IGNORED

LSOL December - Obadiah Coffee [Edinburgh]

I’d probably describe something boozy if it has a rich dried fruit taste, dates, currents kind of thing. Where as berries are a cleaner taste ( if that makes any sense).

Full on funk is something that tastes a bit like it should be illegally distilled alcohol IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reveal time with Jan roaster thread going up soon!   La Candelilla - Costa Rica   By the Sanchez Family   Region - Tarrazu - San Marcos   Harvest - Feb 2020

Gone. Order placed

Well I’m very pleased to inform that my coffee arrived 5 mins ago Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted Images

8 hours ago, steffanjtaylor said:

The longer this coffee rests, the more washed it tastes. The first shot I pulled had a natural-type funk that seems to have disappeared; maybe a hybrid process?

Exactly what I've found as well. I'm going to cup it again tomorrow and see if it's different to before at all... CCD and cafetiere over the weekend, but I was away near Bath using plain tap water in a bit of a scaled up kettle, so could just have been the water muting the flavours. 

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, jaffro said:

Exactly what I've found as well. I'm going to cup it again tomorrow and see if it's different to before at all... CCD and cafetiere over the weekend, but I was away near Bath using plain tap water in a bit of a scaled up kettle, so could just have been the water muting the flavours. 

I'd be interested to hear what you find from another cupping.

I've been pulling the same shot (18g 2:2.1, 96c) using the same water and the difference seems appreciable.

I still taste the blood orange and vanilla creme style flavours, however the fermentation funk I would normally associate with a natural has dissipated, together with the unsweetened banana flavour; it tastes a lot cleaner now it has been rested for longer.

Still a delicious cup.

I'd be interested to hear what you find from another cupping.
I've been pulling the same shot (18g 2:2.1, 96c)

Is your group temp definitely 96c? The only reason I ask is that I generally go with 93-94c. There’s been occasions where I’ve gone 95 or 92 for a dark roast but very rarely.

3 minutes ago, urbanbumpkin said:

Is your group temp definitely 96c? The only reason I ask is that I generally go with 93-94c. There’s been occasions where I’ve gone 95 or 92 for a dark roast but very rarely.

Glad you say this! I also find that my brews are most on the 93C-94C camp, and that's with a Lelit Elizabeth. I've tried upping the temperature before, but I find a slight burnt/bitter after taste when grind is kept constant for a 2:1 ratio at around 35-39 seconds.

• Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

1 hour ago, urbanbumpkin said:

59 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Glad you say this! I also find that my brews are most on the 93C-94C camp, and that's with a Lelit Elizabeth. I've tried upping the temperature before, but I find a slight burnt/bitter after taste when grind is kept constant for a 2:1 ratio at around 35-39 seconds.

Unfortunately I don't have a group thermometer to check the precise temperature- though the onboard sensor reading from the boiler varies somewhere between 95-96c (when set to temperature setting II on the Mara X) and I don't expect there will be much thermal loss.

I usually intentionally raise to this setting following the common theory of light or light/medium roast -> higher temperature- I don't sense any appreciable burnt or bitter after taste with lighter roast coffees at this temperature; though I am merely a hobbyist coffee taster.

I have had a burnt/bitter flavour (almost like a cardboard aftertaste) of a higher temperature pull, with a darker medium roast though (when I have forgotten to reset the temperature on the machine back to the default 92-93c).

Edited by steffanjtaylor
  • Like 2

Just got into these today.

Agree with what others have said, getting a natural vibe from the beans in the bag. But not too funky.

tried an espresso 19g-40g in 30s. Very smooth and fruity

ACS Minima | Niche Zero| Clever dripper | Aeropress | V60 | Chemex