Just wanted to put a quick mention out for the guys at made by knock. If you've not heard of them they're an Edinburgh based company who sell really lovely tampers at brilliant prices - £18 for a simple tamper including delivery is pretty good in my book! They also do VST baskets and tamper combo's which look fab.

Customer service is also excellent. I had made an order earlier in the week and sent an email to enquire about it's progress. The response I got from the owner of the company explained that it had been posted, but that if it didn't arrive by this morning (which it did) then he would come over to my house this afternoon to drop one off for me to use, and we could then make arrangements about the second one which would arrive by post. Although it wasn't needed in the end, to even offer coming over on a Saturday afternoon to drop one off is amazing...

A highly recommended and friendly company!

And for the record I've never had anything to do with, or even heard of the company before I had read about them on this forum! :)

Edited by BongoSteve
just to add web address to title of post

Fracino Piccino - Eureka Mignon - 17g LM basket - 58.35mm Madebyknock tamper - Aeropress - Bodum FP

I've got the madebyknock Heft tamper in 58.35mm and dark beech wood, I absolutely love it even if I did have to change my tamping style.

I too can vouch for the excellent customer service as I initially expressed some concerns to Peter that the heft was too heavy and I'd like to swap for a simple.

He was very happy to do a swap but in the end I stuck with the heft. He also told me about what ideas he had in the pipeline including aluminium handles!

I have tried to persuade him to advertise on this forum. I think anyone looking for a tamper of any size/type should buy from him!

Also the 58.35mm is an excellent fit for the VST baskets!

Another very happy customer here! I bought the standard vst tamper and its really great. Fits the basket perfectly without feeling like it scrapes along the sides. I would recommend them to everyone.

Roy & Alex & The Maestro & Herman ze Hausgrind

I received my simple VST tamper yesterday, a little confusion with the order (I originally received a knock top), the guys happily sent out a new tamper with next day delivery. I have to say it a huge improvement to my Motta 58mm tamper. Can't fault the madebyknock for price and quality

I'm a happy customer too.

Made an initial enquiry earlier this week, they got straight back to me and said if the tamper was a little too big (sylvia's can be a large 57 rather than an exact 58 apparently) that I could return it to them and they would alter it for me.

Tamper was delviered the day after I placed my order.

Just wanted to put a quick mention out for the guys at made by knock. If you've not heard of them they're an Edinburgh based company who sell really lovely tampers at brilliant prices - £18 for a simple tamper including delivery is pretty good in my book!

Am I going mad? The 'simple' seems to be a lot more than that and I can't actually see the 'heft' for sale.

Ha the heft is secret and you have to ask for it specially.

If you email Peter he will make you a custom heft :-)

The Heft looks huge! What elements are 'custom' configured?

@garydyke1

Peter will custom how 'fly' your particular tamper is. I asked for the full 5.0 surround sound fly-ness.

Its basically base size, I chose 58.35mm and handle wood style, light beech or awesome dark coco beech.

He will shortly be offering Aluminium tampers and I have recommended he try to shift some of the height up the handle and away from the base.

I would look out for the heft v2.0 if I were you.

http://www.madebyknock.com/buy.html

Hopefully a link to where I bought my simple 58mm tamper for £18 - custom ones for VST are a bit more, as is the tamper and knock top combo

Fracino Piccino - Eureka Mignon - 17g LM basket - 58.35mm Madebyknock tamper - Aeropress - Bodum FP

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh! So the conclusion is I'm being more blind than I actually am... Apologies for the stupid question.

No question is a stupid question - happy to help! I've certainly received enough of it myself from everyone on here!

Peter will custom how 'fly' your particular tamper is. I asked for the full 5.0 surround sound fly-ness.

Its basically base size, I chose 58.35mm and handle wood style, light beech or awesome dark coco beech.

He will shortly be offering Aluminium tampers and I have recommended he try to shift some of the height up the handle and away from the base.

I would look out for the heft v2.0 if I were you.

Im quite happy with my Orange convex TORR....Id like a flat base for my Hasbean-Red TORR spare handle..trouble is 30 quid inc delivery!

@garydyke1

I have to say it a huge improvement to my Motta 58mm tamper. Can't fault the madebyknock for price and quality

Filthy_rich - this is probably a stupid question :) but can you explain why this tamper is so much better than the Motta? Is it to do with the VST basket? I'm thinking of getting one of these as I've got a 57mm tamper, but need a 58mm one for a gaggia classic.

Reneb - The Motta was actually about 57.5mm whereas the madebyknock is 58.35 so it's a much snugger fit for my VSTs

interesting that the motta isn't actually 58mm, is this deliberate?

Reneb - I think it's due more to quality control rather than design. This is where madebyknock is better as each tamper is made to specifically fit a VST basket

thanks filthy_rich - i'll order one from madebyknock today - they do look pretty solid, and from the web site it sounds like they're precision made.

my madebyknock tamper has just been delivered to work. can't wait to try it out. it looks fantastic and has a really nice heft to it. really excellent, fast and helpful service from peter, who responded to my various questions very quickly - most impressed - i can thoroughly recommend them.

Received my Knock 58mm tamper and got the Digital callipers out and bang on 58mm apart from one little area where it was 58.05mm!! yes i should get out more, im using it in a VST but i like a gap of around 0.4 so when i twist to polish it doesn't scrape, good quality but would have had a dark wood handle if i new they did them, bugger, maybe i will send him some oak i have :)

Peter did me the tamper, Knocktop and a new tamp mat they are doing for £31 in total, very nice company to do business with, the only thing i would like is a contact telephone number on the site!

Another thumbs up

Quick mill Verona, Eureka Mignon, 17 & 21gLM VST plus other stuff, even get a half decent coffee out of it sometimes :D

Tell Peter you want dark wood and he'll happily swap if you send back the old one.

im quite happy with the beach one as its well made and its not like my coffee making will get any better with the dark wood (if only), its more one of those "oh bugger i wish i knew beforehand" things.

Edited by RobD

Quick mill Verona, Eureka Mignon, 17 & 21gLM VST plus other stuff, even get a half decent coffee out of it sometimes :D

I have the dark wood one, its really fantastic. When the sun shines on it you get the true depth of colour.

I've very happy with the base of mine so far (the 58.35 to fit the VST). Very nice fit and good quality. The handle I'm not so happy about in that the screw in the base was set in at an angle (about 10 degrees off vertical) so I've asked Peter to swap it out. Overall quality seems good but I was disappointed with that in that it's easy to see and I would have thought they would have caught that before shipping. Anyhow I'll update and let you all know how the service is.

Overall a 8/10 so far. With a straight handle up to a 9/10. Wish I'd known about the dark wood option before though, would probably have gone for that if I'd known.

EDIT: As of this morning Peter replied very quickly and offered to send a new one out. Very good service.

EDIT2: Peter sent a new handle out which arrived today and a little bag to send the old one back. Very happy. Great to find a company that stands behind it's products.

Edited by origmarm
Update on situation

Fracino Cherub Stainless, VST baskets, Eureka Mignon. Knock VST Tamper, a few motta tampers. Various press/moka pots, Aeropress, Baraza Virtuoso Preciso at work

Anyone heard from Peter recently?

I put in an order the week before last and got a quick response to a query at the time, but asked for an update on my order early last week and have not heard anything back.