IGNORED

Another Hand Grinder Thread

I am tasked with finding a hand grinder capable of doing espresso for a close friend. They run a classic and I really want them to buy beans to get the best out of it.

I don’t know the market that well so I’m asking.

Budget is £75 max. Brand new only.

Ready steady go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your budget is unrealistic. You need to double/triple it.

You can make espresso with a £50-60 hand grinder,, but only a masochist would start out doing this.

• Like 4
You can make espresso with a £50-60 hand grinder,, but only a masochist would start out doing this.

Lol. Appreciate the response.

I genuinely though lots of people did espresso with hand grinders. Maybe there are some masochists out there who might share their experience.

I've used my mk2 feldgrind to make espresso with the classic and have had really good shots from it. Think I got it for around £100 about three years ago. MBK have newer models like the aergrind etc which are all at varying price points

• Like 1
1 hour ago, richwade80 said:

Lol. Appreciate the response.

I genuinely though lots of people did espresso with hand grinders. Maybe there are some masochists out there who might share their experience.

I have made espresso with hand grinders, including really cheap ones, getting past £100 (and ensuring the burrs are espresso capable & not brew only) makes it less of a tortuous proposition,

• Like 1

A good hand grinder works well for espresso but the key bit of that is 'good'. I use a Feld 47 several times a week for shots from a GC and daily for aeropress and it works really well. Tried using my old Porlex for shots and got through loads of beans without ever really getting it dialled in, and it'll still drift loads and give massive variation in particle size. Closest you'll get are probably the 1Zpresso JX, which @DavecUK reviewed positively but mainly for brewing rather than shots, and MBK's Aergrind, but that's still £120 shipped, though they occasionally sell cosmetic seconds for less so worth watching. @DavecUK did a good review on the JX here: Youtube 1Zpresso JX review

• Like 1

The Lido will do espresso but the adjustment is a bit coarse which is why they produced the Lido E with a finer thread. They also used Etzinger burrs for the E. I can't remember if they use them for the Lido 2 or not. 

@richwade80second hand is your only hope with that budget and even then you'll struggle to find anything that'll be good for espresso below £100.

Edited by Rob1
  • Like 1

@richwade80 - My Aergrind with newer style burrs takes like 5mins for 18g. Really nice coffee but now relegated to Aeropress when camping as it is a bit masochistic to make more than one...

Agree with the others on paying more, the difference on a bigger burr hand grinder like a JX-pro, Kinu or Feld-47 travel is massive. Basically a “good for espresso” hand grinder costs almost the same as an entry level electric one.

• Like 2
The Lido will do espresso but the adjustment is a bit coarse which is why they produced the Lido E with a finer thread. They also used Etzinger burrs for the E. I can't remember if they use them for the Lido 2 or not. 
@richwade80second hand is your only hope with that budget and even then you'll struggle to find anything that'll be good for espresso below £100.
Thnks, I will mainly use it for filters as in the morning I don't make espresso as wife and kid wake up later than me :)

Sent from my ALP-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes I started out doing exactly this with a Porlex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro