Espresso Vision - Roast Vision

This arrived today, they’re not officially available in the UK yet, but luckily my sister bought one for me in the States and sent it over.

96F1E3B7-A09A-4B70-9CB3-F3E1F32B0B61.jpeg.febdc31e7ad6786aa74d321dc308a225.jpeg2E02C0C2-CD5D-4503-BDED-E997BABE1716.jpeg.bdc2cc25e21703b77e5677752f714c8d.jpeg45DEEC0C-7AFF-4EBD-BE63-ACE2ED1D6886.jpeg.cf71c0727f080a9c2efb68dedc3a51f0.jpeg7D98AAE4-A05B-4981-8ABA-35786C37888D.jpeg.0f4677a9c7c145019afaa2d574e879c5.jpeg

6B1CE0E5-FFDC-47CB-8F0F-A98AB82FB128.thumb.jpeg.0487bf52a31d8eae1daecdb3f9cf8706.jpegD5FAE6E4-E89C-49AF-84FC-974539F830BF.thumb.jpeg.c84e88c78c38a88b414141758076334a.jpeg

It’s an interesting alternative to what’s on offer in the market at the moment and a hell of a lot cheaper - coming in at $299, though this is reflected in the finish which is functional, albeit not polished, being a 3D printed affair.

Zak Halvorson - the designer has used a board utilising near infrared to measure reflectance. He has created his own scale - though he is now working with an Agtron device to allow that more widely used scale in the future.

It’s early days yet on the testing front, but it’s certainly easy to use - only requiring a 1/4 teaspoon sample at a fine grind.

Above are 2 readings taken of 2 roast profiles from the same bean a Ugandan Natural Kisinga.

I’ll post more thoughts as I get to spend more time with the unit.

cheers Phil 

Edited by Beeroclock
  • Like 4

have you ever tried one of these?

https://www.timstar.co.uk/co04570-colorimeter-wpa-co7500-colourwave.html

would making a solution ( required) be ana issue ( if you make the same concentration of each solute to be measured)?

This could all be gibberish as I know nothing - but I really am interested.

I know nothing 😜

6 hours ago, Catlady101 said:

have you ever tried one of these?

https://www.timstar.co.uk/co04570-colorimeter-wpa-co7500-colourwave.html

would making a solution ( required) be ana issue ( if you make the same concentration of each solute to be measured)?

This could all be gibberish as I know nothing - but I really am interested.

Sorry Catlady, but the link doesn’t work for me. Had a quick look - I’m not sure how I use this. 
I have used a Nix pro colour meter to measure consistency in my roasts and compare against a Roastrite SwatchF278BC9F-20EF-4C79-97D3-3B6BC38E843D.thumb.jpeg.579be6ad76f1b9163350a6eb15ee2476.jpeg

This works quite well to gauge consistency, but the beauty of the Roast Vision is the speed of use and the small amount of coffee required to get a reading. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for letting me know, am learning as I go.

The link should have taken you to a simple colorimeter machine about €40, that I have used before for something completely different, in making and comparing types and concentrations of chemicals. It is simple to use, you simply make a specified solution, and compare it to others. It provides a specific reading in comparison to the base solution, often distilled deionised water.

When I saw your post I was thinking about that and wondered if anyone had used one for the same purposes as you, as at least then there would be one piece of coffee kit that I would already know how to use and calibrate/ fix 😸

Not that I plan on roasting my own, but you never know 🤨😄

I know nothing 😜

10 hours ago, Catlady101 said:

Thank you for letting me know, am learning as I go.

The link should have taken you to a simple colorimeter machine about €40, that I have used before for something completely different, in making and comparing types and concentrations of chemicals. It is simple to use, you simply make a specified solution, and compare it to others. It provides a specific reading in comparison to the base solution, often distilled deionised water.

When I saw your post I was thinking about that and wondered if anyone had used one for the same purposes as you, as at least then there would be one piece of coffee kit that I would already know how to use and calibrate/ fix 😸

Not that I plan on roasting my own, but you never know 🤨😄

It sounds like it might be useful with reference tiles so you don't have to compare the beans and tiles with the naked eye, instead using the machine. Would be an improvement I guess and may be a good cheap option.

Hang on, that thing costs £450. https://www.timstar.co.uk/co04570-colorimeter-wpa-co7500-colourwave.html

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

11 hours ago, Rob1 said:

It sounds like it might be useful with reference tiles so you don't have to compare the beans and tiles with the naked eye, instead using the machine. Would be an improvement I guess and may be a good cheap option.

Hang on, that thing costs £450. https://www.timstar.co.uk/co04570-colorimeter-wpa-co7500-colourwave.html

I am thinking the one listed for £34 plus VAT - promise

image.thumb.png.47412c44517fe1d79ed1d6072344752e.png

I know nothing 😜

If you google that model - they come up at around the £350-500 mark - so think that’s most likely an error on the website. 

Anyway making up solutions becomes complicated, the beauty of the Espresso Vision - is speed of use and no calibration needed. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Beeroclock said:

Anyway making up solutions becomes complicated, the beauty of the Espresso Vision - is speed of use and no calibration needed.

+1 👍

Recipe for success :- take 1 Sage machine, 1 flame, 5 litres of petrol and mix...add more petrol if required.