IGNORED

E37S display losing brightness

Hey people, I've had my E37S for a fair while now and still very happy with it, but of late I've noticed that the display is getting harder to read. I thought it was my eyesight at first but I'm convinced it's not as bright/contrasty as it used to be.

Does anyone know if this is a relatively easy thing to sort out, e.g. a backlight that has dimmed, or moved away from the actual LCD? Hoping it's just replacing a bulb or reattaching the backlight. The display itself functions, just hard to read.

I'd have a look myself but I can't even figure out how you'd get into the control pod, no visible screws.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update: I've just done a quick check and swapped the good display from the E37s with the E92 and indeed it is the actual display unit that has the fault as the fault moved over to the E37s. (I was won

As this is an English written forum... 👍 - I’ll translate. Well, Google have.... 😊   

It worked for me, cost me £15 it was a very easy repair unsolder 3 attachment posts and unplug a ribbon cable and replug the new one. It has black digits on a yellow background, a little clearer to re

Posted Images

Interested in this one.
Same has happened on my E92. It uses the same display but my E37s is three times more bright.
I’m guessing the back light has failed or part of it. I’ve researched a new display unit and they run to about £200 as you have to buy the complete control pad etc. I haven’t taken the plunge to open her up yet.

I have the part number somewhere and @DavecUKsuggested the cheapest supplier, I’ll see if I can dig it out.

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

50 minutes ago, hotmetal said:

I'd have a look myself but I can't even figure out how you'd get into the control pod, no visible screws.

Paul, if it helps...

https://wiki.wholelattelove.com/images/6/60/E37S_Parts_Diagram.pdf

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Oh that doesn't sound hopeful. I am a bit conflicted now whether it's even worth the risk of trying to take the front off to have a look, especially if the part is £££. B*gger.

Is the lack of light caused by superfine coffee dust accessing the unit ?

It is quite easy to access the control unit, the 2 phillips screws are underneath the top burr mounting.

Remove the mounting, release the screws and gently lift off the control panel (may need wiggling around the rubber chute seal).

Gently pull off the plug on the end of the ribbon cable and the control panel is free.    You will be surprised at the amount of coffee down inside the grinder.

Try vacuuming around the panel to remove any dust.

• Like 2

Found it!

The topic has a lot of information about the part number, how to get at it and suppliers etc.

• Like 1

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I've removed the front and disconnected the ribbon cable. Cleaned everything while it was apart, so not a complete waste of time, but "No user serviceable parts inside" is the motto. There was no coffee dust evident near the display so I don't think it's that. There is no backlight per se, just the complete touch pad assembly which as noted in an earlier post, is basically glued on to the metal front beak with glue from above. Removing it would almost certainly be pointless and probably crease it or make it not reattach properly. There's nothing much you can do cleaning wise or in terms of repositioning. Apart from lake_m and myself all I could find was someone on H-B with the same issue and a similar response "empty your pockets for a new one".
180 Euro!
Nah, I think I will live with it being a tad dim.

The grinder is fully functional and all nice and clean, and I can still read the display when the room is dark. It's just a bit annoying.

http://www.rimprezza.de/epages/63241512.mobile/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63241512/Products/CEA50296 20201229_160203.jpg20201229_160234.jpg20201229_160509.jpg20201229_160519.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hotmetal said:

20201229_160203.jpg

mmmm that looks like a potentiometer (variable resistor) to me just above where the flex-cable plugs in...it's the little square black thing with a white circle (i can't highlight it on this pc) ......IF......it is indeed a pot then the chances are (but no guarantee as i'd need to see a circuit diagram to confirm) that it's used for contrast or possibly brightness adjustment.....it's worth marking with a felt-tip/other and giving it a turn one-way/other with a very small screwdriver and see what happens. If nothing varies then put back to the original (felt-tip mark) position. Best of luck if it is.

• Like 1

Yeah I did take the opportunity to try a little tweak of the pot before I put it back together. Sadly, it didn't really help, as that pot appears to be some sort of bias adjuster rather than a brightness control per se. It is TINY! No chance of marking it with a sharpie. I took the precaution of photographing it closely before I touched it. I turned it just a few degrees in each direction and it appeared to make it harder to read, either darker or less sharp somehow. The optimum position is where it was set at the factory.

When Ceado are back off holiday maybe they'll be able to help. 20201229_160640.jpg

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, hotmetal said:

Yeah I did take the opportunity to try a little tweak of the pot before I put it back together. Sadly, it didn't really help...I turned it just a few degrees in each direction and it appeared to make it harder to read, either darker or less sharp somehow. The optimum position is where it was set at the factory.

Good man, it was worth a stab...sorry it didn't fix your issue....yeah the pots are small and they don't last long (turning back/forth wise)...shame that little board is sooooo expensive for what you get....hopefully Ceado will do the honorable thing and send you one free-gratis.

• Like 1

The grinders have a 3 year guarantee I believe...I also just checked my review and I actually said they were LCD displays (not Oled as I thought earlier)

• Like 2

Nothing here...

Cheers Dave. Yeah, unfortunately it is out of warranty as I got it Feb 2016. I dug out the receipt just now, so I've asked Jens if he's got any ideas. He'd not heard of it before (I can only find me, lake_m and one guy on H-B who have flagged the issue). He has said he'll try to contact Ceado as soon as they're back at work.

• Thanks 1

Update: I've just done a quick check and swapped the good display from the E37s with the E92 and indeed it is the actual display unit that has the fault as the fault moved over to the E37s. (I was wondering if it might have been a power supply issue coming from the main control board inside the grinder and wanted to rule that out). I've also checked out the manufacturer of the unit's website http://www.battocchio.com/en/home It may be a long shot but they might supply the unit cheaper directly rather than go through Ceado.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

No i'm afraid not...the part shown is a "generic" 16x2 LED/LCD/OLED display...it NEEDS the other board (sometimes called a daughter board) that is ATTACHED to the display....you can bet your bottom dollar that the "daughter" board is made under licence (probably by Bottocchio) and the firmware/software is "unique" to THAT particular daughter board....look very carefully at the OP's pictures and you can clearly see that it is a 2-board arrangement....the display board/pcb will (from past experience) will outwardly resemble the one in the fleabay link but it will more than likely have "slight-alterations" to it that make it "harder" to copy/replicate or not worth the while (read too much faff). The right person with the right skills/knowledge and appropriate-tools "may" be able to bastardise it to fit; but yer average Joe ain't got a prayer.

Sometimes it's just easier/economical just to buy the "original" one; even if it does cost a mint.

• 2 weeks later...