IGNORED

Niche or something else ?

i am looking at getting a upgraded / second grinder.
I currently have a sage smart grinder which i will continue to use, most likely for decaf.
I am tempted to get a Niche but for that kind of money should i look at anything else ?

Depends how you like to dose your coffee. For single dosing, the Niche is top of everyone's list in the sub £1000 bracket. If you prefer to run a hopper, then the field for grinders opens up a LOT. There's Mignons, the compak K3 touch and many many more.

• Like 1

If you want to single dose, and it is ridiculously easy with the Niche, then that's the logical choice at under a grand. If you want to run with a hopper full of beans, don't neglect the used market, there are real bargains to be had if you have the space. I have both a Zenith 65e and a Niche and TBH the Zenith doesn't get much use now. One of these days I will buy a used Mythos. If it does the trick, I'll give up single dosing.

• Like 1

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

I have a mignon specialita at the moment and I think it is doing a great job. I have adapted for single dosing with a bit of tube and a puffer, but it is great with the hopper on too.

I do have a niche on order for Feb delivery, but that is more because I'd like a 'cleaner' workflow in the mornings and single dosing is what I'm doing every day now.

The biggest difference, is when it goes wrong. Both have plentiful spare parts, diagrams and such online.  The Mignon is a favourite of the forums, as evidenced by the large number of users, and very very low number of used ones showing up. People buy them and love them.

They both have nice big flat burrs, and stepless adjustment for precise tweaking of grind. If you only make espresso with the grinder, then the Mignon will do you proud.

Bella Barista or @BlackCatCoffee

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

I got my niche a few weeks ago and I haven't used my specialita since.

I find the specialita to be less clumpy than the niche and once dialled in for a bag of beans the timed dosing makes it super easy/fast.

If you switch coffee or brewing method regularly the niche is untouchable, this is the reason I haven't used my specialita since getting the niche. I now have several bags of coffee open at the same time and switching between them is super simple, this just wasn't feasible with the specialita.

In terms of taste I cannot tell any difference between the niche and the specialita. Interestingly I average 1.3% higher EY with the niche.

So if you want to open a single bag of coffee and use it to completion the specialita is bullet proof and easy to live with. If you want to use several bags of coffee and switch between get the niche.

You say you will relegate the breville to decaf duty; if you get the niche I would be very surprised if that happened for the reasons mentioned above...

• Like 2

I am probably getting the mignon for 2 reasons. One is cost and the other is the niche are sold out and it will likely be Feb or March till I get it. I'm not that into single dosing I am happy to run a hopper. So with the above I think the mignon will do just fine. Do you want to sell me your Specialita?

10 minutes ago, Slee said:

I am probably getting the mignon for 2 reasons. One is cost and the other is the niche are sold out and it will likely be Feb or March till I get it. I'm not that into single dosing I am happy to run a hopper. So with the above I think the mignon will do just fine. Do you want to sell me your Specialita?

Just make sure there is a sales or wanted thread should a transaction be happening, in line with forum rules.

• Like 1

Sticks and Stones, sours…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until roasted, pick em out and flick them in the bin. Life is too short for bad coffee

5 hours ago, Slee said:

Mine won't be up for sale anytime soon. :)