IGNORED

WDT Tool

I made one from the cork of a special bottle of tequila.

Fortaleza tequila. Was amazing to drink and very easy to then use the cork, trim some pipe cleaners from eBay and stick in the cork.

Simple.

MVIMG_20201122_123513.jpg

• Like 2

The main problem with my version is the pins are fairly soft and will bend a bit like a paper clip. I think Reiss uses decent spring steel wires which don't easily kink. My pins came from a craft shop on Ebay, and I suspect that nichrome inoculation loops would also kink rather than spring. Might be worth buying a length of spring steel wire, but I'm not sure what gauge would be stiff enough without being overly thick. Maybe a G string? (stop sniggering at the back!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was tempted to make my own from spare bicycle spokes as I think the J bends on them would be quite good at mixing. Never got round to it and bought the Londinium one in the end, works well and wires are pretty sturdy.

388082AF-8933-4E68-B47B-D13FD14C62FB.jpeg

Edited by Northern_Monkey
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, hotmetal said:

The main problem with my version is the pins are fairly soft and will bend a bit like a paper clip. I think Reiss uses decent spring steel wires which don't easily kink. My pins came from a craft shop on Ebay, and I suspect that nichrome inoculation loops would also kink rather than spring. Might be worth buying a length of spring steel wire, but I'm not sure what gauge would be stiff enough without being overly thick. Maybe a G string? (stop sniggering at the back!)

I was thinking that stainless steel inoculation loops would do the job but they are quite expensive for just making one tool. It is a shame I don't work in a lab anymore. Spring steel wire might be a good choice. Might have to do some more investigating over christmas.

Something like this could work: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30pcs-Spinner-Lure-Making-Wire-Spinner-Shaft-Stainless-Steel-Bending-Forming-/223801783218

Edited by InfamousTuba
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It doesn’t need to be complicated... 

this was my fancy one for a while. It did the trick

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

1 hour ago, Northern_Monkey said:

I was tempted to make my own from spare bicycle spokes as I think the J bends on them would be quite good at mixing. Never got round to it and bought the Londinium one in the end, works well and wires are pretty sturdy.

388082AF-8933-4E68-B47B-D13FD14C62FB.jpeg

🤦‍♂️

I’ve never thought of this. Must have a thousand spokes in the garage. 

FWIW, I use WDT with every shot. With the Mignon grinder it’s almost a necessity with a bottomless PF. I just use a cocktail stick, nice as it doesn’t mark the basket at all. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Introducing the Sloughdinium MkII, new improved ghetto version of the LDT. Instead of a lump of Sugru and 3 easily bent eye pins, the 'luxury' (ha!) MkII now features a mini cork and longer, less bendable pins which are actually spring steel for making your own fishing lures. Couple of quid on Ebay via a slow boat from China.

The hotmetalette's response was 'just get one off Etsy and have done with it'. Muahahaha... my work here is done. I might suggest to her that my Christmas project is to make a 1-group dual boiler lever machine next, using bean cans and sweetie tins...
[emoji1][emoji1303]d1de40435584aa4e1dfd0a424057aac0.jpgeddd12ad9453d2857ae0580bf2755bd9.jpg

• Like 5
2 hours ago, hotmetal said:

... I might suggest to her...

Wow you're a brave man 😰 ....Rule No.1 in Happy Marriages (aka How to live longer), Never ever "suggest" anything to a woman unless there is a clear exit route; you are armed with flowers/chocolate/s; or your life is crap and you've decided to end it all and this seemed like a better option than head in the oven.

Well done on the ghetto version...IMO it just needs some "graffiti"/other to make it look "ard"

• Like 2
On 19/04/2020 at 09:29, adam85 said:

...Another excuse for me to show what I made at Christmas 😅😁  In my opinion, works well --- and in this time of lockdown, you've every right to make use of a bottled drink that has a cork to use 🙃

Nice advice chaps!

IMG_1272.JPG

Oooh yes, I get to share this again 🤣

Edited by adam85
  • Like 1
Introducing the Sloughdinium MkII, new improved ghetto version of the LDT. Instead of a lump of Sugru and 3 easily bent eye pins, the 'luxury' (ha!) MkII now features a mini cork and longer, less bendable pins which are actually spring steel for making your own fishing lures. Couple of quid on Ebay via a slow boat from China.

The hotmetalette's response was 'just get one off Etsy and have done with it'. Muahahaha... my work here is done. I might suggest to her that my Christmas project is to make a 1-group dual boiler lever machine next, using bean cans and sweetie tins...
[emoji1][emoji1303]d1de40435584aa4e1dfd0a424057aac0.jpgeddd12ad9453d2857ae0580bf2755bd9.jpg

Looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@hotmetal Those fishing lures look really good. 

I made one out of the classic pipe cleaners. It is serving me well, but they are a bit springy and the coffee tends to get stuck in the twists, so needs a wipe after each use. Something stiffer and that requires less maintenance would be a good upgrade. 

IMG_20200928_074147768.thumb.jpg.54161e4a6e2f689daf2e0c84d43e52e9.jpg

I had also looked at eye pins. Need to be careful of thickness. 

https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/759261095/25-or-100-extra-long-80mm-8cm-strong?ref=reviews 

If you wanted to go in to WDT production then this site sells rolls of 1.6mm wire - but straightening it is probably going to be the issue. 

https://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/ss316.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA_eb-BRB2EiwAGBnXXsy1gFuTcEeuZoc3jf0L0jR6g-nYEpV4Xd2SocxF9Ne_KUmPDxDC7RoCkQ8QAvD_BwE#ass1000_2d316_2d050

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1