IGNORED

Clever Dripper, 60s steep, 20g dose:220-230g water.

Grind 20.0g of coffee, coarser side of manual drip, 29 on Wilfa flat burr grinder in this case. 

8% smaller than 400Kruve, 8% larger than 1600Kruve.

23% smaller than 600um, 11% larger than 1180um ASTM/ISO sieves.

Boil 225g +/- 5g brew water. A kettle that can boil the full amount of brew water at minimum capacity, safely, makes life easier. Allow 4g excess for evaporation. Pour water right off boil into brewer (using oversized paper also helps prevent overflow of the filter).

Add dose & start timer...

0:00 Gently combine coffee & water at surface.

0:45 Sink crust.

1:00 Draw down.

Cup & beverage weighed 360g, minus the cup at 189g gave 171g beverage in this instance (1:8.5 to 9.0 cup ratio). Aim for a TDS between 1.30% and 1.60%. Gives a quick, tasty cup with low bitterness, if a little 'simple' in profile. The low extraction means a high dose is advised to bolster strength.

Edited by MWJB
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Just bought one of these recently. All the advice I’ve seen so far recommends a brew time of 2:30 to 3:00.

You mention a ‘simple’ profile. Would leaving the brew a little longer before draw down increase extraction and therefore result in a more complex profile?

I use the same technique as you but brew for 2:30 then draw down.

Thanks for the video...always helpful to see how someone else does it.

16 minutes ago, Tongle said:

Just bought one of these recently. All the advice I’ve seen so far recommends a brew time of 2:30 to 3:00.

You mention a ‘simple’ profile. Would leaving the brew a little longer before draw down increase extraction and therefore result in a more complex profile?

I use the same technique as you but brew for 2:30 then draw down.

Thanks for the video...always helpful to see how someone else does it.

I wouldn't focus too much on "simple", these 1min brews have been as tasty as any I have made in the Clever. It's just a higher dose to beverage ratio, so will be thicker? The longer brews I do are 20min plus (more like 35-40 for a large Clever) are a higher extraction at a lower brew ratio, so less mouth feel, a little more clarity. But I can't say any better, other than the saving in coffee.

If you are coarser than me on grind (what grinder & setting are you using) 2min might work, it has occasionally for me. But if you are finer, then you can easily drop into the bland/generic zone.

I've gone a tad coarser on my Wilfa flat, for another brew method, so am now doing about 1:30 on the Clever with all else the same as above.

The take home here is that grind size & time are interlinked. A 2:00 to 2:30 brew isn't going to be a high extraction, but might be high enough to go wrong.

I'm open to trying anything, but I haven't found any good & consistent recipes on line for the Clever.

Thanks...that's where I'm at too.

I've just followed manufacturer's instructions so far and while it's been drinkable it's not been brilliant!

I tend to grind the same as I do for Chemex but maybe a notch or 2 coarser (around 20 on my Encore).

Going to try your recipe later. I'll let you know how I get on.

You're probably aware that James Hoffman did a video of his recipe.....pretty much as per manufacturer's instructions though like you put dose in after water.

I really like the thing though...a bit easier to use at work than the Aeropress (which I also love but is a bit more of a fiddle I find).

Edited by Tongle
Spelling mistake

OK done.

300g water

20g coffee (Hasbean El Salvador Finica Las Brumas Washed SL28)

Med/course grind

Process as above = 240g drink. 

Total time = 2mins

Result:- you were spot on about reducing bitterness. It was a VERY smooth, light and sweet brew with caramel at first becoming more lemony as it cooled.

I may tinker with the grind but safe to say that was the best brew I've had out of the thing yet.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Tongle said:

It was a VERY smooth, light and sweet brew with caramel at first becoming more lemony as it cooled

Good news, but note you're using a lot less coffee (to water) than me (20:225g). This is to bolster strength at lower extraction.

Just tried my Rocko Mountain beans with this recipe.....brilliant! Though I only ended up with half a mug of drink.

Now if I wanted a full mug e.g. 300g to drink what dose of coffee and water would I use?

My crappy maths suggested 27g of coffee to 300g water but I'm not sure I calculated right.

Plus...would I need to increase brew / steep time accordingly? 

25 minutes ago, Tongle said:

Just tried my Rocko Mountain beans with this recipe.....brilliant! Though I only ended up with half a mug of drink.

Now if I wanted a full mug e.g. 300g to drink what dose of coffee and water would I use?

My crappy maths suggested 27g of coffee to 300g water but I'm not sure I calculated right.

Plus...would I need to increase brew / steep time accordingly? 

Good news!

Yes 27g to 300g would be the same ratio (I mostly drink out of 7oz cups).

You shouldn't need to change the brew time at all to get a comparable result. Draw down time might increase a little, but it's the steep time prior to draw down that is most critical, so don't worry if this is the case.