IGNORED

Espresso machine upgrading advice

1 hour ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Fair enough. I’m wondering if the group E61 is stable in 24 minutes. I doubt it. But I don’t have one, so I can’t say much. 👍

I don't have means to measure the head stability. So I can only trust (or not) what Lelit say. The trick, if I understand it correctly, is they use the PID to overshoot the target to speed up heating time (so the pressure goes up to almost 3 bar), then cool down to the desired brew temperature.

Lelit says that with this cycle the machine is ready to brew in 24 minutes. What I see in real life is that it takes about this time (or even less) to get the pressure up to almost 3, then down to about 0.7. At this stage I assume the machine is ready to brew, and coffee seems to be spot on. If that means it is stable or not - I don't know. 

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

You mean this, same size as MaraX, with Elizabeth steam boiler, 400ml or 500ml brew boiler and all the Elizabeth programming?

While you are at it @DavecUK, can you maybe add a lever and a stereo speaker to play nice music?  

Just now, Doram said:

I don't have means to measure the head stability. So I can only trust (or not) what Lelit say. The trick, if I understand it correctly, is they use the PID to overshoot the target to speed up heating time (so the pressure goes up to almost 3 bar), then cool down to the desired brew temperature.

Lelit says that with this cycle the machine is ready to brew in 24 minutes. What I see in real life is that it takes about this time (or even less) to get the pressure up to almost 3, then down to about 0.7. At this stage I assume the machine is ready to brew, and coffee seems to be spot on. If that means it is stable or not - I don't know. 

While you are at it @DavecUK, can you maybe add a lever and a stereo speaker to play nice music?  

It's stable when I said it was in my review...can't remember how long that is now.

I did add stereo speakers and an MP3 player, but they laughed at me.

• Like 1

Nothing here...

24 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

It's stable when I said it was in my review...can't remember how long that is now.

@Doram - Dave says in his review:

I personally gave it 30 minutes, usually I like to give my machines 45 minutes, but this seemed ready to play. 

Let’s say that, by the laws of average, we are both right. 😊😉👍

• Like 2

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

47 minutes ago, HVL87 said:

When will this be available 😄

You can already pre order it direct from @DavecUK, and I think he forgot to mention that it feeds on water discharge from other Marax's OPV, so basically it doesn't need any water at all.

Edited by Doram
1 minute ago, Flamingo said:

@MediumRoastSteamI think you may have convinced me to get an Elizabeth! Currently going through the information in the forum and will report back :)

😄 - do check Dave’s review. That’s the most important thing.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

@MediumRoastSteam

I think I'll go ahead with the Elizabeth because I came to the (slow) realisation that ease-of-use is very important for me and the fact it's low maintenance, fast to heat up and has pre-set / programmable modes makes a big difference when comparing to other options.  

The size fits better with my kitchen space too.

Pre-infusion options are cool so I guess the main thing I'm missing out on is profiling but as it's not something I'm too interested in currently I'm not too bothered.

The girlfriend approved the looks too so that's another box ticked. 

And it's also in the ballpark of my initial budget (£1k).

In terms of additional accessories I think I'll get:

1. 18g ridgeless VST and IMS baskets 
  2. Tamper - do I need 58.4mm or 58.5/58.55?
  3. Bottomless portafilter (always wanted one) - any 58mm compatible would work right?
  4. Double walled espresso glasses - to keep my shots warm for longer 

In the future I may consider getting:

• Distribution tool - do this accessory make a big difference?
  • Smart plug - if the 17' start-up time is not an issue I'll probably not bother!

Did I mention that the girlfriend is getting me an ember cup for Christmas? 😇

@Flamingo - I should contact Lelit and register myself as a commissionable sales person... 😂😂😂😂😂😊

jokes aside:

go for VST or IMS. You don’t need both for sure. I prefer VST, but that’s my own preference. But it’s not essential.

tamper: essential. It’s a shame they don’t put one as standard with the Elizabeth. Regardless, any will do. It’s important they are good quality ones. If you go for a 58.5 or 58.55mm, make sure you get something with a tapered edge or ridges otherwise it will suck the puck up when you lift it up. The one I have is a secondhand Rhinoware that happened to be for sale here and I bought it. It’s a 58.4mm. Works for me. But surely there are better ones. I think the Lelit one, 58.55mm is a pretty decent one.

bottomless: again, not essential. They should all fit, but some fit better then others. Rocket bottomless fits well, so does ECM ones. I have the latter, bought secondhand. Lelit does its own and for sure it will fit nicely too. 

double walled glasses: yep, I have them. Saves me boiling the kettle to warm the cups up. I don’t have an Osmio, my water is not soft. So I distil my water an remineralise it. It’s as precious as expensive high grade coffee! So yes, dual wall glasses for sure! 👍

distribution tool... Meh. Don’t go over the top with them. I let’s you be lazy as it makes a nice and even surface to tamp on. It won’t do miracles though. 

smart plug. Ditto... don’t bother. 17-20 min to be stable and ready to brew. 

Keep us posted!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cuprajake said:

@MediumRoastSteam did i read that the vts baskets show bad prep easier and ims are a tad more forgiving?

Must admit i really want an Elizabeth ☺️

I think so. I’ve been using VSTs since 2013 or thereabouts, so, I’m used to it now. I never have spritzers or channeling. I have an IMS in the drawer, used once. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cuprajake said:

I went ims to edge my bets 😂

Right. I got my IMS basket out. Gave it a go this morning and the pour was horrible. 😂😂😂 - looks like I need to re-learn a few things. 🤣🤣🤣

It’s a B682TCh26.5E, and I’m dosing 18.3g in it, same as the VST. 2 things I noticed: there’s a little bit more headspace (so it might fit 20g? Not sure) and the bottom is convex, unlike the VST which is flat. 

which one have you @Cuprajake?

info here on how to decode the code name:

http://www.imsfiltri.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/IMS-Competition-Catalogue.pdf

VST is so much simpler... 😂😂😂🤣🤣

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

I tested both IMS Competition and VST when deciding what to stock. I went with IMS in the end as I found them easier to work with and I preferred the results.

I think people would be happy with either though to be honest. Both are a big upgrade over the standard baskets most manufacturers provide. 

I am hoping to get some of their nano technology baskets in the new year.

David 

• Like 2

www.blackcatcoffee.co.uk

Coffee | Espresso Machines | Grinders | Accessories

Izzo Vivi, Alex and Alex Duetto in stock now!