IGNORED

Newbie alert - read a lot, trying to put in to practice

On 30/03/2021 at 19:52, Tinkstar said:

It grinds really fast, but also static, it does 18g in like 3 seconds 🤣 and it's one directional out of the hole but kind of side ways but bouncies 🤷‍♂️ I need a longer funnel, or a bigger pf extension / dosing cup. 

I'm also confused because its kind of clumpy but the shots are rather fast, so going to go finer and see if its grind size or if the puck is channeling. 🤷‍♂️ 

@Tinkstar On the static - you tried spritzing a bit of water on beans before you grind them / stirring in a few drops of water? Good static hack

Gaggia Classic PID & Niche Zero

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I Want to say thank you again to this forum.   Got myself some scales 0.1g  Got my self an espresso shot glass so I can weigh as I extract. (My large mug wouldnt allow scales)  

@Emily it keeps making me want to come back!   Today's effort

Wow, I mean its not perfect but huge improvement, the drink is now really smooth, a smidge hint of bitter but only after taste. Wow    Black cat coffee 👍 feeling like I can make something go

Posted Images

1 hour ago, LMartin said:

@Tinkstar On the static - you tried spritzing a bit of water on beans before you grind them / stirring in a few drops of water? Good static hack

Other than the mess is static an actual concern? I don't mind as it's caught on the funnel 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
On 06/04/2021 at 07:49, Tinkstar said:

So here is a collection of this week's wins... having more wins than fails atm.

An excellent set of latte art @Tinkstar!

how is the new grinder getting on? Still making a mess?

4 hours ago, Emily said:

An excellent set of latte art @Tinkstar!

how is the new grinder getting on? Still making a mess?

So I bought one of those torpedo air things, and that makes more of a mess 🤣

Waiting for a back plate then I can try the octopus thing and a cup to dose, catch grinds. 

I loose about 1-2g when grinding, kind of give it a knock and it grinds the last bits. Stick a stick up and get some grinds out, almost in for out 🤷‍♂️

Not that messy now really. And it's sensitive on the grind settings hehe it's great

6 hours ago, Tinkstar said:

Waiting for a back plate then I can try the octopus thing and a cup to dose, catch grinds. 

Amazing how this coffee lark leads to one purchase after another 😂 Need a bottomless wallet. I am determined to buy nothing more other than beans lol!

6 hours ago, Tinkstar said:

Not that messy now really. And it's sensitive on the grind settings hehe it's great

That’s good! I have managed to get my coffee making mess quite minimal now. My partner did once ask why he kept finding coffee grinds EVERYWHERE! After I have done the tamping, I blow across the top of the puck and all the loose stuff goes whoosh...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Emily said:

Amazing how this coffee lark leads to one purchase after another 😂 Need a bottomless wallet. I am determined to buy nothing more other than beans lol!

That’s good! I have managed to get my coffee making mess quite minimal now. My partner did once ask why he kept finding coffee grinds EVERYWHERE! After I have done the tamping, I blow across the top of the puck and all the loose stuff goes whoosh...

I think I found out why your partner is finding coffee beans every where 💨💨💨💨💨

• Like 1

Soooo I made a lovely coffee today.

Won't be to everybody's taste but was liquice/ treacle esq. Does this mean I just burnt it, or does it mean I am getting close to dialing in? Tasted of this before and with milk 😆

11 minutes ago, Tinkstar said:

Soooo I made a lovely coffee today.

Won't be to everybody's taste but was liquice/ treacle esq. Does this mean I just burnt it, or does it mean I am getting close to dialing in? Tasted of this before and with milk 😆

If tastes good , is good .

re burning coffee , considering it’s been in a roaster prior to brewing I don’t think anything you do is gonna burn it .

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

If tastes good , is good .

re burning coffee , considering it’s been in a roaster prior to brewing I don’t think anything you do is gonna burn it .

I'm only asking in the golden chalice mission. 

I went a smidge coarser, I really liked it so wont be changing yet... but first non bitter for awhile. I know I over extract as I have gone from choking towards coarser... but this just tasted different (finally) and nice to me 😁 but I'm still hunting syrup, chocolate, Hazel tastes lol

43 minutes ago, Tinkstar said:

I'm only asking in the golden chalice mission. 

I went a smidge coarser, I really liked it so wont be changing yet... but first non bitter for awhile. I know I over extract as I have gone from choking towards coarser... but this just tasted different (finally) and nice to me 😁 but I'm still hunting syrup, chocolate, Hazel tastes lol

Some advice if I may

Bitter doesn’t equal over extraction 

if you have been pulling really short ratios then there is little chance you are over extracting 

Focus on how it tastes good/bad , not labelling it with a term for measurement that you are not measuring . 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

Some advice if I may

Bitter doesn’t equal over extraction 

if you have been pulling really short ratios then there is little chance you are over extracting 

Focus on how it tastes good/bad , not labelling it with a term for measurement that you are not measuring . 

Well, my shots all tasted bitter until this one. I am measuring through taste, in a sense I am keeping the same grams in, grams out, observing time but nothing more than that. And going coarser as I started at the choking point. So I assume over extraction (this term may be wrong) but was just a term. 

I am letting taste lead me, trying to keep all things the same, except slowly going coarse.

My art is consistently of some quality as per this picture.

Still working on tasting notes, though it's now been confirmed by a coffee drinker mine is cafe style sit down and enjoy, not a punch to the face coffee drink from instant...

I take my wins where ever I can get them. 

Did go to a local coffee shop when taking the car for its dreaded MOT, feeling confident my art was better and my coffee smoother... again an excellent win. 

IMG_20210415_114820_394.jpg

• Like 2