Priority (HX)

In mode 1 (X), I experience a steam boost after pulling a shot which results in circa 1.5 bar steam pressure.  When left for a while, the steam pressure is idle at around 0.6 - 0.75 as expected.  

In mode 0 (HX, (set to temp II under drip tray) the steam pressure stays idle at circa 1.6.

Nothing else to add - it’s simple and unless anybody else’s machine does the opposite, there shouldn’t be any confusion 😂

P.s. thanks to BB for fixing the issue with the faulty temp sensor!

Glad it’s fixed.

Mine is working fine but for the damaged clip, which I’ve temporarily swapped with the hot water tap.

I’m using mine the same as you. Mode 1 as I notice a difference in extraction  temp when using the drip tray PID settings. 

Oddly though mine idles at 1 bar in HX and 0.6ish in X mode. Either way it seems to steam fine now.

2 down, 1 to go 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant stuff, that's good to hear that it is all sorted too. UPS dropped mine off at BB this morning at 9:20, so I am hoping to hear back from them a bit later on... I wonder if my sensor is faulty too?

Very odd that BB keep pedalling the 'reversed' HX / coffee mode switch thing... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, MonkeyHarris said:

Oddly though mine idles at 1 bar in HX and 0.6ish in X mode. Either way it seems to steam fine now.

This surely depends upon the drip tray 3 way selector?  I set mine at ‘II’ for the HX mode test to get the highest idle steam pressure.

When the 3 way selector is at ‘0’, mine probably would sit at 1 bar when idle..

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, djrustycans said:

This surely depends upon the drip tray 3 way selector?  I set mine at ‘II’ for the HX mode test to get the highest idle steam pressure.

When the 3 way selector is at ‘0’, mine probably would sit at 1 bar when idle..

Good point 😁

That’s why I need this forum’s 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, itguy said:

Very odd that BB keep pedalling the 'reversed' HX / coffee mode switch thing...

This^^^!!  I can only comment on mine - maybe Lelit made lots of machines with this  reversed.  Mine came back in mode ‘0’ also, not that it means anything.

29 minutes ago, MonkeyHarris said:

2 down, 1 to go 😁

Might be 3 down, if you count the message in the main Mara X forum from @Merchant-Seaman - not the same issue (loss of steam power, quite the opposite), but the same culprit: faulty temp sensor in a two-month old machine. 

Wonder how many more issues coming from these sensors will arise. Doesn't instill much confidence. Hopefully it's a bad batch issue and won't affect too many machines.

Edited by Doram
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, MonkeyHarris said:

Good point 😁

That’s why I need this forum’s 

FYI, my steam pressure has gone down to nearly 1 bar when I switched back to ‘0’ on the temp switch in HX mode.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Doram said:

Might be 3 down, if you count the message in the main Mara X forum from @Merchant-Seaman - not the same issue (loss of steam power, quite the opposite), but the same culprit: faulty temp sensor in a two-month old machine. 

Wonder how many more issues coming from these sensors will arise. Doesn't instill much confidence. Hopefully it's a bad batch issue and won't affect too many machines.

BB are charging these repairs to Lelit so I guess it’ll be in their best interest to get it fixed quickly.

• Like 1