IGNORED

Puly grind just choked my mignon?

Decided to order some puly grind and treat my mignon to a clear out (normally just take the top burr off and hoover it out brush out any stale grinds etc and put back to use), decided to order some puly grind, followed the instructions on the pack, empty hopper, add grinder cleaner add beans, grind through and discard 2 shots, well first grind went ok then machine locked up i ended up removing the top burr and clearing it then grinding through.

Did i do it wrong? seems the combination of puly in the burrs and a few half ground beans wedged the mechanism? Anyone else using puly grind in a Mignon

I think the only mistake was to use Puly grind, I don't like any of those products that you grind through to clean the grinder, as they are no substitute for opening the burr chamber and giving it a good manual clean, dry toothbrush on the burrs and wipe round with a very slightly damp  e cloth to remove coffee oils from the chamber.

I suppose those products have their place on things where you can't easily get at the burr chamber e.g. a bean to cup machine, although I don't know what it would do as it tries to make a coffee with them...possibly break?

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

Nothing here...

2 hours ago, HDAV said:

Decided to order some puly grind and treat my mignon to a clear out (normally just take the top burr off and hoover it out brush out any stale grinds etc and put back to use), decided to order some puly grind, followed the instructions on the pack, empty hopper, add grinder cleaner add beans, grind through and discard 2 shots, well first grind went ok then machine locked up i ended up removing the top burr and clearing it then grinding through.

Did i do it wrong? seems the combination of puly in the burrs and a few half ground beans wedged the mechanism? Anyone else using puly grind in a Mignon

Did you adjust the grinder to go coarser at least? Maybe grinding that too fine jammed the grinder up?

lesson one: don’t bother with that nonsense ever again. 😉

lesson 2: learn how to unjam the grinder the hard way. Try coarsening the grind and turning the motor. If that doesn’t work... open it up, clean it all, make sure no caked powder in the chute. 
👍

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

13 hours ago, HDAV said:

Was hoping for an easier way to clean machine between beans rather than dismantling the machine each time. 

It's really not that hard to do mate.

The results are well worth the small effort.

• Like 1

I don’t remember taking off the top burr being that difficult. Granted you would want to be doing this every time to did a shot.

I used to single dose and give it a open handed smack on top of the grind chamber which seemed to push out any retained grinds.

Getting the hoover on it helps too rather than Puly grind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro