IGNORED

Hi from Somerset

Hi folks , I've just started on this coffee journey . Finding lots of great advice on here .

I started with a Nespresso pod machine for years , but always wanted to grind my own coffee but was always put off by the price .

I recently grabbed a De'Longhi ec201cd.b from Aldi for £70 on an impulse buy , so that's my machine for now . Grinder researching is driving me crazy tho...

4 minutes ago, bluesith said:

Is it still worth getting a decent grinder for use with this coffee machine ?

Maybe. But if you buy something decent to start with when you come to upgrade your machine you wont have to get another grinder.

• Thanks 1

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Bezzera machines back in stock!

33 minutes ago, bluesith said:

Is it still worth getting a decent grinder for use with this coffee machine ?

You can have the best machine in the world but if grinds are poor you’re stuck....

rubbish in rubbish out

quality in something out

what sort of coffee are you trying to make? What do you like to drink short espressos? Long blacks? Lattes with syrup?

https://www.delonghi.com/en-int/products/coffee/coffee-makers/pump-espresso/ec-201cdb-0132151089

as a 15bar machine it will extract fast not details on the sort of basket it comes with, double Or single wall?

Grinder your looking at around double the amount you spent on your machine for anything capable of espresso grinds  even used, advantage of a decent grinder is you can use it for more than just espresso 

Edited by HDAV
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

Maybe. But if you buy something decent to start with when you come to upgrade your machine you wont have to get another grinder.

That's what I was thinking. 

The path I've been looking at went like this, 

Sage smart Pro

Iberital MK2

Baratza settle 270 

Eureka mignon manuale

Then a few hand grinders but now thinking of a Eureka mignon specialita .

Although the niche zero looks and sounds great it's maybe pushing the price and availability a bit much .

12 minutes ago, HDAV said:

You can have the best machine in the world but if grinds are poor you’re stuck....

rubbish in rubbish out

quality in something out

what sort of coffee are you trying to make? What do you like to drink short espressos? Long blacks? Lattes with syrup?

I like espresso , americano and an odd cappuccino. I'm quite keen to learn and try more.

35 minutes ago, bluesith said:

I like espresso , americano and an odd cappuccino. I'm quite keen to learn and try more.

They are all espresso based so an espresso capable grinder will be needed. 

you’ll exceed the capability of the delonghi pretty quickly but you can then fully embrace the rabbit hole 

• Thanks 1
Just now, HDAV said:

They are all espresso based so an espresso capable grinder will be needed. 

you’ll exceed the capability of the delonghi pretty quickly but you can then fully embrace the rabbit hole .

Thanks , do you have any recommendations of the list I've been looking at , or any others in the same price point ?

Although I have an interest as I sell them I really do think the Mignon range is the sweet spot at the price point you are considering.

The Manaule is great entry point but if you are happy to step up then the Specialita adds larger burrs and a more powerful motor. It'll pair very well with a good few rungs up the ladder from the delonghi.

• Thanks 1

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

1 minute ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

Although I have an interest as I sell them I really do think the Mignon range is the sweet spot at the price point you are considering.

The Manaule is great entry point but if you are happy to step up then the Specialita adds larger burrs and a more powerful motor. It'll pair very well with a good few rungs up the ladder from the delonghi.

Thanks . That's kinda what I was hoping . Looks good and seems to be well made and repairable . I get quite annoyed with electrical items breaking and needing replaced as that's what the manufacturer intended.

59 minutes ago, bluesith said:

Thanks . That's kinda what I was hoping . Looks good and seems to be well made and repairable . I get quite annoyed with electrical items breaking and needing replaced as that's what the manufacturer intended.

Sounds like you need a gaggia classic 😜

I have mignon bought when there was just the one .... seems to be a wide range now... oddly while a classic has more than doubled in price in the last 6/8 years the mignon seems to be similarly priced for similar features 🤔 no touch screens in 2012 a basic timer was the only feature 

Edited by HDAV
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BlackCatCoffee said:

@BlackCatCoffee do you think the manuale is worth the extra £45 over the piccino (ascaso rebranded?) as you sell both. 

10 hours ago, HDAV said:

@BlackCatCoffee do you think the manuale is worth the extra £45 over the piccino (ascaso rebranded?) as you sell both. 

100% 

The Piccino is a decent grinder but it is not as consistent as the Mignon and it is much slower and noisier. 

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Even for a machine like the base model Delonghi machine you have, a good grinder is worth the effort. Sure it's a pressurised machine that only makes espresso-like drinks, but freshly ground beans improve the output in a measurable way. And you may as well get a good grinder capable of proper espresso grind if the upgrade bug is likely to strike. And I'd join with the recommendation of the Mignon. Not only is the Mignon a fully capable grinder, it has lots of advantages like being able to pop the top off to clean it without losing your grind setting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, bluesith said:

Haha yup , that's where I'm at now . Any advice on model , new or second hand etc ?

Cheers

Comes down to budget really the days of cheap used classics have sort of gone, they can still be had for £150-200 or £300+ fully modded with a. Pid etc

a new classic is £400 and still needs some mods to get the best out of it 

there are other options but either don’t perform as well, cost more rancilio Silvia fracino piccino etc or don’t have the support and back up out of warranty sage etc decide how much you are comfortable spending and then add some 🙈

• Thanks 1
On 22/12/2020 at 22:23, bluesith said:

..Looks good and seems to be well made and repairable . I get quite annoyed with electrical items breaking and needing replaced as that's what the manufacturer intended...

Yes and no....make your "item" too good (Panasonic M7) and you won't get much in the way of aftersales/parts/warranty-claims/service/other etc. etc. (my bread n butter for many years)....whereas if it's shite aka "cheap n nasty" (Goodmans, Alba, Bush, Crown etc.) then people will just bin em...hence we (some but not all) became a (budget-driven) "throw-away-society" IMO.

The same is with coffee related stuff....if you buy garbage machine/grinder/beans/other, then unfortunately your gonna get garbage results...YMMV.

Welcome to the forum BTW....enjoy your stay 😀

• Thanks 1