IGNORED

Shall I still use lelits water filter?

It's a tricky one as we don't know how much water you are using, starting hardness (no info on your location) and the effectiveness of the jug, which can often be overstated.

• Like 3

Nothing here...

Good points that I've overlooked really. 

I would say I was going through quite a lot of water from mainly practice shots, a very rough guess about half - 1 litre per day but have calmed down a bit. I will keep tabs to actually see how much I'm using. On that note, do you recommend waiting for the tank to fully empty or top it up before it empties? I've been doing the latter.

I live in East London/Essex, the water is hard here (I just checked Thames website) Calcium carbonate(CaCO3): 259 ppm

As for the jug, I would say it is alot more effective than a britta filter. I'm not sure how to test it. Would be interesting to see. 

Your water i hard as Vinnie Jones...I'd be careful with the jug, it will probably only filter half the amount it states it can do.

I only every fill my tank for the water I will use for a day, max 2 days....that way the tank contains much fresher water....rather than it hanging about for a week.

• Like 2

Nothing here...

Ah ok great advice regarding the water in the tank, makes sense.

I'm going to look for something that tests the water, see how effective the jug is. I suppose it's safe to safe that the extra water filter in tank is advisable then.

Would you happen to know any decent testing kits out there?

Also, if the jug doesn't do what it says on the tin, what options are there?

Alright, I'm off for a coffee and some your morning thought vids! They've been great btw, the cleaning aspect in particular have been really helpful. 

in herts (so water is probably similar), our Britta jug was only partially effective on our old machine.  I wouldn't rely on the jug.

You'll need to feed it bottled water or get something like an Osmio Zero (we wouldn't be without ours now)

@ChrisKon - I’m in Essex as well, with equally hard water. Tried the jug and in-line Lelit filter approach in my Mara but still got some build up in my machine, so descaled every 6 months (not ideal).

I would have considered an Osmio if I had spare counter space, but got one of the big BWT under sink filters instead that is good for a much larger volume. Needs monitoring but should mean a descale every 12-18 months 🤞

You can get aquarium water hardness test kits on Amazon for ~£7 if you need one for total hardness and alkalinity. The numbers the water company tell you can be way off, Essex water sent me a report saying I was in a medium to soft water area which raised an eyebrow, unless the “very hard” on their scale is literally solid chalk...

18 minutes ago, Northern_Monkey said:

@ChrisKon - I’m in Essex as well, with equally hard water. Tried the jug and in-line Lelit filter approach in my Mara but still got some build up in my machine, so descaled every 6 months (not ideal).

I would have considered an Osmio if I had spare counter space, but got one of the big BWT under sink filters instead that is good for a much larger volume. Needs monitoring but should mean a descale every 12-18 months 🤞

You can get aquarium water hardness test kits on Amazon for ~£7 if you need one for total hardness and alkalinity. The numbers the water company tell you can be way off, Essex water sent me a report saying I was in a medium to soft water area which raised an eyebrow, unless the “very hard” on their scale is literally solid chalk...

I think what water the water companies consider medium, might be in terms of normal appliances and washing machines, especially where washing powders contain "builders" to reduce scaling. The temperature many home devices apart from kettles operate at is quite low. Water with what might be considered a relatively low mineral content, can be liquid death to espresso machines.

Edited by DavecUK
Fighting cat for keyboard dominance
  • Like 3

Nothing here...

4 hours ago, ChrisKon said:

Would you happen to know any decent testing kits out there?

This sort of kit will tell you how hard your water is: https://gb-drugsupplystore.glopalstore.com/products/ra-gh-kh-general-carbonate-hardness-test-kit-freshwater.html?cmp_id=10682985244&adg_id=109092986607&kwd=&device=c&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoab_BRCxARIsANMx4S5F3kwsHsT0nnILBJP-pJxy1j8DjRftUmEga7NkuH80UdTwJAfGBi4aAunpEALw_wcB

The problem with a jug, as is with the in-tank filter, is that its effectiveness will reduce as it's being used (and faster in a hard water area as you are in). It will be difficult to keep track of what the filter is doing, and it might not be good enough even when it's new. Therefore, a reliable source of soft water would be safer. Personally I use soft bottled water (Tesco Ashbeck), which is quite soft although not ideal for the environment. I also still have signs of scale build-up visible on the E-61 mushroom, though not much.

Others here use RO water (e.g Osmio), which probably is also not ideal for the environment. I haven't found a great solution to this problem yet, but still looking and hopefully something better will come up in the future.

Edited by Doram
Just now, Northern_Monkey said:

@ChrisKon - Regular RO systems consume a huge amount of water when running, you don’t really see it (except in your water bill) for the plumbed in ones connected to a drain.

Aha, I see thanks.

I will consider the Osmio as I do have the space and am not keen on buying so many plastic bottles.

1 hour ago, ChrisKon said:

Aha, I see thanks.

I will consider the Osmio as I do have the space and am not keen on buying so many plastic bottles.

Review here and covers the water issue. Approx...for ever 5 litres, you get 4 litres of RO, which is way, way, better than even the best plumbed pump systems. Those with a storage tank are even worse because of the back pressure. It achieves this because the water a standard RO system would normally send down the drain, goes back to the supply pitcher and is passed through the membrane again....until the final litre you throw away is concentrated 4 times compared to the starting water.

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2019/01/06/osmio-zero/

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/2019/07/14/osmio-zero-6-months-later/

• Like 4

Nothing here...

Man, I never thought it'd be spending any more money on my setup but after careful consideration, it defintely makes sense to invest in the Osmio as it means further investing in my machine and coffee.  

On 28/12/2020 at 12:43, DavecUK said:

Good forum deal from an advertiser as well

Thanks for the heads up @DavecUK

Just need to think what I'm going to sell to pay for all of this now..

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Sibling Chris said:

Resurrecting a thread, hope that is ok! 🙂

new bianca user here just going through setup. Presumably those of you using the Osmio Zero (or other RO for that matter) don’t use the lelit water filter as well?

With an Osmio, you don't need the Lelit in tank filter.

• Like 1

Nothing here...