IGNORED

What did the Postie bring you today - Part 2

1 hour ago, Shorticus said:

I've just got a bag of the Rukira. For my tastes it takes a bit of getting used to - not sure what it is, but there's a really distinctive note of something a bit harsh. It's probably more to do with my prep than the beans. 

It's an intriguing bean - one of the most difficult to roast that we've got. It did not taste good at all when Calvin first profiled it. His next attempts were much better, and I was pleasantly surprised when I tested it as espresso and filter. I do think the black tea comes through incredibly well, and I'm impressed how the tea note remains but evolves depending on whether I make it as espresso or filter. 

We wanted El Carmen Decaf, in truth, but couldn't find it. It was always my go-to from Crankhouse. But we promised ourselves that if we couldn't get a good decaf we wouldn't roast one at all. 

The Black Country Coffee Roastery
www.coffeebythecasuals.com - Discount Code: CFUK21
Instagram: @casuals_coffee

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joining the ranks, having received my @DogandHat sub yesterday. As I'm now officially on holiday I thought I'd take the opportunity to get back into photography after a very long hiatus. Lots of beans

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Coffee by the Casuals said:

It's an intriguing bean - one of the most difficult to roast that we've got. It did not taste good at all when Calvin first profiled it. His next attempts were much better, and I was pleasantly surprised when I tested it as espresso and filter. I do think the black tea comes through incredibly well, and I'm impressed how the tea note remains but evolves depending on whether I make it as espresso or filter. 

We wanted El Carmen Decaf, in truth, but couldn't find it. It was always my go-to from Crankhouse. But we promised ourselves that if we couldn't get a good decaf we wouldn't roast one at all. 

You're right, it's the black tea! I've just gone back and pulled a shot, and it's funny how things taste different when you've got a tangible reference. I guess part of the issue was coming straight from the Tanzanian decaf that blew my socks off to something completely different. So perhaps not 'harsh', but 'tannic'? 

I have to say that the work roasters are doing with decaf coffee is fantastic. It wasn't so long ago I wouldn't go near a decaf espresso with a barge pole, but now I'm really enjoying a number of different beans. Thanks for all your hard work!

• Like 1

I have the tiniest of Coffee Spaces imaginable. So have to make use of every possible surface including the adjacent side of the fridge. So today I got my Portakeeper, two Tamperkeepers and in preparation for single dosing with my Lagom P-64, bean tubes with magnetic racks to hold them to the fridge. Roll on mid-May and hopefully the delivery of my P-64. 

807F70A4-B820-471D-A7A6-198250BB7532.jpeg

• Like 1

Coffee. Because murder is wrong. 

17 minutes ago, Dallah said:

I have the tiniest of Coffee Spaces imaginable. So have to make use of every possible surface including the adjacent side of the fridge. So today I got my Portakeeper, two Tamperkeepers and in preparation for single dosing with my Lagom P-64, bean tubes with magnetic racks to hold them to the fridge. Roll on mid-May and hopefully the delivery of my P-64. 

807F70A4-B820-471D-A7A6-198250BB7532.jpeg

Like your thoughtful use of space. Who were your magnetic bean tube rack suppliers?

Some Daterra pentapacks of green coffee, can't wait to roast them...nice high cupping scores too. I love the high quality Daterras, drinking Daterra Sweet Collection at the moment.... Caramel, chocolate, almond...mmm

IMG_20210416_090513.thumb.jpg.ac30046760eb592c1808c5a0f20af167.jpgIMG_20210416_090859.thumb.jpg.7308f94c40a044bfa47c18d4a5b62011.jpg

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 2

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

2 hours ago, DavecUK said:

Some Daterra pentapacks of green coffee, can't wait to roast them...nice high cupping scores too. I love the high quality Daterras, drinking Daterra Sweet Collection at the moment.... Caramel, chocolate, almond...mmm

IMG_20210416_090513.thumb.jpg.ac30046760eb592c1808c5a0f20af167.jpgIMG_20210416_090859.thumb.jpg.7308f94c40a044bfa47c18d4a5b62011.jpg

Wakefield sells only wholesale greens, right? Is there a roaster, who sells these please? Thx 

“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” — Confucius

1 hour ago, Like Medium Strong Coffee said:

Wakefield sells only wholesale greens, right? Is there a roaster, who sells these please? Thx 

Only if they get them in to roast...usually the supply is fairly limited. @BlackCatCoffee may have some.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Thanks 1

899161310_ricehaiku.JPG.d69e44c11eab9645400547eea500ba1c.JPG

image.thumb.jpg.fdc69fd85027c8c72d9240c93aa24812.jpgVery impressed with the crank house 

didn’t get the grind quite right for a pour over for the Ethiopian - bit too fine causing bitterness but definitely some nice undertone in the cup. Feel it has a lot more to offer in terms of fruitiness 

Waiting for a delivery from Australia. I was running out of coffee so I went to local roaster and picked up 2 bags of Burundian  roasted by Per Nordby aka Coffee Fox.

4EF3032E-2D62-4022-A2AE-65239F1E73F6.jpeg

11EEBFAE-0397-4B99-BF33-B9DFAF249FF0.jpeg

• Like 1

Got to thinking, how am I going to get the beans into my single dosing bean cellars (test tubes) without half of them ending up on the kitchen floor. Found this little beauty on Amazon UK.  Designed to help in the filling of salt and pepper mills but luckily just the right size for coffee beans  

F7F85AB0-FB9A-493D-9A72-DAFF30066829.jpeg

• Like 2

Coffee. Because murder is wrong.