IGNORED

Newbie alert - read a lot, trying to put in to practice

3 hours ago, Emily said:

I’m very impressed! You’re making progress yay!! 👍

I have to admit,

I was over bubbling. 

I genuinely thought I'd made hot milk 

I re watched a video of a guy with a gaggia classic and trusted his position and advice and it just worked (didn't the 10billions cups before I thought I was doing the same) but having watched a gazillion YouTube I think the methods and blended, meaning nothing worked for my machine.

So back to gaggica classic videos. Done. Now to be consistent. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Emily it keeps making me want to come back!   Today's effort

Wow, I mean its not perfect but huge improvement, the drink is now really smooth, a smidge hint of bitter but only after taste. Wow    Black cat coffee 👍 feeling like I can make something go

I Want to say thank you again to this forum.   Got myself some scales 0.1g  Got my self an espresso shot glass so I can weigh as I extract. (My large mug wouldnt allow scales)  

Posted Images

Consistency is the thing with this though isn’t it. Suddenly one day, things fall into place, and you think, I’ve cracked it finally. Then the next three days it all goes tits up again. At least that’s what I find at the moment.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Emily said:

Consistency is the thing with this though isn’t it. Suddenly one day, things fall into place, and you think, I’ve cracked it finally. Then the next three days it all goes tits up again. At least that’s what I find at the moment.

I am hoping tomorrow night I smash it out lol. 

Orderd some parts to fix the grinder. Lucky really the person didn't answer my reply for their grinder, was about to spend £175 on a grinder lol. Now I spent £9 to fix mine lol. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Emily said:

Oh that’s good! I’m sorry,I meant to ask how your grinder was. Glad it is fixable 👍☺️ 

Well my current options are

Flys through, dont think it touches the coffee.

Goes through fast and makes a mess

Goes through fast and some extraction happens. A bit messy but taste alright.

Takes 1 minute plus 

I use to use my spinning tamp, watched the pros spin to evenly spread then tamp 

This showed me I have been tamping harder than I can with the tamp only, as the spinner allows me to just put my weight on it 🤷‍♂️

So going back through these settings 🤣

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Emily said:

@Tinkstar Did you get the grinder fixed yet?

Parts not arrived yet. 

So currently left it at the lowest setting and just doing 17g-20g depending on what comes out.

Which gets me 25-1:29 1:2 ratios lol

Tastes like traditional coffee. Occassional nutty (maybe) flavours. 

Done 1 decent ish design in my big mug but I think it's a lot easier in a 250mug than 400ml mug lol

How are you getting on? Done much since the explosion?

Lol had another “explosion” yesterday ☹️ so not sure what is happening there! I only put 18g in the basket so not overloaded, but the portafilter crashed out mid shot, taking out the cup, scales, and saucer with it. I don’t know if I am being too careful putting it in the thingy because I don’t want to disturb the puck 🤷‍♀️ 
but I am back on the instant today because I am lockdown painting and haven’t time for the mess 😂 

3 minutes ago, Emily said:

Lol had another “explosion” yesterday ☹️ so not sure what is happening there! I only put 18g in the basket so not overloaded, but the portafilter crashed out mid shot, taking out the cup, scales, and saucer with it. I don’t know if I am being too careful putting it in the thingy because I don’t want to disturb the puck 🤷‍♀️ 
but I am back on the instant today because I am lockdown painting and haven’t time for the mess 😂 

18g measure to 0.1g ?

if you are grinding pretty course then it could still create quite a volume 

lastly was the pf locked in tightly enough, twisting , the pf isn’t going to disturb the puck. I suspect it could be this 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

lastly was the pf locked in tightly enough, twisting , the pf isn’t going to disturb the puck. I suspect it could be this 

This was my concern too 🤦‍♂️

No clue but would the rubber seal cause this issue ?

• Like 1

Definitely not overloaded, when I tamped it was the right level (ie. line on the tamper). I kind of push it as far as it will go without me having to hold onto the other side of the machine to get some traction if you see what I mean. I will try forcing it a bit more.

4 hours ago, Emily said:

Definitely not overloaded, when I tamped it was the right level (ie. line on the tamper). I kind of push it as far as it will go without me having to hold onto the other side of the machine to get some traction if you see what I mean. I will try forcing it a bit more.

I have to hold mine.. seal ok?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Tinkstar said:

have to hold mine.. seal ok?

Do you? Ah ok will try that! I maybe need to be more forceful with it. I was scared of breaking something. Hopefully the seal is ok, I’m not sure how I would know. But it’s only 2 months old...

6 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

18g measure to 0.1g ?

if you are grinding pretty course then it could still create quite a volume 

This one cropped up  in the Sage section. Never happened to me over a lot of coffee even early on without scales and basket so full it was hard to get the portafilter on. ;) At that point I read the manual and noticed what the razor tool was for. Also the brewing instruction especially re the gauge but decided that part was most definitely wrong. It probably works out with preground and the dual wall baskets. The ratio they suggest can be pretty good on some beans though.

Edited by ajohn