delonghi dedica ec685 shot “stats”

Hi all

I am trying to improve my espresso recipe and wanted to find out from other owners of a dedica on tips or tricks I may be missing . Firstly I understand that the dedica is def on the cheap end of espresso machines therefore I do not have the highest expectations. I was going to upgrade it but then decided to buy a niche grinder instead so for the short term I am stuck with it. I have bought a non pressurised basket for it off eBay which helps over the standard pressurised basket.

I guess I would like to find out what other people’s ‘recipes’ are as I have struggled to match what seems to be a traditional 1:2 ( ex 18g ground coffee to 36 grams liquid ) in around 28/29 seconds .

I have tried various grind settings And the best so far seems to be

18g coffee - 32 seconds to produce 50 grams coffee .

Any attempts to get the output coffee to close to 1:2 essentially seem choke the machine , for example I did manage 18 grams of ground coffee to 38 grams of liquid coffee but it took 50 seconds and the shot was disgusting .

So yeah anyway curious to hear from any other dedica owners if they have had similar issues etc .

Side question : is tamping really important ? I try to tamp the same but never really considered it essential so maybe should pay more attention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try down dosing a little e.g. 16g of coffee...see if that allows you to tighten the grind enough to get 1:2 in a reasonable time.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NickDa said:

Hi all

I am trying to improve my espresso recipe and wanted to find out from other owners of a dedica on tips or tricks I may be missing . Firstly I understand that the dedica is def on the cheap end of espresso machines therefore I do not have the highest expectations. I was going to upgrade it but then decided to buy a niche grinder instead so for the short term I am stuck with it. I have bought a non pressurised basket for it off eBay which helps over the standard pressurised basket.

I guess I would like to find out what other people’s ‘recipes’ are as I have struggled to match what seems to be a traditional 1:2 ( ex 18g ground coffee to 36 grams liquid ) in around 28/29 seconds .

I have tried various grind settings And the best so far seems to be

18g coffee - 32 seconds to produce 50 grams coffee .

Any attempts to get the output coffee to close to 1:2 essentially seem choke the machine , for example I did manage 18 grams of ground coffee to 38 grams of liquid coffee but it took 50 seconds and the shot was disgusting .

So yeah anyway curious to hear from any other dedica owners if they have had similar issues etc .

Side question : is tamping really important ? I try to tamp the same but never really considered it essential so maybe should pay more attention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, if you haven't read the thread 'delonghi non-pressurised great results', have a look as there's some folk who seem to have got a 1:2 or thereabouts extraction from the dedica. My own experience was that this was not really possible. I also bought a niche and experimented with a non-pressurised basket for a few weeks before I upgraded my machine. From memory a finer grind caused a fair bit of dripping before the coffee flowed through.

If you're getting out 50g from 18g in then that seems reasonable assuming it tastes OK,better than what I managed. I don't think the dedica is really designed to work too well with a non-pressured basket.

• Like 1

I'm using a non-pressurized basket and an OE Lido grinder and seem to get consistent results. 

I would also recommend trying with smaller amount. Currently my stats are 17g in, 32-35s and get about 48g liquid. It's not the best tasting shot, but at least it's consistently okay.